No "off line maps" option for iOS to download maps
6270 10 2018-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 633901 ft
Canada

I have not been able to find the menu item to download offline maps in the DJI go 4 app.  I'm using ios device 11.2.6, and have the latest version of Go 4 app 4.2.6.
I've watched a number of youtube vids we're the menu is clearly found but I think most of these were on Android.
Second question, if the "off line" option is not there, how do I download maps when i travel to location without internet connection?
2018-3-14
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Canada

No "download offline maps" menu

I have not been able to find the menu item to download offline maps in the DJI go 4 app.  I'm using ios device 11.2.6, and have the latest version of Go 4 app 4.2.6.
I've watched a number of youtube vids we're the menu is clearly found but I think most of these were on Android.
Second question, if the "off line" option is not there, how do I download maps when i travel to location without internet connection?

2018-3-14
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You need to have internet access. Just turn on the app go to the map and wait until it loads and you see the AC and then you can zoom out of the map to cover the area you want to fly and then you can turn your AIRPLANE mode ON and the map should stay put.

As long as you have cellular connection you can download the map from anywhere.
2018-3-14
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Canada

dronist Posted at 2018-3-14 18:22
You need to have internet access. Just turn on the app go to the map and wait until it loads and you see the AC and then you can zoom out of the map to cover the area you want to fly and then you can turn your AIRPLANE mode ON and the map should stay put.

Sorry but I'm a bit slow having never needed to do this in 3 years of flying so bear with me.  If I understand you correctly, while at home with internet access, I go into camera view on the app.  I turn on the map view and scroll around until I find the map where I want to fly and then zoom in and out around the area?  How do I know if the map is loading?  If tried this before without success but maybe I didn't wait long enough?  should I see a progress bar or something?
2018-3-14
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Canada

dronist Posted at 2018-3-14 18:22
You need to have internet access. Just turn on the app go to the map and wait until it loads and you see the AC and then you can zoom out of the map to cover the area you want to fly and then you can turn your AIRPLANE mode ON and the map should stay put.

Hi Dronist, I think you miss understand me.  If I'm traveling to an area with a device without cellular., I need to download the map before I leave home.  How do I do  that?
2018-3-14
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tomsbird Posted at 2018-3-14 18:30
Sorry but I'm a bit slow having never needed to do this in 3 years of flying so bear with me.  If I understand you correctly, while at home with internet access, I go into camera view on the app.  I turn on the map view and scroll around until I find the map where I want to fly and then zoom in and out around the area?  How do I know if the map is loading?  If tried this before without success but maybe I didn't wait long enough?  should I see a progress bar or something?

No problem!

Connect to the internet.

Open the app and click on enter device.

Once in the app click on the radar circle and the map will show up on the screen.

Using your fingers zoom out beyond your area/location, example to your state border.

Then turn off WIFI, turn on AIRPLANE MODE and then

turn on GO4 APP click on enter device, then click on the radar,you will see the map and now the trick

is to ZOOM OUT slowly until it load each square and then keep zooming out gradually.

Hope this help!

2018-3-14
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tomsbird Posted at 2018-3-14 18:38
Hi Dronist, I think you miss understand me.  If I'm traveling to an area with a device without cellular., I need to download the map before I leave home.  How do I do  that?

No I know what you meant.

You need to do that while you have internet connection like before you leave home..

I just did it and I can see the entire US with no WIFI and in Airplane mode.
2018-3-14
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Canada

dronist Posted at 2018-3-14 18:42
No problem!

Connect to the internet.

Thanks, that sounds like it might work.  I could have been doing this too fast in the past.  It's too bad that the iOS app doesn't support downloading of maps as with android devices.
2018-3-14
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tomsbird Posted at 2018-3-14 18:49
Thanks, that sounds like it might work.  I could have been doing this too fast in the past.  It's too bad that the iOS app doesn't support downloading of maps as with android devices.

Yup, I know what you mean. But I'll take the extra step to download the map over all the problems that Android devices have with the MP   

2018-3-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Tom, the offline map is a feature of Android devices. For IOS devices, you can dronist's suggestion and cache the map in advance. Alternatively, you can enable Cache Map in the Background, the maps that have been previewed will be cached as well.
2018-3-14
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-14 19:35
Hey Tom, the offline map is a feature of Android devices. For IOS devices, you can dronist's suggestion and cache the map in advance. Alternatively, you can enable Cache Map in the Background, the maps that have been previewed will be cached as well.

Thanks Susan
2018-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules