Black vs White Mavic Air
13942 35 2018-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
roach25
lvl.1
United States

Trying to decide which color to get for the mavic air; white or black?
I like the black colorway better, but the white will reflect the sun....

Any experience or advice?
This will be my first drone.

2018-3-13
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
New Zealand

I debated which to get also, and ended up with the white - it's a lot more noticeable when in the air due to the contrast of it being both black and white. My friend got the black, and whilst it's very sleek looking, i find it harder to keep track of. Your mileage may vary!
2018-3-13
Use props
ChaosKnign
lvl.4
Flight distance : 402877 ft
United States

You’re not going to be looking at it once it’s in the air. ;)

As far as it overheating, never heard of any doing so. I have a black one and live in Southern California... I don’t think you can get sunnier than that. ;)

My suggestion is to go with whatever you think looks cool when you pull it out of the bag. =)
2018-3-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The black one does look a lot more cool IMO
2018-3-14
Use props
roach25
lvl.1
United States

ChaosKnign Posted at 2018-3-13 19:03
You’re not going to be looking at it once it’s in the air. ;)

As far as it overheating, never heard of any doing so. I have a black one and live in Southern California... I don’t think you can get sunnier than that. ;)

Thanks if you aren’t having issue in Cali I doubt I would in Michigan lol
2018-3-14
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a white Spark and a Black and a Red Mavic Air.  Once they get more than just a little bit away in the air, I can't really see the difference in any of them as far as visibility.  I think if I were to crash them and have to go hunt for them, the red one would probably be the easiest to find in a tree or some brush with the black one being the hardest.
2018-3-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Black is like a baby inspire2 cool...
2018-3-14
Use props
V_kingo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 310157 ft
Chile

Have you seen the red one?

2018-3-14
Use props
Axeli
Second Officer
Flight distance : 339416 ft
Czechia

Pick the color you like. I'm buying all gadgets in black usually. But MA looks weird in black, white one looks so much better IMO. Also, you can always buy some skin https://goo.gl/rWRKKA
2018-3-14
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'd go for white, crash damage on the shell is not as noticeable and being non gloss it won't show up scratches as well
2018-3-14
Use props
Acenspades
lvl.3
United States

TBH that's like asking if you like blonde, brunette, or reds.  personal preference or if you have enough money just get all.
2018-3-14
Use props
Robothamster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51135 ft
United Kingdom

I have the black.  It looks really nice, but is a serious finger print magnet.

I think in hindsight, if I was to buy again I would go for the Red one.
2018-3-14
Use props
roach25
lvl.1
United States

Acenspades Posted at 2018-3-14 08:24
TBH that's like asking if you like blonde, brunette, or reds.  personal preference or if you have enough money just get all.

I’m not necessarily asking what color people prefer. I’m more worried about if the black will be negatively impacted by the sun.
2018-3-14
Use props
roach25
lvl.1
United States

V_kingo Posted at 2018-3-14 05:44
Have you seen the red one?

[view_image]

Yeah. Not a huge fan of red
2018-3-14
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

50-100 ft away from you they look all the same i believe.
The black one is the coolest though.
2018-3-14
Use props
ImTravis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109734 ft
United States

I got the white one for recovery.. Easier for me to spot the white one than the black one (cause of shadows), but red would probably stand out the best.
2018-3-14
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
United States

"You’re not going to be looking at it once it’s in the air".       An odd statement.
2018-3-14
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
lvl.4
New Zealand

Far_North Posted at 2018-3-14 09:19
"You’re not going to be looking at it once it’s in the air".       An odd statement.

Agreed.

I really notice the white on mine when it turns toward me and i'm bringing it home (depending on distance of course). If sun heat is OP's main concern, i wouldn't worry about it - just get whatever you like the look of.
2018-3-14
Use props
Acenspades
lvl.3
United States

roach25 Posted at 2018-3-14 08:41
I’m not necessarily asking what color people prefer. I’m more worried about if the black will be negatively impacted by the sun.

Thanks for the clarification.
TBH, the black will not negatively be impacted by the sun.  Electronic components, non military civilian components, have pretty good tolerance for heat.
Yes, i know people will say "but then why did DJI incorporate a fan and vents to cool the drone?"  That's just good manufacturing standards.  Kinda like how there are fans and vents in computers.
2018-3-14
Use props
ChaosKnign
lvl.4
Flight distance : 402877 ft
United States

Far_North Posted at 2018-3-14 09:19
"You’re not going to be looking at it once it’s in the air".       An odd statement.

Ha!

In retrospect, it does sound odd.

What I meant is that you weren't going to be able to appreciate the color once it's in the air. ;D
2018-3-14
Use props
roach25
lvl.1
United States

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-3-14 04:34
I have a white Spark and a Black and a Red Mavic Air.  Once they get more than just a little bit away in the air, I can't really see the difference in any of them as far as visibility.  I think if I were to crash them and have to go hunt for them, the red one would probably be the easiest to find in a tree or some brush with the black one being the hardest.

Im more concerned that the sun will have a negative impact on the black MA, where as the white would reflect the sun
2018-3-14
Use props
roach25
lvl.1
United States

FlyDK Posted at 2018-3-14 08:46
50-100 ft away from you they look all the same i believe.
The black one is the coolest though.

Im more concerned that the sun will have a negative impact on the black MA, where as the white would reflect the sun
2018-3-14
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

ChaosKnign Posted at 2018-3-13 19:03
You’re not going to be looking at it once it’s in the air. ;)

As far as it overheating, never heard of any doing so. I have a black one and live in Southern California... I don’t think you can get sunnier than that. ;)

And the red looks very cool, and we all know that red is faster too... ;-)
2018-3-14
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
lvl.4
New Zealand

OP, I don’t think sun heat will be an issue.

Late yesterday afternoon I was flying a couple of hundred meters away from me,  in front of a stand of trees - lost sight of the drone, but the flash of white made it quite easy to spot when I turned it towards me. I have also noticed that all the guts from the insects that the props slice up while flying stands out more on the white   (have to give it a wipe with a damp cloth or paper towel when I get home!)
2018-3-18
Use props
the0bone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11896 ft
Germany

I tool the black because the white one have a image issue.
The black one look professional. The white one look like this freaky drones that no neighbor like to see.
But this black technical looking thing. Hey, this guy is doing a serious job.

Same to the red. Look like a toy that can crash at any time of the day.

And sure, never fly in restricted areas. But if you do so (or somebody is assuming you are doing it) and you land and put it quickly into your pocket, the black one is less noticeable.
2018-3-18
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
United States

lannes Posted at 2018-3-14 06:11
I'd go for white, crash damage on the shell is not as noticeable and being non gloss it won't show up scratches as well

Actually, the red is really easy to get rid of scratches.  Because it is glossy (rather than the matte finishes), you can use a high quality plastic polish system (like Novus or Maguires).  Takes minor scuffs right out, and puts a shine on it like you just rolled it off the showroom floor ;)  
2018-3-18
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

I got the White one, it's an open canvas, a buddy of mine (airbrush artist) at my local bike shop will put one of these on it with a clear coat for $50 USD take him about an hour. He can dry the paint between layers in 5 minutes with an ultraviolet dryer.
2018-3-18
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Great to see that so many don't have any other problem or thought than colour!
My MA is working perfectly so far, just in case this is of any interest ;-)
2018-3-18
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
lvl.4
New Zealand

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-18 14:12
Great to see that so many don't have any other problem or thought than colour!
My MA is working perfectly so far, just in case this is of any interest ;-)

That's really good to hear, but more importantly, what colour is it?!?!   
2018-3-18
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Face-AcheNZ Posted at 2018-3-18 14:22
That's really good to hear, but more importantly, what colour is it?!?!

When flying I only see the bottom, and that is black for all of them ;-)
2018-3-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-18 14:38
When flying I only see the bottom, and that is black for all of them ;-)

I noticed that Apple UK only sell the arctic white version - they sell silver, black, red mobiles etc but why they only focus on white DJI drones is strange!
2018-3-18
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

A CW Posted at 2018-3-18 14:43
I noticed that Apple UK only sell the arctic white version - they sell silver, black, red mobiles etc but why they only focus on white DJI drones is strange!

Because they are by far the most beautiful like my one
2018-3-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-18 14:45
Because they are by far the most beautiful like my one

You got the white one? Cool! If I do ever buy one it will be from Apple so there we have it
2018-3-18
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

A CW Posted at 2018-3-18 14:47
You got the white one? Cool! If I do ever buy one it will be from Apple so there we have it

Yes, I have the white one because it was the fastest shipping at launch and because I like the colour (my Spark was white too). But I do admit, that the two other colours look very good too. Luckily there are many tastes in this world, otherwise it would be terribly boring ;-).
P.S. Apart of that I am pretty sure that the colour will have no impact on their performance ;-)
2018-3-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-18 14:57
Yes, I have the white one because it was the fastest shipping at launch and because I like the colour (my Spark was white too). But I do admit, that the two other colours look very good too. Luckily there are many tastes in this world, otherwise it would be terribly boring ;-).
P.S. Apart of that I am pretty sure that the colour will have no impact on their performance ;-)

Purely cosmetic and a matter of personal taste! I do like the look of the black one - very sleek. Though platinum is my favourite ;-)
2018-3-18
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
lvl.4
New Zealand

These look like a really nice quality product;
https://www.wrapgrade.jp/Wrapgra ... r-Unit-A-p100805278

Much better than the cheaper looking ones on the likes of Aliexpress.
2018-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules