Lost control and crashed into the building
837048 837048 2018-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lazr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2923 ft
Ukraine

Today during the flight, right after pushing video record button on the controller during hovering, drone totally lost control, spontaneously turned, accelerated and at full speed crashed into the building at approximately 20-30m altitude. Drone didn’t react to controller at all, moved at his own direction in a straight line at high speed and did not react to commands. Here is the video -
Now all arms are broken, crack on the body but it looks like electronics is in working conditions, drone can connect with controller, gimbal works, but camera can't focus.
So how come that drone can totally ignore controller and move at full speed somewhere by itself? Is it warranty case?
Thank you!

2018-3-16
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Well, that sucks. Did you take off from a balcony? Lucky that guy on the ground didn't get creamed!
2018-3-16
Use props
lazr
lvl.1
Ukraine

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-3-16 11:25
Well, that sucks. Did you take off from a balcony? Lucky that guy on the ground didn't get creamed!

Of course not, in the beginning of the video you can see me with friend on the ground.
2018-3-16
Use props
Arcobaleno Reborn
lvl.3

Philippines

I am sorry to hear about your crash. You may need to send your drone in for damage analysis to determine if it is a product issue or pilot error. Once it is a product issue and you are still under warranty DJI will handle your repair/replacement
2018-3-16
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
United States

Oh yeah, didn't see that. Extract the flight records from your phone and post. Someone will analyze and offer suggestions.
http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
2018-3-16
Use props
lazr
lvl.1
Ukraine

Arcobaleno Reborn Posted at 2018-3-16 11:30
I am sorry to hear about your crash. You may need to send your drone in for damage analysis to determine if it is a product issue or pilot error. Once it is a product issue and you are still under warranty DJI will handle your repair/replacement

This is definitely what I'm going to do. The problem is that I bought it in Hong Kong and leave in Ukraine where there is no official repair center, so I need to understand where I should send it to. Hopefully support will help.  
2018-3-16
Use props
Arcobaleno Reborn
lvl.3

Philippines

lazr Posted at 2018-3-16 11:33
This is definitely what I'm going to do. The problem is that I bought it in Hong Kong and leave in Ukraine where there is no official repair center, so I need to understand where I should send it to. Hopefully support will help.

There is a specific email address you need to send an email for your request since you mentioned you purchase it in hong kong. Please contact dji chat support so that they can provide the email address. I think it is support@dji.com not sure please reach them
2018-3-16
Use props
lazr
lvl.1
Ukraine

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-3-16 11:32
Oh yeah, didn't see that. Extract the flight records from your phone and post. Someone will analyze and offer suggestions.
http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/

I used DJI Goggles, so phone and DJI GO app didn't track my flight, txt log is just on goggles, but unfortunately in DJI assistant there is no option to download my log (which is suspiciously small btw, just 6.4kb), just upload to the server option there. So I even can't get my log...
2018-3-16
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
United States

I don't have the goggles so I don't know what you can do when flying without DJI GO. Is this a Pro or an Air?
2018-3-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

lazr Posted at 2018-3-16 11:39
I used DJI Goggles, so phone and DJI GO app didn't track my flight, txt log is just on goggles, but unfortunately in DJI assistant there is no option to download my log (which is suspiciously small btw, just 6.4kb), just upload to the server option there. So I even can't get my log...

Dji will be able to extract log from goggles , did you receive any warnings ?
2018-3-16
Use props
lazr
lvl.1
Ukraine

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-3-16 11:46
I don't have the goggles so I don't know what you can do when flying without DJI GO. Is this a Pro or an Air?

It is air. If you use goggles, you can't use phone and dji go app accordingly.
2018-3-16
Use props
lazr
lvl.1
Ukraine

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-16 11:48
Dji will be able to extract log from goggles , did you receive any warnings ?

Yep, I believe they will help me to understand what happened, I do not want this to happen again after repair or replacement =)
I didn't see any warnings, but I admit that I might have missed something - unlikely, but still can not exclude as I'm newbie.

2018-3-16
Use props
Silvex
lvl.3

United States

Wow! That's crazy! Sorry it happened. It almost looks like the drone thought the battery was low and the home point was somewhere on the other side of the building. Let us know how it turns out!
2018-3-16
Use props
lazr
lvl.1
Ukraine

Silvex Posted at 2018-3-16 12:26
Wow! That's crazy! Sorry it happened. It almost looks like the drone thought the battery was low and the home point was somewhere on the other side of the building. Let us know how it turns out!

Who knows, but battery in fact was full, it happened just 2 mins after taking off.
Moreover Mavic was in the beginner mode with max avoidance of obstacles enabled, so also totally unclear why Mavic didn't stop near the building...
2018-3-16
Use props
off2board
lvl.2
Flight distance : 379764 ft
United States

Were you flying with the "Head Tracking Flight" checked?  I have the goggles and the Air and I have found it to be incredibly difficult to control the spin of the craft when I have it in this mode.  This is why anytime I use the goggles I have "Head Tracking Gimbal" checked.   Every time I try 'Head Tracking Flight', Ill slightly turn my head and the next thing I know it just starts spinning around.  I've gotten better at it and I think the settings need to be adjusted out of the box but for the first few times...I couldn't control it at all.  I can totally see the Air to just start spinning out of nowhere if you had that checked...because it did it to me.  With that said, I don't understand why it wouldn't of just hovered and spun and why it just kept moving forward.  Maybe you panicked and didn't realize you had the throttle stick forward?  Or maybe you accidentally changed the mode of the controller so the stick controls changed.  
2018-3-16
Use props
lazr
lvl.1
Ukraine

off2board Posted at 2018-3-16 12:41
Were you flying with the "Head Tracking Flight" checked?  I have the goggles and the Air and I have found it to be incredibly difficult to control the spin of the craft when I have it in this mode.  This is why anytime I use the goggles I have "Head Tracking Gimbal" checked.   Every time I try 'Head Tracking Flight', Ill slightly turn my head and the next thing I know it just starts spinning around.  I've gotten better at it and I think the settings need to be adjusted out of the box but for the first few times...I couldn't control it at all.  I can totally see the Air to just start spinning out of nowhere if you had that checked...because it did it to me.  With that said, I don't understand why it wouldn't of just hovered and spun and why it just kept moving forward.  Maybe you panicked and didn't realize you had the throttle stick forward?  Or maybe you accidentally changed the mode of the controller so the stick controls changed.

Yes, I know what you are talking about - it really requires some adaptation for head tracking mode, that's why I used it just few times and for sure didn't use it this time.
And you are right that I was in panic, but just because I realized that I don't control my drone at all, no any reaction to controller. You may see on the video that Mavic flies strictly straight, but at the same time of course I tried to do all I can with my sticks, but zero reaction =(  
2018-3-16
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I am also very sorry for your accident, but I fear this case will be a difficult one and only DJI will be able to analyse the flight data. Thus first of all open a support case with DJI https://www.dji.com/support and make your blackbox data available to them with DJI Assistant. The further procedure will then be explained to you.
Without wanting to throw salt into a fresh wound, I am however a bit surprised that you have chosen to fly with Goggles in such a flying environment with very limited visual control and in particular in view of the fact that at least from your profile data you appear to be a beginner pilot, but I might be wrong on that of course.
2018-3-16
Use props
lazr
lvl.1
Ukraine

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-16 12:51
I am also very sorry for your accident, but I fear this case will be a difficult one and only DJI will be able to analyse the flight data. Thus first of all open a support case with DJI https://www.dji.com/support and make your blackbox data available to them with DJI Assistant. The further procedure will then be explained to you.
Without wanting to throw salt into a fresh wound, I am however a bit surprised that you have chosen to fly with Goggles in such a flying environment with very limited visual control and in particular in view of the fact that at least from your profile data you appear to be a beginner pilot, but I might be wrong on that of course.

Yep, looking forward to get explanation from DJI.
And actually at that moment I controlled drone without goggles, you may see on the video that my friend on the right is in goggles and I'm controlling drone without. I agree with you that in such environment it's better to control drone with your eyes.
And I'm really beginner, but in fact I flew much more than indicated here. BTW, all flights with goggles (and without DJI GO app accordingly) are not counted in stats at all somehow...

2018-3-16
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

lazr Posted at 2018-3-16 13:04
Yep, looking forward to get explanation from DJI.
And actually at that moment I controlled drone without goggles, you may see on the video that my friend on the right is in goggles and I'm controlling drone without. I agree with you that in such environment it's better to control drone with your eyes.
And I'm really beginner, but in fact I flew much more than indicated here. BTW, all flights with goggles (and without DJI GO app accordingly) are not counted in stats at all somehow...

Thank you for your response and I really wish you good luck to get your AC repaired!
2018-3-16
Use props
lazr
lvl.1
Ukraine

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-16 13:11
Thank you for your response and I really wish you good luck to get your AC repaired!

Thank you! I'll try to keep all you informed.
2018-3-16
Use props
Acenspades
lvl.3
United States

Sorry about your crash. I watched it a few times, and look at the way it turns toward the building. It snaps to a heading very precisely. And once it snaps to that heading it goes forward (into the building). notice that it's a very snappy, precise turn to the heading and very straight flight to the building; it doesn't waver too far left right (maybe it went a little bit up or down).  But that snappy turn and straight flight to the building at first initial thoughts looks like possibly a computer error.
2018-3-16
Use props
Acenspades
lvl.3
United States

Let me clarify. it could be a computer error or it could not.  what i meant to say it looked like a feature was activated.  I think someone here mentioned it looked like an RTH move.  
I work NTSB and my initial thoughts are that some route or feature was initiated (probably by accident) that the Air's computer took over.
2018-3-16
Use props
lazr
lvl.1
Ukraine

Acenspades Posted at 2018-3-16 13:59
Let me clarify. it could be a computer error or it could not.  what i meant to say it looked like a feature was activated.  I think someone here mentioned it looked like an RTH move.  
I work NTSB and my initial thoughts are that some route or feature was initiated (probably by accident) that the Air's computer took over.

Interesting that all that happened / lost control right at the moment when I pushed video record button, you may see on the video (this is full video) that next moment drone turned and moved away fast - right after record button - super strange.  
2018-3-16
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, in your case, please contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support Sorry for your accident. You can export the flight data and provide it to our support for further check. Thanks for your support.
2018-3-18
Use props
artDragoon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3615768 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good luck. DJI will probably consider it your fault. Mine ignored all commands and they still threw me under the bus...even with the flight data and other software inconsistencies. Only difference in my case and yours...is that my drone was fine other than a broken prop. Didn't stop them through from making up things to repair...lol. Anyway...good luck. Keep us all posted though on how they handle this situation.
2018-3-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

It is like drone was taken over.  Drone is moving away, makes a 90-degree rotation, and flys right into building.
2018-3-18
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bummer, not that I own a Mavic Air but it pains me to see cases of erratic drone behavior that's an inherent risk to all DJI drones.
2018-3-18
Use props
lazr
lvl.1
Ukraine

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-18 18:52
Hi, in your case, please contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support Sorry for your accident. You can export the flight data and provide it to our support for further check. Thanks for your support.

Thanks, I've done it, waiting on their R&D's conclusion.
2018-3-19
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

lazr Posted at 2018-3-19 05:13
Thanks, I've done it, waiting on their R&D's conclusion.

I see. Hope it can be solved as soon as possible. Thanks.
2018-3-20
Use props
Drongogo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 672992 ft
Russia

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-20 02:46
I see. Hope it can be solved as soon as possible. Thanks.

Жиесть...
2018-3-20
Use props
Acenspades
lvl.3
United States

lazr Posted at 2018-3-19 05:13
Thanks, I've done it, waiting on their R&D's conclusion.

Waiting to hear the results.  
In the meantime, you can take a look at the Autel Evo.  It looks like a great drone but a little bit bigger.  I think it'll take over the market considering DJI doesn't have a direct competitor to it.
2018-3-20
Use props
lazr
lvl.1
Russia

Do you know guys how reactive usually DJI tech support? Sent all logs and details more than week ago and zero information from them still.
2018-3-28
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

lazr Posted at 2018-3-16 11:27
Of course not, in the beginning of the video you can see me with friend on the ground.

He's referring to the person pushing the stroller.
2018-3-29
Use props
Captain PIC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2500 ft
Finland

Again, one of the reasons (besides other reasons) why I decided not to buy Mavic Air.
2018-3-29
Use props
lazr
lvl.1
Russia

Captain PIC Posted at 2018-3-29 02:40
Again, one of the reasons (besides other reasons) why I decided not to buy Mavic Air.

Probably you made the right decision. After more than 10 days from submitting all requested data and assigning case number I got zero information. I've just chatted with support, they said that can't pull any update about my case and recommended to call to Hong Kong or China for clarification because I bought it in Hong Kong (seller told my about int warranty)...Totally disappointed =(

2018-3-29
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

lazr Posted at 2018-3-28 04:36
Do you know guys how reactive usually DJI tech support? Sent all logs and details more than week ago and zero information from them still.

Get in direct contact with either of the following - DJI ELEKTRA, SUSAN, GRACE OR THOR. Provide your case number and they may be able to grease some cogs or look into it themselves. All these 3 are usually quite good at looking into things.
2018-3-29
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Luck you didn't hit someone on the ground, or damaged private property... your loss could be much worse....
2018-3-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Captain PIC Posted at 2018-3-29 02:40
Again, one of the reasons (besides other reasons) why I decided not to buy Mavic Air.

Why ? Because you couldn’t pilot one.     
2018-3-29
Use props
lazr
lvl.1
Russia

ro_flyer Posted at 2018-3-29 07:44
Lucky you didn't hit someone on the ground, or damaged private property... your loss could be much worse....

Yep, this is probably the only positive moment in this story =)
2018-3-29
Use props
Captain PIC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2500 ft
Finland

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-29 07:55
Why ? Because you couldn’t pilot one.

I did have a Phantom 3 4k about one year. From this time, the Drone was in service shop for more than three months. From the first day, the device rotates in an endlessly expanding circle and the picture was fuzzy. I contacted the dealer who said that it was a user induced error. Finally, an independent service company stated that the camera should be replaced and the compass did not work. To get rid of these problems took  three months in Holland. That is why I am very worried about the DJI's customer service and equipment. After reading experiences about the Mavic Air, I think that it feels very risky purchase.
2018-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules