Simulator bug?
835 18 2018-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfa2b0a99
New

United States

Hello to all! Today it was raining so I got the spark out, set it on the couch arm and decided to try the simulator. I was a little sceptic so I went ahead and removed the props. I started up the simulator, took off and the drone was quiet. All lights work as if it were in the air. I flew for about 5 minutes, then the battery died enough to automatically return to home. Once it landed I turned it off and swapped out the battery. I then went back to the RC and swiped for take off.

ALL MOTORS SPUN UP!!!! I even gave it throttle to see if it was just my imagination but it wasn't. If I hadn't have taken the props off, it would have taken off in my tiny living room!! I "landed" it and shut it off. Then I went back to the home screen on the dji4 app and back to simulator. I did another takeoff and it was back to simulation mode, all quiet.

I just wanted to make you all aware of this for yours and your friend/families safety. I would (and will always) remove the props if I go back into simulator mode.

Have fun!!!
2018-3-15
Use props
dji TO88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Canada

That's correct the spark will take off your suppose to remove the blades when using the simulator.
2018-3-15
Use props
fansfa2b0a99
New

United States

dji TO88 Posted at 2018-3-15 18:44
That's correct the spark will take off your suppose to remove the blades when using the simulator.

Haha! I guess I should read the manual. Just need to find that magnifying glass....

Thanks!
2018-3-15
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

No, you don't need to take the props off...the motors don't start in simulator mode.
2018-3-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, please ensure that your drone enter the simulator mode successfully and have the image in your screen. If the drone does not enter the mode, the motor will rotate. We would recommend users do not mount the props for its safety.  Thanks for your support.  
2018-3-15
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 365299 ft
Switzerland

I've tried to run the simulator once (on my Macbook), nothing happened. Has anybody had any success (on a Mac)?
2018-3-15
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

Are you sure when the battery was changed you didn't forget to go back to simulator mode???
2018-3-15
Use props
dji TO88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Canada

fansfa2b0a99 Posted at 2018-3-15 18:47
Haha! I guess I should read the manual. Just need to find that magnifying glass....

Thanks!

Sorry my mistake I remember reading on the forum the props should be removed for safety.
2018-3-15
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

I think the safety issue is if the operator screws up and forgets to go to simulator mode.
2018-3-15
Use props
fansfa2b0a99
New

United States

Rustic17 Posted at 2018-3-15 19:09
Are you sure when the battery was changed you didn't forget to go back to simulator mode???

I didn't touch the remote or the phone at all. I just reached over and swapped batteries, then went back to my remote and hit "Takeoff" and they spun up.
2018-3-15
Use props
fansfa2b0a99
New

United States

Rustic17 Posted at 2018-3-15 19:16
I think the safety issue is if the operator screws up and forgets to go to simulator mode.

I was already in simulator mode. after the battery died (from the first sim flight) I swapped them and hit "Takeoff" and they spun up.
2018-3-15
Use props
fansfa2b0a99
New

United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-15 19:05
Hi, please ensure that your drone enter the simulator mode successfully and have the image in your screen. If the drone does not enter the mode, the motor will rotate. We would recommend users do not mount the props for its safety.  Thanks for your support.

It was still in simulator mode from my first flight. After the battery died and it returned home and landed, I set the RC down, swapped out the battery and hit "Takeoff" from the same screen as before and all the motors spun up.
2018-3-15
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

I think you have to reselect simulator mode again...the app is in simulator but the Spark being powered up thinks its going to fly.
2018-3-15
Use props
fansfa2b0a99
New

United States

Rustic17 Posted at 2018-3-15 19:26
I think you have to reselect simulator mode again...the app is in simulator but the Spark being powered up thinks its going to fly.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking!
2018-3-15
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

Spark needs a signal from the app that simulator mode had been selected...that way the motors don't start.
2018-3-15
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansfa2b0a99 Posted at 2018-3-15 18:47

Thanks!

I would suggest you always refer to the latest version of the manual instead of the printed ones that came in the box.  You can download it from the following site and be able to zoom in on it so you can actually read it.  The ones that came with the Spark are good fire starter material.
https://www.dji.com/spark/info#downloads
2018-3-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fansfa2b0a99 Posted at 2018-3-15 19:25
It was still in simulator mode from my first flight. After the battery died and it returned home and landed, I set the RC down, swapped out the battery and hit "Takeoff" from the same screen as before and all the motors spun up.

I think Rustic is right about that. Please tell us if you have other problem. Thanks for your support.
2018-3-15
Use props
EMTDad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 247933 ft
United States

So, I am new to the DJI family and I always have questions.  The simulator is one that I meant to ask about, but forgot all about it until seeing this post.  In my DJI app on my phone, I am able to enter the slight simulator and virtually "Fly" my spark without a problem...  Now when I connect to the DJI assistant, that's a whole different story.  I can enter the simulator, but nothing happens.  I assume that it is supposed to function like the DJI app simulator does, correct?  (with the RC and such).  Or, is it supposed to work with the computer keys?  
2018-3-15
Use props
Zbig
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7349 ft
Poland

Also, using the simulator mode will mess up your flight statistics like "Maximum Takeoff Altitude", will add some actual place somewhere in China to your "Countries Visited", etc., with no way to delete that (if someone knows how to pull that off, I'll be happy to learn). No good for my OCD ;) It's really weird, bordering on the creepy side, how deep the simulation goes. Both the Spark's on-board and the DJI's server-side systems seem to genuinly believe you're flying in China, minus the actual flying part. Speak about the Matrix/San Junipero/OASIS for drones ;) I only hope they won't force me to use one of my DJI Care "lives" if I crash within the simulation ;) DJI should consider selling guided trips tickets to that mythical place as a side business ;)
2018-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules