7273 9 2018-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
maclover009
lvl.2
Flight distance : 328386 ft
United States

Hi all,

New to the Mavic Air but not to DJI products / software by any means. On the Mavic Pro, there's a "Stop Motor Method" setting within Settings-->Main Controller-->Advanced Settings that lets you choose your CSC method. Method 1: emergencies only, and Method 2: CSC. In all my experience with Phantom 3 Pro and Mavic Pro, the 2-3 times I've crashed was from 5 feet or lower and the unit flipped, causing minimal damage. The bulk of the damage came from the unit flapping around on the ground and shaking while I tried to yank the battery.

I'm not finding that setting anywhere on the Mavic Air and usually prefer method 2 / CSC due to the ability to immediately stop all motors in the event of a crash. Would someone be so kind to point me to the proper setting or explain how emergency stop works on the Mavic Air? This is basically to prepare myself in the event that the unit does suffer a minor crash and I want to stop everything as quickly as possible to avoid additional prop into ground / motor burnout damage.

Thanks in advance!
2018-3-15
Use props
maclover009
lvl.2
United States

I should also mention I did reach out to DJI support via phone, but they recommended holding the left stick down for 3 seconds (normal landing, not really helpful here) and calibrating the aircraft even when I explained I'm not having issues and was looking into a hypothetical / what if.
2018-3-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

maclover009 Posted at 2018-3-15 08:49
I should also mention I did reach out to DJI support via phone, but they recommended holding the left stick down for 3 seconds (normal landing, not really helpful here) and calibrating the aircraft even when I explained I'm not having issues and was looking into a hypothetical / what if.

One thing you don’t have to worry about with MavAir once it turns more than 90 degrees motors will automatically shut down.
Yes methods for shutting down are still available in your app.

2018-3-15
Use props
maclover009
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-15 09:07
One thing you don’t have to worry about with MavAir once it turns more than 90 degrees motors will automatically shut down.
[view_image]

Thank you. I didn't realize they added the 90 degree failsafe. For the section for stopping motors mid-flight: Do you know if "the same CSC" entails left stick down and then CSC or just CSC only? Does that have to be held for 3 seconds? Just trying to make sure I fully understand this and don't kill the motors accidentally as well. Thanks again.
"Stopping motors mid-fight will cause the aircraft to crash. The motors should only be stopped mid-fight in an emergency situation such as if a collision has occurred or if the aircraft is out of control and is ascending/descending very quickly, rolling in the air, or if a motor has stalled. To stop the motors mid-fight use the same CSC that was used to start the motors."
2018-3-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

maclover009 Posted at 2018-3-15 09:12
Thank you. I didn't realize they added the 90 degree failsafe. For the section for stopping motors mid-flight: Do you know if "the same CSC" entails left stick down and then CSC or just CSC only? Does that have to be held for 3 seconds? Just trying to make sure I fully understand this and don't kill the motors accidentally as well. Thanks again.
"Stopping motors mid-fight will cause the aircraft to crash. The motors should only be stopped mid-fight in an emergency situation such as if a collision has occurred or if the aircraft is out of control and is ascending/descending very quickly, rolling in the air, or if a motor has stalled. To stop the motors mid-fight use the same CSC that was used to start the motors."

No just sticks to the corner as it says it shouldn’t be used only when collision occurs, the 90 degrees should suffice for almost every situation and having set a CSC to Cut motors you always run the risk of accidentally cutting motors.
2018-3-15
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

maclover009 Posted at 2018-3-15 09:12
Thank you. I didn't realize they added the 90 degree failsafe. For the section for stopping motors mid-flight: Do you know if "the same CSC" entails left stick down and then CSC or just CSC only? Does that have to be held for 3 seconds? Just trying to make sure I fully understand this and don't kill the motors accidentally as well. Thanks again.
"Stopping motors mid-fight will cause the aircraft to crash. The motors should only be stopped mid-fight in an emergency situation such as if a collision has occurred or if the aircraft is out of control and is ascending/descending very quickly, rolling in the air, or if a motor has stalled. To stop the motors mid-fight use the same CSC that was used to start the motors."

CSC only is sufficient and yes, 3 seconds. But I would strongly recommend to make yourself familiar with the user manual ;-). There even has been an updated one on 5 March:  https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#downloads
2018-3-15
Use props
maclover009
lvl.2
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-15 09:18
CSC only is sufficient and yes, 3 seconds. But I would strongly recommend to make yourself familiar with the user manual ;-). There even has been an updated one on 5 March:  https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#downloads

Was reading it cover to cover as I waited for these responses. I appreciate the help gentleman.
2018-3-15
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

maclover009 Posted at 2018-3-15 09:20
Was reading it cover to cover as I waited for these responses. I appreciate the help gentleman.

Great, and you are welcome :-)
2018-3-15
Use props
djiuser_XtniFxUfleBt
New

Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-15 09:07
One thing you don’t have to worry about with MavAir once it turns more than 90 degrees motors will automatically shut down.
[view_image]

My drone has flipped twice and in both cases the motors took more than 30 seconds to stop causing more damage, So from my own experience you are wrong the motors don’t automatically turn off if it flips more than 90 degrees.
2020-1-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_XtniFxUfleBt Posted at 1-12 23:14
My drone has flipped twice and in both cases the motors took more than 30 seconds to stop causing more damage, So from my own experience you are wrong the motors don’t automatically turn off if it flips more than 90 degrees.

They do and your the first case I’ve heard of this, perhaps stick up a video .
2020-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules