Charging iPhone 6s with Osmo Mobile2
7983 8 2018-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tonya
New

United States

Just received the Osmo Mobile2 yesterday. I like the features but am stymied in how to charge an iPhone 6s using the Osmo Mobile 2's hefty battery: the phone charging cable inserts into the same side that is blocked by the Osmo Mobile2 mounting hardware.
Am I doing something incorrectly?

In use during a one-hour meeting, the fully-charged phone dropped to less than 10% with Osmo use, so having that charging capability will really be necessary. In case I'm not doing anything wrong in attempting this (but it's highly likely I am), is there a possible workaround? This would be a deal-killer for me.

Side note: At the meeting, one of the attendees walked out of the meeting, gestured to me to follow her and then asked all about the Osmo and where *she* could get one... Now if I could only charge the phone!
2018-3-14
Use props
DJT_MVSP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

You could try putting your phone in reverse landscape (camera may be blocked by osmo)
OR
Buy a right angle cable like these ones here: Right Angle lighting Cables @ Amazon
2018-3-14
Use props
Tonya
New

United States

DJT_MVSP Posted at 2018-3-14 10:31
You could try putting your phone in reverse landscape (camera may be blocked by osmo)
OR
Buy a right angle cable like these ones here: Right Angle lighting Cables @ Amazon

Thanks--reverse landscape doesn't do it (camera lens is blocked). I'll order one of the right-angle cables, but I was concerned that the "distance" required for that would still impair proper function of the Osmo unit...hmmm...guess I'll just have to order one and try it. I'll come back and report.
2018-3-14
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

Tonya Posted at 2018-3-14 10:37
Thanks--reverse landscape doesn't do it (camera lens is blocked). I'll order one of the right-angle cables, but I was concerned that the "distance" required for that would still impair proper function of the Osmo unit...hmmm...guess I'll just have to order one and try it. I'll come back and report.

The right angle cable will do the trick, but it will drain your gimbal's battery faster because the motors will be working harder to balance both the cable and the phone.  With my iphone 8 plus, the Osmo Mobile 2 lasted less than 2 hours while charging the phone.
2018-3-14
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

The real question here is why did the DJI GO app drain your iPhone 6s battery so fast?  DJI needs to take a good hard look at the OM2 portion of the DJI GO app and see what is going on.  DJI GO is draining batteries way too fast.
2018-3-14
Use props
Tonya
New

United States

BobWinNV Posted at 2018-3-14 11:26
The real question here is why did the DJI GO app drain your iPhone 6s battery so fast?  DJI needs to take a good hard look at the OM2 portion of the DJI GO app and see what is going on.  DJI GO is draining batteries way too fast.

So, as a total new user to this technology, if I were to use FilmicPro, instead of the DJI GO app, would the battery use be as high? I know I'd lose *some* of the capabilities, but FilmicPro is supported by the OM2....
2018-3-14
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tonya Posted at 2018-3-14 12:26
So, as a total new user to this technology, if I were to use FilmicPro, instead of the DJI GO app, would the battery use be as high? I know I'd lose *some* of the capabilities, but FilmicPro is supported by the OM2....

Both the iOS camera app and the Filmic Pro camera app use less battery then the DJI GO app.  DJI needs to revisit the GO app.
2018-3-14
Use props
Tonya
New

United States

Thanks, BobWinNV, for the insight. Now *I* don't have to do the testing
2018-3-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Actually, we recommend to take Osmo mobile 2 simply as a power bank, it is not recommended to charge the phone when Osmo Mobile 2 is working although it is supported in function, it is not necessary to turn on the device by keep pressing the power button, you only need to press once, the mobile phone be will be charged.
If you still would like to charge the mobile phone when Osmo Mobile 2 is working, please try vertical mode, please refer to this video beginning at 1:03:
2018-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules