1125 15 2018-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drone 5150
lvl.2
Flight distance : 88294 ft
United States

I have two DJI aircraft. My P4 was flying fine until attempting to do the most recent firmware update.  I've done all of the previous updates no problem.  It's bricked now.  Won't recognize SD card, intermittent transmission signal, overheats. Connects to RC fine. Fails firmware update at 55% or 72% depending on whether or not I'm using Assistant or Go App.  Tried every update combo that I know of. After several emails back and forth with Rickson of DJI (very polite and courteous...) he says to send it in for estimate, but that it has something to do with the gimbal somehow based on update logs.  This concerns me because he seems to be saying that it's not related to update but rather to a hardware issue.  I would like to hear from others who have had non warranty repairs performed by DJI.  I've heard of horror stories of sending Aircraft to DJI and being told they will not return the craft unless you pay for complete repairs.  I really don't want to be forced to spend $500.00 or whatever on a machine that I've already spent $1500.00 plus on. Is there a max repair fee? I don't have a case number, but my email request# is 1024700.  I would like to hear of your experiences.
This whole firmware fragility issue makes me VERY hesitant to buy another DJI product.  I realize that many of you have not have not experienced this.  I had not for four years... but until it happens to you, you can't fully appreciate the level of frustration involved.

Thanks for listening...
2018-3-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I'm sorry to read the issue. Regarding the repair cost, it can be confirmed after the local team received the unit and did the damage assessment. Here is the link of accessories price, just for your reference:
https://repair.dji.com/repair/price-inquiry
2018-3-14
Use props
Drone 5150
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-14 18:11
I'm sorry to read the issue. Regarding the repair cost, it can be confirmed after the local team received the unit and did the damage assessment. Here is the link of accessories price, just for your reference:
https://repair.dji.com/repair/price-inquiry

Thanks for your reply... What about the return policy mentioned above? Is that true? On a side note, do you really look like that?
2018-3-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Drone 5150 Posted at 2018-3-14 18:46
Thanks for your reply... What about the return policy mentioned above? Is that true? On a side note, do you really look like that?

If you do not want to pay for the repair, we will arrange return without repair, no worries. If you encounter any difficulties in the repair progress, feel free to contact us with your case number, we'll be here for help.
2018-3-14
Use props
Drone 5150
lvl.2
United States

Thanks. You guys have always been quick to reply. I appreciate that. I will probably send it in. I’ll repost with an update if I decide to do that. Thanks again
2018-3-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Drone 5150 Posted at 2018-3-14 19:04
Thanks. You guys have always been quick to reply. I appreciate that. I will probably send it in. I’ll repost with an update if I decide to do that. Thanks again

It is our great honor to support you, hope the issue will get sorted out soon.
2018-3-14
Use props
Drone 5150
lvl.2
United States

OK, So I made a repair request. Case# CAS-1558473-S5G1W1.  Since engineering concluded it was a possible gimble issue, I selected "Malfunctioning Component" option instead of "Whole Product Set" so I planned to only send in the aircraft  not the remote. My concern is that the UPS Shipping that I received shows shipping weight of only one pound, which doesn't seem enough to cover the drone weight.  Should I have selected Whole product set to send in both, or should I be OK to just send in the drone?
2018-3-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Drone 5150 Posted at 2018-3-15 17:26
OK, So I made a repair request. Case# CAS-1558473-S5G1W1.  Since engineering concluded it was a possible gimble issue, I selected "Malfunctioning Component" option instead of "Whole Product Set" so I planned to only send in the aircraft  not the remote. My concern is that the UPS Shipping that I received shows shipping weight of only one pound, which doesn't seem enough to cover the drone weight.  Should I have selected Whole product set to send in both, or should I be OK to just send in the drone?

No worries about the weight, please package the possible damaged part and then bring it to a local post deposit to send in.
2018-3-15
Use props
Drone 5150
lvl.2
United States

Alright, it's been shipped.  So far it's been a fairly painless experience.  Will the repair facility refer to the emails I've had with support (which had a LOT of information), or just base their diagnosis on information that I provided on the online repair request?  Thanks again
2018-3-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Drone 5150 Posted at 2018-3-16 16:03
Alright, it's been shipped.  So far it's been a fairly painless experience.  Will the repair facility refer to the emails I've had with support (which had a LOT of information), or just base their diagnosis on information that I provided on the online repair request?  Thanks again

The local team will do damage assessment according to all info you offered. You can also check the case status from here: https://repair.dji.com/en/support/RepairTrace
2018-3-16
Use props
Drone 5150
lvl.2
United States

I received my quote today.  $195.00 for repairs.  It was fine before firmware.  It flew fine... How is this possible?  It's just not ethical or acceptable.  Can you please help me out ?  Case# CAS-1558473-S5G1W1
2018-3-21
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Drone 5150 Posted at 2018-3-21 06:33
I received my quote today.  $195.00 for repairs.  It was fine before firmware.  It flew fine... How is this possible?  It's just not ethical or acceptable.  Can you please help me out ?  Case# CAS-1558473-S5G1W1

Hi there, I have checked your case, the parts that needed to be repaired were not caused by the firmware update. And your drone has also expired the warranty period, thus, sorry to tell that you might need to pay the repair fee. damage assessment.png
2018-3-21
Use props
Drone 5150
lvl.2
United States

I do appreciate your help. I have seen that invoice.  That's what I don't understand.  It was flying fine with no error codes whatsoever.  I just decided to check firmware updates and started this nightmare.  I've seen others complain of very similar issues- Froze at 55% during update, no longer recognizes SD card, loss of video transmission, fan cycling etc.  It seems like this is more common than it should be.  We shouldn't feel fear every time we do an update.  Something is not right in my opinion.  I have filed a complaint via email with support as well and they are forwarding that complaint to the powers that be.  Hopefully I'm not confusing things by discussing the case on this forum as well as email support.  Again, Thank you.
2018-3-22
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Drone 5150 Posted at 2018-3-22 03:26
I do appreciate your help. I have seen that invoice.  That's what I don't understand.  It was flying fine with no error codes whatsoever.  I just decided to check firmware updates and started this nightmare.  I've seen others complain of very similar issues- Froze at 55% during update, no longer recognizes SD card, loss of video transmission, fan cycling etc.  It seems like this is more common than it should be.  We shouldn't feel fear every time we do an update.  Something is not right in my opinion.  I have filed a complaint via email with support as well and they are forwarding that complaint to the powers that be.  Hopefully I'm not confusing things by discussing the case on this forum as well as email support.  Again, Thank you.

Updating firmware will help drone check itself carefully and identify the faulty part. Since you still have doubt in this damage assessment, I would forward you doubt about the case and our local team will take care of your case and follow it for you. Please wait patiently.

2018-3-22
Use props
Drone 5150
lvl.2
United States

Well, after all is said and done...
All repairs and shipping have been completed.  For FREE! On my 2 year old drone!  FANTASTIC customer service!  They replaced all of the parts above and also the right side landing gear as well.  Like a brand new machine!  VERY quick turn around, email updates at every step.  I did make a request to escalate the case to management after the initial quote.  Very courteous reply via email and home phone indicating it would be free of charge.  I know some have had issues, but my experience was great... Now, hopefuly my heat/stress cracked battery won't give me a problem ;)
THANK YOU!
2018-3-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Drone 5150 Posted at 2018-3-28 19:34
Well, after all is said and done...
All repairs and shipping have been completed.  For FREE! On my 2 year old drone!  FANTASTIC customer service!  They replaced all of the parts above and also the right side landing gear as well.  Like a brand new machine!.
THANK YOU!

Glad to know everything turns out to be great, hope you have a great time with it, if there is any further issue, please let us know anytime.
2018-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules