14260 20 2018-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gabryxx7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 210 ft
Italy

Hello everybody,

I recently purchased a Mavic Air, after the initial bad luck (I did not know about DJI care refresh 48h limit, and on the very first flight the drone stopped responding to my commands and just flew straight through some trees), I am finally a bit more confident with the drone and I kept on testing it.

The problem is that every video or picture looks terrible, not even close to what I have seen online, grainy and noisy no matter the settings (I always try to keep the ISO as low as possible) especially if I compare them to my D3400 or even to my phone.

I am attaching some pics taken straight from the microSD, settings are manual, single shot, RAW, custom -1 -1 -1, ISO 100, f/2.8.

DJI_0037.jpg
DJI_0038.jpg
HDR_0001.jpg
HDR_0002.jpg
2018-3-14
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

Try changing to custom +1 -1 -1
2018-3-14
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

It's a cellphone camera, it's not going to compare favorably to your Nikon. That said, you might try turning on your Histogram, using its readout to get better exposed photos. A little work in post will punch these up nicely, but it won't approach your Nikon unless the light is exceptional.
2018-3-14
Use props
Gabryxx7
lvl.1
Italy

@Ex Machina
Do you think it's normal to have this amount of noise/grain? I am just concerned that I may have gotten a faulty camera. I know the sensor is way smaller and won't ever be even close to the Nikon, but I though it was way too much, even when compared to my cellphone camera (which I guess can be considered as similar to the Air's).
2018-3-14
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Gabryxx7 Posted at 2018-3-14 11:02
@Ex Machina
Do you think it's normal to have this amount of noise/grain? I am just concerned that I may have gotten a faulty camera. I know the sensor is way smaller and won't ever be even close to the Nikon, but I though it was way too much, even when compared to my cellphone camera (which I guess can be considered as similar to the Air's).

Want to post the RAW versions somewhere we can look at?
2018-3-14
Use props
Gabryxx7
lvl.1
Italy

Thank you, I uploaded them here: https://drive.google.com/open?id ... olwK6xCKzUuZ1C_oNTr
2018-3-14
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Meh, it's kind of hard to tell. I'm only looking at the second shot, DJI_0020.DNG, which is the one shot of the set that is reasonably evenly exposed. There does appear to be more noise in the sky than I typically see in my Mavic Pro, but I wouldn't call it excessive and is anyway easily addressed in Lightroom by adding some sharpening mask so that the sharpening algorithm ignores the sky.

Fwiw, I would, for the moment, ignore everyone's advice to the contrary and shoot with default sharpness/saturation/contrast settings until you are comfortable with nailing exposure, and then experiment/fine tune from a position of experience. Settings that work well on a Spark or Mavic Pro are likely to lead you astray since this is a totally different camera from any other DJI product.

Hope this helps.
2018-3-14
Use props
Gabryxx7
lvl.1
Italy

Thank you, I'll test it out as soon as the sun will shine again
Another thing that was worrying me is how I set sharpening to -1 and even then the noise was quite high, while I thought it should have been way lower, leaving the image soft.
2018-3-15
Use props
palomosan
lvl.1
United States

I was having similar issues in the beginning, it won't compare to my DSLR in some areasWhen it's getting dark it gets noisier in auto mode, in manual mode I get better results.
I also shoot raw and videos in manual, my first flight I wasn't pleased but after it's gotten better.
2018-3-15
Use props
Berg I Imagery
First Officer
Flight distance : 70577 ft
United States

I've seen a lot of noise in mine, as well.  Assuming it's pretty normal based on the feedback I've heard from others here.
2018-3-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Gabryxx7 Posted at 2018-3-15 01:41
Thank you, I'll test it out as soon as the sun will shine again
Another thing that was worrying me is how I set sharpening to -1 and even then the noise was quite high, while I thought it should have been way lower, leaving the image soft.

Looking forward to your feedback, and I had forwarded the files you provided above to our engineers to confirm. Will come back to you once I hear from them.
2018-3-18
Use props
fanse275329d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33159 ft
Netherlands

any update on this?
2018-5-24
Use props
Gabryxx7
lvl.1
Australia

I had the time to use the drone a bit more, pictures are still not that satisying to me, but again I may be comparing it to my DSLR, and I know the picture quality can never be even close.
I set sharpness to +2, but I don't remember the other settings, will update as soon as I check again. The quality is much better and I always shoot both videos and pics in manual mode
DJI_0283.jpg
DJI_0298.jpg
HDR_0002.jpg
2018-5-27
Use props
KeplerStar
lvl.2
Flight distance : 551739 ft
Russia

Sorry to get into your title, but I have the same problem, maybe even worse. Knowledgeable people, please tell me this is a normal picture for these video settings (2k, 0, -3, -2, D-Cinelike, 100 iso, 50 fps, 1/100 ss, 8 nd-pl.)?
https://yadi.sk/i/s45InnGr3WWpBU
2018-5-27
Use props
djiuser_iz6QjnXJsCL7
New

Canada

KeplerStar Posted at 2018-5-27 22:49
Sorry to get into your title, but I have the same problem, maybe even worse. Knowledgeable people, please tell me this is a normal picture for these video settings (2k, 0, -3, -2, D-Cinelike, 100 iso, 50 fps, 1/100 ss, 8 nd-pl.)?
https://yadi.sk/i/s45InnGr3WWpBU

Nothing found in the link
2018-8-6
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Its like comparing apples and pears. The Mavic Air tend to have lots of sharpening effects in the image. Contrast makes that worse from what i experience. I set my contrast to -2, rest is default. Also, too bright sunny conditions will definitely give you a freeze, too sharp effect with a very high shutter speed.  Contrast in the shadows give me lots of noise as well. Test it, and see what you think.
Your images above, have a soft, blurriness. Not super sharp, although you set your sharpness to +2. I will even push my sharpness to -1, contrast to -3 and leave the saturation.
Hope it helps. Test it, and let us know.
2018-8-6
Use props
Impax Films
lvl.1
Flight distance : 77156 ft
United States

Same problem here with my Manic Air.  Nothing is clear and beautiful as my Phantom 3 Pro was, or my P4, which is likely out of service permanently now.  Other than the quality of images, I LOVE the Manic Air.  But isn't that the purpose, is to get quality images and vids?   I feel like I'm saying I LOVE my new vehicle even though it only has a one cylinder engine.
2019-8-4
Use props
sonofthesun
lvl.2
Ukraine

First photoes looks to be well under-exposed.
Don't compare quality to DSLR.
Expose image properly and you should be ok more or less(but still don't forget chip size And check Mavic 2 pro for DSLR image quality.
2019-8-5
Use props
Edward Smith's Replacement
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1837444 ft
United States

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid1924096
2019-8-9
Use props
cadwr
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I assume you are using the DNG files. I found the same problem with my old Phantom, but the Mavic seems better! Actually, the Jpegs seem to work better that the DNG files [!] Minimal sharpening in PS & gentle levels adjustment seems best for me. Are you editing in Photoshop? Because of the small sensor & 12 mp files, it is easy to introduce noise / grain / artifacts by over-editing.
2019-8-14
Use props
Mr Sepo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 929334 ft
Australia

I had the same issue.   Knocking the contrast down cleared it up a bit more, then colour correct in post.  Foliage and shadows always were the worst.  In the end I upgraded to M2P after I just wanted the quality to be better.
2019-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules