Goggles have no menus
8013 29 2018-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PaddyHaig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

This is the second set of DJI goggles I have had in as many days. Gonna be sending these back to the retailer next week if the is no DJI fix.
Here's what I do? I attach the DJI RE goggles to my PC with a USB cable. Start up DJI Assistant 2, Go through the goggles registration process.
Check to see if the are any updates to the software. Update to the latest software. Then I put the goggles on and am presented with menus.
I turn the Mavic Pro and controller on. I set the Mavic to connect mode. The goggles make a connection. All is good. I get a video connection and menus.
Then I turn off the googles. Plug them into the supplied USB charger and charge them up. Ready for the next days flying.
This is when I have problems. The next day, I start the Mavic Pro and the controller. Start the goggles, I can see the video, however all the menu options have disapeared!!!
Doesnt seem to matter what I touch or press on the goggles. The menu's wont come up. They are gone! So I cannot do anything with the goggles.
Everything is using the latest Firmware. Mavic, handset controller, and goggles. Yet they no longer have any menus.

Ideas???
2018-3-15
Use props
PaddyHaig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Goggles without menus?

Where have the menus gone from my goggles? I turned on my Mavic Pro and the handset, they linked okay. Turned on the RE goggles and although the video from the Mavic camera was displayed. The were no menu's, regardless of whatever buttons or touchpad options were tried. The goggles had been working just fine the day before. The only thing I had done, is turn them off and charge them up with the provided USB charger.
2018-3-15
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You have paired the Goggles to the Mavic Pro via Goggles menu ?
2018-3-15
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, please try to restart the Goggles, or refresh the latest firmware via the DJI Assistant 2, if it doesn't help, please provide me with the screenshots of the Googles version and drone's firmware version (General Settings--About) for a further check.
2018-3-15
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Could you have put it in full screen?
2018-3-15
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Agree with DennisMurry08, you can press the Return button on the Goggles to quit the full-screen mode.
2018-3-15
Use props
PaddyHaig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-3-15 17:48

Yes, I did initially. Then shut them down and charged them up, and turned them on the following day and the were no menus.
2018-3-16
Use props
PaddyHaig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2018-3-15 19:07

I thought that at first. However I have tried all button combinations including the back button and still no menus.
2018-3-16
Use props
PaddyHaig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2018-3-15 19:07

I thought that at first. However I have tried all button combinations including the back button and still no menus.
2018-3-16
Use props
PaddyHaig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-3-15 19:40
Agree with DennisMurry08, you can press the Return button on the Goggles to quit the full-screen mode.

I tried this first believing as others have here that they may of accidentally gotten into full screen mode. Unfortunately that does not seem to be the case.
2018-3-16
Use props
PaddyHaig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Agree with DennisMurry08, you can press the Return button on the Goggles to quit the full-screen mode.

I tried this first believing as others have here that they may of accidentally gotten into full screen mode. Unfortunately that does not seem to be the case.
2018-3-16
Use props
PaddyHaig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-3-15 17:48

Yes they were paired and working just the night before. When I charged them up and restarted them the following day. No menus. Only a video feed.
2018-3-16
Use props
PaddyHaig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

2018-3-16
Use props
PaddyHaig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

2018-3-16
Use props
PaddyHaig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

2018-3-16
Use props
PaddyHaig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-3-15 18:21
Hi there, please try to restart the Goggles, or refresh the latest firmware via the DJI Assistant 2, if it doesn't help, please provide me with the screenshots of the Googles version and drone's firmware version (General Settings--About) for a further check.

These are screen shots of me 'Refreshing' the firmware. 'Downgrading' the firmware and again 'Updating' the firmware. I have tried every button combination, including pressing the 'Back button' to unlock the fullscreen mode. If I swipe, I can hear the sound, however I see no menu's or text, only the video feed from the DJI Mavic Pro drone.

2018-3-16
Use props
PaddyHaig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Here is a photo of my present DJI Mavic Pro firmware. The goggles yesterday were working just fine with this firmware.

2018-3-16
Use props
PaddyHaig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I should also add. That I have pushed the Mavic Pro connection button with a pin like device to reset the link, which reset without a problem. However the menu's still have not come up. I have also tried the same on the Goggles and again, the video comes up, however again no menu interface.
I do agree that it looks like it's in full screen mode.  However the back key does not bring the menu interface up.
This is the same problem I had with the DJI RE Goggles I just sent back to the retailer. These will be going back to the retailer on Tuesday if I cant fix this issue.
The was a group of ten of us going to buy these goggles, however everyone is now looking for alternative goggles.
Poor show DJI.
2018-3-16
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

When you are wearing the goggles, do you see a lock at the top right or when you try to swipe do you see towards the top right something that says screen is locked?
2018-3-16
Use props
PaddyHaig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2018-3-16 06:06
When you are wearing the goggles, do you see a lock at the top right or when you try to swipe do you see towards the top right something that says screen is locked?

No, I see absolutely no text at all. When I boot up the goggles. I see the DJI logo in the centre of the screen, the flying cubes for a few seconds, then I get my video feed in from the DJI Mavic Pro. However Absolutely no text on the screen. NOTHING. I have swiped, pushed the back button, yet NOTHING But the video feed. NO OSD. :-(
2018-3-16
Use props
PaddyHaig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Have I pointed out, that this is the second time this identical problem has happened. With two brand new straight out the box DJI RE goggles? This is the second set I have had with this same issue in the last five days. Maybe a bad batch???
2018-3-16
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ok...I have only one more suggestion...turn it on and unplug it from the headband...that should turn it off...I had a bad headband on one of mine and I played around with everything until I tried that...it would work, then not but I was able to isolate where the problem was...anyway, take the headband and make sure the connections are clean and wipe them to be sure..inspect the inside connection on the goggles where the headband plugs into....if that doesn5 work I’m totally out of ideas and need to let DJI Thor take it from here..Thor’s good but on a way different time zone...I would suspect that if this or anything he suggests doesn’t work then it’s a repair...but if you get Thor to help he can help expedite.....lastly, do you know anyone else that has a Mavic you might be able to test on?
2018-3-16
Use props
PaddyHaig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2018-3-16 07:01
Ok...I have only one more suggestion...turn it on and unplug it from the headband...that should turn it off...I had a bad headband on one of mine and I played around with everything until I tried that...it would work, then not but I was able to isolate where the problem was...anyway, take the headband and make sure the connections are clean and wipe them to be sure..inspect the inside connection on the goggles where the headband plugs into....if that doesn5 work I’m totally out of ideas and need to let DJI Thor take it from here..Thor’s good but on a way different time zone...I would suspect that if this or anything he suggests doesn’t work then it’s a repair...but if you get Thor to help he can help expedite.....lastly, do you know anyone else that has a Mavic you might be able to test on?

Thank you for the suggestion DennisMurry08, however I have tried what you have suggested on both goggles after they gave me trouble. I removed the headband battery pack from the front unit and blew a little air into the connections that looked fine to me. I tried it twice again, after your suggestion, getting an affirmative click when connecting the parts. However my situation is still the same. I believe the issue is obviously not the Occusync aspect as it's performing seemingly okay. But whatever other microcircuit that controls the  OSD that's at fault.
I have tried rolling the firmware back on both the headset and the DJI Mavic Pro. Tried all different combinations on both the Mavic and headset. Same results. No OSD.
How could this happen on two sets of goggles???
2018-3-16
Use props
PaddyHaig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

So I found the problem! Happy days!!! The issue was related to my microSD card that I'd popped into the goggles. Seemingly the wrong format. It was 'Sandisk Ultra U1 32G' formatted to FAT32 16 kilobytes. I'm now reformatting it to FAT32 32 kilobytes. I tries exFAT32 with 32 kilobytes formatting and that didn't work. Crashed the goggles OCD soon as I popped it in. That's why I can't use the goggles own formatting procedure. As soon as the SD card goes in. Gone is the OSD. Gonna have to do some more research on this. Any reasonable and sensible input, much appreciated. Now looking at getting high
2018-3-16
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

PaddyHaig Posted at 2018-3-16 17:09
So I found the problem!  Happy days!!! The issue was related to my microSD card that I'd popped into the goggles. Seemingly the wrong format. It was 'Sandisk Ultra U1 32G' formatted to FAT32 16 kilobytes. I'm now reformatting it to FAT32 32 kilobytes. I tries exFAT32 with 32 kilobytes formatting and that didn't work. Crashed the goggles OCD soon as I popped it in. That's why I can't use the goggles own formatting procedure. As soon as the SD card goes in. Gone is the OSD. Gonna have to do some more research on this. Any reasonable and sensible input, much appreciated.  Now looking at getting high

Well....that’s a new one and good to remember ...glad you got it worked out..didn’t think of asking about the sd card...we all learned something...have fun flying
2018-3-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

PaddyHaig Posted at 2018-3-16 17:09
So I found the problem!  Happy days!!! The issue was related to my microSD card that I'd popped into the goggles. Seemingly the wrong format. It was 'Sandisk Ultra U1 32G' formatted to FAT32 16 kilobytes. I'm now reformatting it to FAT32 32 kilobytes. I tries exFAT32 with 32 kilobytes formatting and that didn't work. Crashed the goggles OCD soon as I popped it in. That's why I can't use the goggles own formatting procedure. As soon as the SD card goes in. Gone is the OSD. Gonna have to do some more research on this. Any reasonable and sensible input, much appreciated.  Now looking at getting high

That's great. So now you can have the OSD back when removing the SD card from the Goggles, right? If you have another SD card, you can try to change an SD card, or try to test the card on the drone.
For the SD card formatting, if the SD card is less than or equal to 32GB should only be formatted into the FAT32 file system, the recommended cluster size is 32KB.
And I will also forward this case to our engineers to confirm. Thank you for your update.
2018-3-17
Use props
neonadler
lvl.1

Hong Kong

So far as i know, OSD is supposed not related to SD card. What kind of your FC? multiwii or mavlink? Can you just try to make sure that the FC is powered on before Ocusync air unit is powered on?
2018-3-20
Use props
williwaw
lvl.1
Flight distance : 178855 ft
United States

PaddyHaig Posted at 3-16 17:09

That's some fine sleuthing Paddy. I was unable to update the firmware after multiple failed attempts... had previously boxed the new RE goggles back up and was writing the vendor an RMA note when I took one last look around and found your post. I remembered I had, in fact, installed an SD card and needed to remove it before returning the goggles. Short story - I removed the card and tried one last time to boot them up. And now they're operating again with the Mavic Pro.

DJI owes you for this. They almost lost another sale over the issue.
2018-12-2
Use props
kowal63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 579843 ft
  • >>>
United States

no one should have to deal with these headaches after such a purpose.....if they spent more time programming and less in sales maybe people would not behaving these problems
2019-3-31
Use props
Kewalaman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136112 ft
United States

Agree with DennisMurry08, you can press the Return button on the Goggles to quit the full-screen mode.

i bought mine 5 days ago. today i finally got the upgrade to run,in assistant2. i had to do it twice because by time i finished 1.1.0606, 1v1.2 came into screen.
now,my problem is i dont get the normal screen menu to finish the setup. ALL the videos on youtube show the menu similar to the manual.
How do i get the correct menu?
I have tried every combo of buttons and nothing allows me to get into player mode.
2021-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules