Position of Osmo Mobile 2 for phones with Wide Angle Camera
4874 13 2018-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SkyRecord
lvl.2
Flight distance : 164580 ft

South Africa

Hi All, I have a few questions if anyone is able to answer.

I am soon to take delivery of my Osmo mobile 2 and currently use a LG G6 with wide angle lens.

From what I have seen on the net is that the Roll motor arm is visible in the frame when using wide angle cameras, the way around this is to use it in flashlight mode(horizontally)

My question is- Will regular use of the osmo mobile in flashlight mode cause any EXTRA stress on the gimbal motors, or will it be okay to use it that way mpre often then vertical upright mode?

Are there any other people out there using phones with wide angle cameras that are able to share their opinions?

Thanks in advance
Dylan
2018-3-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

My iPhone has about 35mm I guess, so not too wide.
The LG about 28mm so that is a big difference.
So that might be an issue.
I think it is not in the supported phones list either.
Android Version v3.1.28.
Requires Android 4.4 or later.Compatible with Samsung Note 8, Samsung Note 5, Samsung Galaxy S8+, Samsung Galaxy S8, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, Samsung Galaxy S7, Samsung Galaxy S6, Huawei Mate 10, Huawei Mate 9, Huawei V10, Huawei P10 Plus, Huawei P10, Huawei P9, Huawei P9 Plus, Huawei NOVA 2, Huawei Honor 9, Mi 6, Mi Note 3, Oppo R9m, HTC U-3w, LG V20, Nexus 6 Plus, Google Pixel XL 2, Google Pixel XL, Nut Pro 2.

I have no reason to believe the flashlight mode will cause extra stress on the motors.
2018-3-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Now that does not always mean it won't work of course.
But it is not tested (yet) by DJI.
2018-3-15
Use props
SkyRecord
lvl.2

South Africa

Thanks for your reply. Im guessing not supported along with other phones with wide angle is exactly for that reason.
What iphone are you using? Thanks
2018-3-15
Use props
SkyRecord
lvl.2

South Africa

Lg V20 pretty much the same size and same camera and supported.pretty arb in my opinion.
2018-3-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi SkyRecord, since your mobile phone is not in our compatible list, I'm afraid there is no much support we can provide, I will confirm with our engineers to see if there is relative info, will come back to you soon.
2018-3-15
Use props
SkyRecord
lvl.2

South Africa

@DJI Mindy, thank you for your reply. Let me try make things more simple. Does the LG V20 (which is supported)get affected when using wide angle lens on camera????

Another question which does not really have anything to do with supported phones is the long term usage of Flashlight mode- will this cause any EXTRA strain on the gimbal motors using it that way if I prefer? Is it the same as using it underslung,portrait,vertical etc.

Thank you
2018-3-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

SkyRecord Posted at 2018-3-15 04:32
Thanks for your reply. Im guessing not supported along with other phones with wide angle is exactly for that reason.
What iphone are you using? Thanks

You're welcome.
I use the iPhone SE.
Great size, price and NO OIS (better for osmo mobile)
Works great with the Osmo Mobile.

I really think you just have to try how it works.
Just make sure you balance it right and don't try and put it out further to be able to use the wide lens without getting the arm in the frame.
That will ruin the engines for sure.
2018-3-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

SkyRecord Posted at 2018-3-15 08:25
@DJI Mindy, thank you for your reply. Let me try make things more simple. Does the LG V20 (which is supported)get affected when using wide angle lens on camera????

Another question which does not really have anything to do with supported phones is the long term usage of Flashlight mode- will this cause any EXTRA strain on the gimbal motors using it that way if I prefer? Is it the same as using it underslung,portrait,vertical etc.

I‘m confirming with our engineers about if the wide angle lens will affect the shooting, but Flashlight mode is one of the operation modes, it will not affect the gimbal, no worries.
2018-3-15
Use props
SkyRecord
lvl.2

South Africa

@DJI Mindy, any further feedback please???? Been a while
2018-3-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

SkyRecord Posted at 2018-3-23 01:06
@DJI Mindy, any further feedback please???? Been a while

Sorry that I still haven't got the response from our engineers, I will come back to you soon once I get any update, thanks for your patience.
2018-3-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Thanks for your patience, I have verified with our engineers, because of the hardware limitation, it may happen to some mobile phones, please move the mobile phone a little bit until there is no Roll axis in the frame, the gimbal may be a little bit slant, but it will be fine after you switch on.
2018-4-2
Use props
SasaB
New
Serbia

Yes, i have same issue with Xiaomi phone. I have Mi 8 SE and when i push the phone all the way down to tilt motor i can see the roll motor in my field of view. When i push it out not to see the roll motor, than the phone is not horizontal even if i try to balance it.

Will that affect the motors in terms of durability?

Is there other solution to this problem?

Also how to solve the horizontal axis? It seems that phone position on the phone holder is too heavy and it is tilting it a bit down...
Thank you!
2018-12-22
Use props
darkfull1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13114 ft
Switzerland

As long s you balance the phone right the flashlight mode should  not be an issue.
2018-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules