Is your P4P gimbal wonky too?
2072 16 2018-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bartiflier
lvl.2

United Kingdom

New Obsidian, out of the box it's got what looks like a problem. The gimbal moves more to one side than the other.

Not worried about it being crooked at startup, it hasn't even been calibrated, but when yawing in flight the range will be less on one side, as is shown when I wave it about in simulated POI mode when it bounces off the end stops.

Anyone else got this problem? Why would you do this, DJI, why?

2018-3-15
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

It happened to me when I upgraded to 01.05.0600. The Gimbal would drift to the left after boot up. When I pressed the silver Image Capture button on the Remote, It would snap to the left. On occasion it would end up about 10 degrees left after boot up and would require a restart. I rolled the firmware back to 01.05.0300. (P4P+ Obsidian here)

Jeff
2018-3-15
Use props
Mr. Information
lvl.3

Philippines

Calibrate your gimbal and try to check if it resolves the issue. Try it 2-4 times go to camera settings gimbal calibration via dji go
2018-3-15
Use props
Bartiflier
lvl.2

United Kingdom

II'm guessing you didn't watch the video, because it's not drifting. It literally cannot move as far to one side as the other.
2018-3-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Bartiflier, may I know what's the current firmware of the aircraft? Please try to calibrate the gimbal camera and adjust the Gimbal Pitch to see whether it works.
2018-3-15
Use props
Bartiflier
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-15 19:48
Hey Bartiflier, may I know what's the current firmware of the aircraft? Please try to calibrate the gimbal camera and adjust the Gimbal Pitch to see whether it works.

Firmware is not the problem. The gimbal is physically incapable of turning as far to one side as the other.

Look at the video: it's not even turned on. I'm moving it to the end stops with my hand.

It obviously can't turn as far to one side, so in quick turns in flight, it hits the physical end stop.
2018-3-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Bartiflier Posted at 2018-3-16 05:44
Firmware is not the problem. The gimbal is physically incapable of turning as far to one side as the other.

Look at the video: it's not even turned on. I'm moving it to the end stops with my hand.

I understand your point, but that's why I insisting on gimbal calibration. If the issue remains after troubleshooting, you can start a case and send it in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support
2018-3-17
Use props
Bartiflier
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-17 02:09
I understand your point, but that's why I insisting on gimbal calibration. If the issue remains after troubleshooting, you can start a case and send it in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support

I don't think you do understand the point. Of course the restricted range remains after gimbal calibration, as that doesn't move the physical end stops, it just waves the camera about a bit.

So, my question is: Why is the range restricted on ONE side only and is this a fault or a strange design choice?
2018-3-17
Use props
Bartiflier
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hello? DJI Susan? Should the range be physically restricted on one side or not?
2018-3-19
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Bartiflier Posted at 2018-3-17 03:03
I don't think you do understand the point. Of course the restricted range remains after gimbal calibration, as that doesn't move the physical end stops, it just waves the camera about a bit.

So, my question is: Why is the range restricted on ONE side only and is this a fault or a strange design choice?

Sometimes the gimbal can get out of alignment in transit or receiving a hard knock. One thing you can try is reseating it. Do that by turning it's left-right axis carefully by hand all the way to the "short" side a few times, then do a gimbal calibration while the craft is sitting back on its hind prop arms i.e. with the camera pointing up ~45 degrees.
There's a number of old threads here on that subject (with this possible solution).
2018-3-19
Use props
djiuser_iGJqCoTNTQSa
lvl.4
United States

Return it, it's brand new. You shouldn't have to screw around with ghetto maneuvers like reseating it.
2018-3-19
Use props
Bartiflier
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-3-19 14:19
Sometimes the gimbal can get out of alignment in transit or receiving a hard knock. One thing you can try is reseating it. Do that by turning it's left-right axis carefully by hand all the way to the "short" side a few times, then do a gimbal calibration while the craft is sitting back on its hind prop arms i.e. with the camera pointing up ~45 degrees.
There's a number of old threads here on that subject (with this possible solution).

Yeah.... no that's impossible. I could drop it off a cliff, then kick it the length of a football field with the travelling gimbal clamp and foam support it's got in the case, and it wouldn't budge a millimeter.

Don't know what DJI numpty first suggested people try and rip their gimbals off, but he must have been having a 'let's troll the users' day when he/she suggested that nonsense.

It's either been mounted crookedly, or it's a really dumb design decision. I just want someone to confirm which it is.

If you've got one, does yours move equally to either side when you move it with your hands while powered off or not?
2018-3-19
Use props
Bartiflier
lvl.2

United Kingdom

djiuser_iGJqCoTNTQSa Posted at 2018-3-19 14:42
Return it, it's brand new. You shouldn't have to screw around with ghetto maneuvers like reseating it.

No fear of that. If I was to do anything, I'd take it apart and reseat it properly, but...do I even have to?

Are all gimbals like this and are DJI geniuses for making it with less movement on one side, or not?

What's yours like? BTW, is your 1080p video also fubar'd? See my thread on the sharpness question here:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... d=139532&page=1
2018-3-19
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Bartiflier Posted at 2018-3-19 15:39
... If you've got one, does yours move equally to either side when you move it with your hands while powered off or not?

I have a P4P (amongst others) and the movement on mine is fine. The gimbal sits where is should and moves fine across the X axis. But I have heard of issues with it losing alignment (I recall discussion of a rubber grommet slipping), and recalled the fix I proposed above.
I hope you get your's sorted.
2018-3-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Bartiflier Posted at 2018-3-17 03:03

So, my question is: Why is the range restricted on ONE side only and is this a fault or a strange design choice?

We are trying to help you. If you believe that there is any physical issue, welcome to send the unit in for inspection. The local team will do damage assessment and offer you a proper solution.
2018-3-20
Use props
Bartiflier
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-20 04:26
We are trying to help you. If you believe that there is any physical issue, welcome to send the unit in for inspection. The local team will do damage assessment and offer you a proper solution.

OK, I'll try again.

Watch the video. Do you see that the gimbal yaw angle on one side is less than the other?

Do you see it is not turned on and I'm moving it as far as I can with my hand and it's hitting the end stop on one side before it does on the other side? It arrived like that when it was new. There is no damage, just how it was built and supplied.

It is not a "belief" about the physical issue, it is a verifiable fact on a video.

So, the question again is....is this Normal?

The answer really is not "send it in for inspection".  

It is either:
a) Yes, it is normal and DJI engineers are strange and make unusual gimbals, or
b) No, it is not normal and it needs to be repaired.

So, which is it?  

2018-3-20
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Bartiflier Posted at 2018-3-20 14:53
OK, I'll try again. Sloooooowly.

Watch the video. Do you see that the gimbal yaw angle on one side is less than the other?

Sometimes I'll get irritated by moderators response as well, but I'm always trying to control my sarcastic comments to acceptable level of good manners. Let me rephrase my thinking, very slooooowly: technical expertise is not included in DJI Forum moderators job description. They may try to help (and most of the time they do), but they don't have to ... Consider that while venting here ...
2018-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules