Airmap seems to get surface E4 wrong...
1046 12 2018-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_6Q57jczySsAE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 623366 ft
United States

After exchanging e-mail with four FAA staffers, and talking on the phone to two of them, I was still left scratching my head concerning authorization requirements for part 107 flights over my house. My house sits in class E surface airspace that is an extension of the local (BMG) airport's D space. I've twiced received airspace authorization for the class D space, despite my request specifing the need for authorization in class E. In the last case, they actualy changed my request from E to D.

Finally, last night, google found the needle I was looking for: https://jrupprechtlaw.com/section-107-41-operation-in-certain-airspace

Short version, as of Jan 10, 2018, the FAA says (at least that's how I read it) sUAS part 107 operations in class E(4) airspace (i.e., class E that extends a class D airport) don't require authorization. Just fly safe.

Airmap doesn't seem to reflect this rule. I love airmap, I hope someone from airmap sees this.

I have started filing UAS flight plans via www.1800wxbrief.com. I assume the local airport tower sees these at NOTAMs, so at least they know to give a heads up to other traffic if there's a concern.

steve
2018-3-15
Use props
wataero
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1719619 ft
United States

Steve - I saw the same memo and have email inquiries to both local FAA safety folks and airmap but no response as of yet.  What does DJI GEOfence database say?  Does it allow you to take off?
2018-3-15
Use props
djiuser_6Q57jczySsAE
lvl.4
United States

wataero Posted at 2018-3-15 13:33
Steve - I saw the same memo and have email inquiries to both local FAA safety folks and airmap but no response as of yet.  What does DJI GEOfence database say?  Does it allow you to take off?

The DJI go app prompts a warning, and asks me to assert that I'm responsible (or something to that effect), then the drone is flyable.

It's my understanding that Airmap is working with the FAA to better understand E4 rules, and ensure their app is consistent with the FAA's guidance.
2018-3-16
Use props
djiuser_6Q57jczySsAE
lvl.4
United States

wataero Posted at 2018-3-15 13:33

The DJI go app prompts a warning, and asks me to assert that I'm responsible (or something to that effect), then the drone is flyable.

It's my understanding that Airmap is working with the FAA to better understand E4 rules, and ensure their app is consistent with the FAA's guidance.
2018-3-16
Use props
Archangel3356
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4655896 ft
United States

Steve, a most excellent find and read. Very good. I’m curious about your call to the briefer, are you calling in just like your getting a standard briefing and give them your registration number instead of N number. Never considered this but I do like this idea as an extra precaution. Are they accepting it as a standard VFR flight plan ? Thanks
2018-3-16
Use props
djiuser_6Q57jczySsAE
lvl.4
United States

Archangel3356 Posted at 2018-3-16 07:13
Steve, a most excellent find and read. Very good. I’m curious about your call to the briefer, are you calling in just like your getting a standard briefing and give them your registration number instead of N number. Never considered this but I do like this idea as an extra precaution. Are they accepting it as a standard VFR flight plan ? Thanks

I probably confused a couple of items. My conversations and e-mails with FAA staff were initiated by my request for additional information concerning the Class E issue.

The mention of 1800wxbrief.com was only in the context of using their on-line system, and only the "UAS" tab. I didn't interact as you would normally for a briefing. The UAS tools allow a part 107 operator to describe future flights (where, how high, etc.), and see operations others have submitted. I believe these also find their way into NOTAMs, although that's a bit unclear to me at this point.
2018-3-16
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

djiuser_6Q57jczySsAE Posted at 2018-3-16 07:25
I probably confused a couple of items. My conversations and e-mails with FAA staff were initiated by my request for additional information concerning the Class E issue.

The mention of 1800wxbrief.com was only in the context of using their on-line system, and only the "UAS" tab. I didn't interact as you would normally for a briefing. The UAS tools allow a part 107 operator to describe future flights (where, how high, etc.), and see operations others have submitted. I believe these also find their way into NOTAMs, although that's a bit unclear to me at this point.

I believe that a NOTAM is only generated when you are declaring a UOA (USAS Operations Area) and have requested and received an approved COA.  There is a check box to create the NOTAM and a text box to enter the COA number.  If this is not the case then the UOA is designated for the times you have entered and are used for situational awareness for other pilots.  
2018-3-16
Use props
IamWedge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 321398 ft
United States

There is a lot of info that AirMap needs to update. The United States alone has a little over 15,000 airports. Im sure most of the info is taken right off sectional charts.
2018-3-16
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4

United States

djiuser_6Q57jczySsAE Posted at 2018-3-16 07:25

The mention of 1800wxbrief.com was only in the context of using their on-line system, and only the "UAS" tab. I didn't interact as you would normally for a briefing. The UAS tools allow a part 107 operator to describe future flights (where, how high, etc.), and see operations others have submitted. I believe these also find their way into NOTAMs, although that's a bit unclear to me at this point.

Also, you mentioned filing a UAS flight plan.  Did you mean a UAS Operating Area or actual flight plan?  I was not aware the UAS operators filed flight plans.
2018-3-16
Use props
djiuser_6Q57jczySsAE
lvl.4
United States

Anokadrone Posted at 2018-3-16 09:57
Also, you mentioned filing a UAS flight plan.  Did you mean a UAS Operating Area or actual flight plan?  I was not aware the UAS operators filed flight plans.

Sorry, yes I meant UAS Operating Area. Under the UAS tap it's under "planning", but it's not a plan.
2018-3-16
Use props
Archangel3356
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4655896 ft
United States

Very good. That clears up a few questions. Thanks for reply
2018-3-16
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4

United States

djiuser_6Q57jczySsAE Posted at 2018-3-16 10:05
Sorry, yes I meant UAS Operating Area. Under the UAS tap it's under "planning", but it's not a plan.

No prob....just wanted to clear that up.  The FAA is in the process of integrating the LAANC with Airmap (and a few others) that will enable the granting of ATC authorizations much more quickly than the existing system.  I have not had to ask for ATC authorization but it will be nice when that gets rolled out completely.  
2018-3-16
Use props
WInged Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077618 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you Steve, some really useful information.
2018-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules