New Pilot Question; Offline Maps
3417 13 2018-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Silvex
lvl.3

United States

I've been reading various checklists and tip threads posted on this forum. Some recommend putting the phone in airplane mode and downloading offline maps. How do you do this?

I'm using iOS and looking for it here:

DJI GO 4 Screen Shot

DJI GO 4 Screen Shot
2018-3-14
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

What you are looking for "off line maps" has been removed . DJI   said it was unstable.

This works some what for me. Was explained on the Forum awhile back.

Make sure you are connected to wifi and open DJI go 4 app. Enter device. touch the 3 dots in upper right corner, make sure that "Cache Map in the Background" is set to on. Go to display page and touch the map enlarging it. Go to the area you are going to fly. Move the map around ,zooming in and zooming out. This should save the map in the cache. When you fly that area it should be displayed.

I found it doesn't have great detail but seemed to work. There is probably a better way of doing it. Hopefully someone will tell us.
2018-3-15
Use props
Silvex
lvl.3

United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-3-15 18:30
What you are looking for "off line maps" has been removed . DJI   said it was unstable.

This works some what for me. Was explained on the Forum awhile back.

Thank for the information. I was starting to suspect there were no maps because no one replied. So if that is the case, it seems more important to have a map real-time. Is there a big problem with having the cell phone connection on while flying? It seems like the mavic and the app are designed for that.
2018-3-15
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

Most fly with the phone connected but I heard it was a good idea to be in airplane mode. Don't want an uninspected call to disrupt DJI GO 4 App.

I use an IPad mini 4 with just Wi-Fi. Never had the use for the GPS. Mavic uses it for the Follow Me mode where it tracks the device (phone/IPad) and not the controller or subject.  
I use Active Track where it follows the subject.

2018-3-16
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

This is exactly what DJI is recommending until the offline maps might be back one day.
2018-3-16
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-16 07:49
This is exactly what DJI is recommending until the offline maps might be back one day.

Thanks Wachtberger for agreeing with my reply.

I am always afraid I might give the wrong advice. I try to research all my replies before I give them. The last thing I want is to cause someone to crash.
2018-3-16
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

B1houdini Posted at 2018-3-16 08:03
Thanks Wachtberger for agreeing with my reply.

I am always afraid I might give the wrong advice. I try to research all my replies before I give them. The last thing I want is to cause someone to crash.

You are most welcome and I always see helpful posts from you, thank you for that!
2018-3-16
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-16 08:06
You are most welcome and I always see helpful posts from you, thank you for that!

Wachtberger,

Thank you and someday I hope to  be as knowledgeable as you.
2018-3-16
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

B1houdini Posted at 2018-3-16 08:17
Wachtberger,

Thank you and someday I hope to  be as knowledgeable as you.

Oh, thank you but I don't know that much and there is still so much to learn for me! This is why I love this forum, it provides a wealth of accrued knowledge from very experienced pilots and from whom I am happy to learn.
2018-3-16
Use props
Silvex
lvl.3

United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-16 07:49
This is exactly what DJI is recommending until the offline maps might be back one day.

Good stuff gentlemen. Thank you! I will try caching the maps. Also, would there be a downside to flying with LTE on in Do Not Disturb mode in the iPhone?
2018-3-16
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Used this option all the time and has been good. iPad Mini 4 wifi so need to cache in the background to see where I'm going. Nothing wrong with this method.
2018-3-16
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Silvex Posted at 2018-3-16 08:27
Good stuff gentlemen. Thank you! I will try caching the maps. Also, would there be a downside to flying with LTE on in Do Not Disturb mode in the iPhone?

Unfortunately I can't help you with this question. I have no iPhone experience at all and fly myself with CrystalSky (no cell, no internet). But others certainly are able to answer.
2018-3-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

The iOS devices do not have offline map to download. But you can try to cache the map when you have WiFi resource. This is the route: enable "Cache Map in the Background", navigate the map to the destination you would go, when the names show, the cache finished. You can shut down the internet and check the map again.
2018-3-18
Use props
Silvex
lvl.3

United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-3-18 01:21
The iOS devices do not have offline map to download. But you can try to cache the map when you have WiFi resource. This is the route: enable "Cache Map in the Background", navigate the map to the destination you would go, when the names show, the cache finished. You can shut down the internet and check the map again.

Thanks for your reply! Others in the posts above have recommended the same thing. I've already tried it. It works great. The question I still have though, is whether DJI recommends turning off LTE while flying. Some people recommend doing so to mitigate interference.

But I have not seen anything in the manuals that address the issue. It seems like with cellphones and the drones being on completely different frequencies, there should not be an issue. Do you know of any problems flying with the cellular connection active?
2018-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules