Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air really bad flickering
4906 20 2018-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chris Bergin
New
United States

Having a major flickering issue with my Mavic Air. First time I have noticed it. Video was shot in 4k on auto exposure.
[url=<iframe width=][/url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T23pWOTpZ7g&feature=youtu.be

2018-3-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That looks like the shade of the props.
Notice it goes away when you turn.
2018-3-13
Use props
ggeorgis
lvl.4
Greece

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-13 11:57
That looks like the shade of the props.
Notice it goes away when you turn.

I don't think in this case this is caused by the props. the flicker period is almost a second long....This looks to me as switching between two different exposure steps....Shouldn't happen
2018-3-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

ggeorgis Posted at 2018-3-13 22:53
I don't think in this case this is caused by the props. the flicker period is almost a second long....This looks to me as switching between two different exposure steps....Shouldn't happen

I don't think that is the case.
The props have a certain frequency and that is different from the framerate.
So every now and then the shade will be captured.
Notice it goes away when the drone turns.
2018-3-13
Use props
ggeorgis
lvl.4
Greece

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-13 23:16
I don't think that is the case.
The props have a certain frequency and that is different from the framerate.
So every now and then the shade will be captured.

It does not go away .... it is present during the last seconds of the video as well....its as if the camera was recording a pulsing light....
2018-3-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

ggeorgis Posted at 2018-3-14 00:50
It does not go away .... it is present during the last seconds of the video as well....its as if the camera was recording a pulsing light....

It does go away for some seconds after turning and returs after.
I would like to see some longer test shots in other conditions and gimbal positions before I rule out the props 100%

2018-3-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS, it might be something else of course.
But to rule out the props shade I would first like to see some more (longer) test shots under other circumstances.
2018-3-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

It could be the propellers shadow but needed to be verified. Please try to adjust the gimbal angle or test in a good light condition, but don't face towards the light source. If the issue persists, please select 1080P 50/60FPS to record again and provide the video to us for a better check. Thank you.
2018-3-14
Use props
Roberson Ricardo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3611440 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

pode ser reflexo do LED da frente
2018-3-14
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Def looks like prop shadow...it goes away as he turns
2018-3-14
Use props
Chris Bergin
New
United States

Thanks everyone. Here is another example. Hoping this helps show it differently. The drone seems to struggle to get a smooth exposure transition and in several places does the flickering again especially near the one min mark. For some reason it's not letting me embed the video so here is the link:

[url=<iframe width=][/url]
2018-3-14
Use props
Jollence
lvl.1
Flight distance : 713376 ft

Look like the Mavic Air also getting the same problem with Mavic pro. It is a GOP compression that create the flickering. Usually happen when shooting 4K.
2018-6-15
Use props
Malakai_UK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That looks like its down to an issue with the keyframes as DJI employ IPB compression. It looks like the flickering is actually due to compressor and the variance between the keyframes causing what appears to be a ramped exposure building up to the next keyframe where it goes back to normal.
2018-6-15
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

To me this looks like an issue with the drone switching back and forth between exposure values or shutter speeds on fixed ISO.

I've seen prop shadows and the way it looks, this is NOT prop shadow, not a chance.

Open a service ticket with DJI and cross your fingers you get a new drone!
2018-6-15
Use props
cspain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

Turn off the auto stuff  and go full manual to see if the issue goes away. You'll also get to feel like a real man too!
2018-6-15
Use props
Cientiros
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24367 ft
Slovenia

I’m having the same issue. At first I thought it was the memory SD card not being fast enough. I purchased the best I could find at MediaMarkt and I still get the flickering. I’ve read it may be the Auto ISO... Anyone figure this issue out?

https://www.facebook.com/100011379660099/posts/791513504571298/
2018-7-15
Use props
Cientiros
lvl.1
Slovenia

Cientiros Posted at 2018-7-15 22:24
I’m having the same issue. At first I thought it was the memory SD card not being fast enough. I purchased the best I could find at MediaMarkt and I still get the flickering. I’ve read it may be the Auto ISO... Anyone figure this issue out?

https://www.facebook.com/100011379660099/posts/791513504571298/

2018-7-15
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Are you sure this video comes directly from your SD card? To me it looks very much like the cached video from your mobile device.
2018-7-15
Use props
Cientiros
lvl.1
Slovenia

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-7-15 23:09
Are you sure this video comes directly from your SD card? To me it looks very much like the cached video from your mobile device.

I ruled out the SD card after purchasing a new one. I think its an auot setting. Next im going to try resetting all customisation which is almost like 4 mods.
2018-7-15
Use props
b3da
lvl.2
Flight distance : 578169 ft
Czechia

This is not related IMHO.
OP's issue seems to be related to auto exposure skipping up and down in difficult light conditions (high contrast, big part of screen is white foam reflecting sun, which can lead to this behavior), should be fixed with manual exposure or AE lock setting.
Cientiros's on the other hand looks, like what i saw when AC overheats, or when you run out of caching space on phone (idk how it is related to writing on the sd card, but every time i run out of space on phone running dji go app, the videos on drone sd card are pretty much unusable, just like on the sample video)..

edit: btw, i don't fly MA (but Spark and MPP), but these issues seems to be common with the drones..
2018-7-15
Use props
Cientiros
lvl.1

So I figured out my issue was also the auto setting. I now record everything in manual.
2018-8-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules