Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 white or obsidian
4759 32 2018-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mr. Stow
lvl.2

Austria

Hello guys! I have been thinking about getting a Phantom 4; the only thing, I am curious about is the color: does the obsidian (like the Mavic Pro Platinum) also have a slightly better perfomance than the usual white phantom?

Besides, I would love to know, which one you like better ;)
https://store.dji.com/product/phantom-4-pro/

fb66e9f3-6e31-4930-8006-dd72da29e4d6.jpg
Single SelectVote, Total 26 people participate in voting
P4 Ob.png

Obsidian

P4 Wh.png

White

Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-3-17
Use props
Tearuup
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123763 ft
United States

I like the Obsidian better, because that is what I have, .  P4P+.  No difference other than color.
2018-3-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Obsidian looks very cool.
2018-3-17
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Absolutely no difference other than the exterior.
2018-3-17
Use props
Black Panther
lvl.4
Flight distance : 407113 ft
United States

I can see the Obsidian better when flying in (below) a cloudy sky but it is harder to see when flying in front of a mountain or trees.  FWIW.  
2018-3-17
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I originally wanted an Obsidian, got 2 bad ones in a row (gimbal issues), so I bought a white one.  Maybe the Phantom 5 will come in dark gray.
2018-3-17
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Living in San Diego.....the sun is out more often than NOT.

Flying mid day for jobs most of the time......Dark = heat absorption......Heat and electronics don't play well.  So I bought the white.

I guess you can say,  it depends on your location as to how hot you are willing to have your equipment.

Don't get me wrong,  I love the dark......it's just not practical in my application.

Randy
2018-3-17
Use props
Archangel3356
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4655896 ft
United States

Like the black look for sure but as mentioned it’s hard to see flying along a mountain backdrop. Also here in Arizona black equals death through the summer. When it’s 118 and the sun is just baking, anything electronic, especially in black takes a beating. Trust me you don’t want to put a jacket on it here, besides it’s the desert, hardly ever rains.
2018-3-17
Use props
Mullheliflier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Obsidian looks very classy to me
2018-3-17
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

Obsidian. I have a P1 in white. I can see it about 300’ out and that’s all. I can see the Obsidian at least 1000’ away, easily. The white just disappears in the sky.

Jeff
2018-3-17
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Obsidian for looks, hands down.
l also bought the obsidian in order to see it better in the sky - l had white P2 and P3 and when l looked down at the telemetry l quite often couldn't pick up the drone again in the sky. l painted the undersides of the arms black on my P3 and that helped. lt would be nice if DJI gave the option of a reflective/white upperside with a darl-coloured underside. lt would be ugly as hell, but very functional.
2018-3-17
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Scrolling through the other responses, l'm curious about the "wetsuits" above. Are they meant to change the colour of the drone to make it more visible, or, since one is shown wet, are they meant to protect the shell from water? lt is the parts that are left exposed by the suit that l wouldn't want to get wet, the shell is just a shell.
2018-3-17
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Obsidian. Easier to see in the sky.
Looks better too.
The remote also looks bad a$$.
2018-3-17
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Phantomrain.org 1 Posted at 2018-3-17 16:53
The Wet Suits were designed to keep water out of the drone .
We have tested the units in extreme downpours as can be seen in this video with no water getting inside the drone,  

Is it really necessary for you flood so many threads with this crap.
2018-3-17
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Australia

Im not the one thats hijacking threads to try and sell something.
Im not the one that needs to use deception to help sell their product ......... oh or should we get dji admin to look into the accounts ...sagefire and Alaska -Quincy
Or just maybe the guys in here that know how to use this forum can look into those 2 accounts to see how much of a fake you really are.
You try and belittle anyone that opposes you by engaging in personal attacks against their character for which you have absolutely no proof.
You must be really desperate for sales to lower yourself to such levels.
Ive said once before that i had nothing against you or your product well thanks for changing my mind on that one now i see you for the person you really are and its about time everyone here knew the truth about you.
2018-3-17
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Australia

Here are some screen shots for every one to judge for themselves
Screenshot_20180318-064304.png Screenshot_20180318-064319.png
2018-3-17
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Australia

My apologise yet again for the interuption to a thread but someone has to let the people know about this person.
2018-3-17
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Australia

Well for one thing i do not work for dji and if i did you certainly would no longer be in this forum the same can be said for me pretending to be an administrator as everyone can clearly see that i do not have dji adim next to my name so your point is completly obsurd.
Why do i hunt you down? Well thats simple to stop you advertising in this forum and to show the people of this forum that you are a not a very good person to deal with.
You have put the nails in your own coffin many of the regulars here can easily see from the threads that i have commented on that i do not pretend in anyway to be dji admin or have any affiliation with dji.
Once again you try and attack on a personal level to vindicate yourself, or are you going to bring out yet another fake account to try and back you up?
Anybody that needs to use deception to try and sell their product is certainly not a good business man and people should be made aware to be cautious of any dealings with such individuals.
2018-3-17
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Australia

Phantomrain.org 1 Posted at 2018-3-17 23:37
Not only do you admit to hunting us down,   but you are also admitting to defamation of character ,  when in FACT you live in Australia and have never purchased a product or delt with us in any way.      
All  this becaue you took it upon yourself to stop us from posting :    Its you who should be removed , if we did someting wrong  we aplogize , but we were under the impression that posting and contributing to the forum was ok to do.

Exactly yes i do live in australia so that makes it very difficult for me to pretend to be an admin doesnt it?
In what way exactly have i admited to defamation of character.
Im not contiuing this any further in this thread if you wish to have this out then pm me or we can let the admins settle this in which the real truth will come out.
2018-3-17
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am seeing the exact same thing, a lot of deceptively advertising posts, only just a few hours ago did i see you reply to a post that last had a reply back in 2016
https://forum.dji.com/thread-47370-1-2.html
It gets very monotonous after a while when you can see that its blantaly trying to advertise in a deceptive way
2018-3-18
Use props
Scott.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 294006 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Phantomrain.org 1 Posted at 2018-3-17 11:13
The white is actually harder to see because it is so reflective as are the shiny stickers people put on there drones ,   We found the the Flat Color of the Neoprene we use in the wetsuits are the best visual next to a light bar being added .   

We also did a video showing how having two colors on the drone provide a good contrast and help with  knowing your orientation in the sky quickly.    Something that many struggle with

The gimbal/camera look really well protected from rain

Seriously, what is the point?
2018-3-18
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

The darker the better! White is hard to spot in the sky, even harder with clouds!
2018-3-18
Use props
Bartiflier
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Sheesh, what a load of snake oil. Covering the bits that are already waterproof with something to "make them waterproof", leaving the exposed areas exposed and giving tips that would apply to any aircraft at any time. Don't fly in rain, but if you do: rely on DJI to have done a good job with water tolerances on the camera and gimbal to get you through it, not the 'wetsuit' that's on the areas that don't care anyway.

Someone has clearly taken the "customise your aircraft with stickers" idea too far and thinks this is a good idea. One born every minute.

I have an Obsidian, but as I am slightly worried about the sunlight on a dark surface - potentially allowing the battery to heat up more and shortening its life - I'll be putting a white sticker on the top to reflect back some of the sunlight. I wouldn't like to predict what might happen if I flew it around in a sheepskin overcoat in the sun, so I won't be doing that...
2018-3-19
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

They're both great drones.   The P4PO is much easier to spot in most situations, which is why I bought it.  Plus, everything looks better in black.
2018-3-19
Use props
DanielTheRider
lvl.4
United States

Black drones matter!
2018-3-19
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Phantomrain.org 1 Posted at 2018-3-17 23:37
Not only do you admit to hunting us down,   but you are also admitting to defamation of character ,  when in FACT you live in Australia and have never purchased a product or delt with us in any way.      
All  this because you took it upon yourself to stop us from posting :    Its you who should be removed , if we did someting wrong  we aplogize , but we were under the impression that posting and contributing to the forum was ok to do.

"if we did someting wrong  we aplogize"
Sorry to interrupt this thread, but you do something wrong, actually by every post you make as even your forum name is an advertisement, you simply must have overlooked this from the rules here.:
VI: Advertising Services and Solicitation
1. We  do not allow people to post threads or to send any private messages or  emails to users that advertise any products, services, funds or  donations. This includes anything that may  compete with any items on the official DJI Store, DJI products or not.

It is not about someone acting as a moderator, we are just some regular users really tired of you constant use every opportunity to advertise your crap. If your suits was as good as you claim you would not have to advertise, the word would spread.
Imagine everyone who has something to sell act the same as you do, it would be a hell being a regular user in here.

Even a link i posted the other day to a 3 year old thread made you go advertising there, too far out, please stop it!

2018-3-20
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

@OP
Sorry again for the above post, but couldn't stand it any longer ...
Here is a link to a old thread for inspiration what ever model you end up falling in love with.
2018-3-20
Use props
Tearuup
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123763 ft
United States

KedDK Posted at 2018-3-20 01:41
@OP
Sorry again for the above post, but couldn't stand it any longer ...
Here is a link to a old thread for inspiration what ever model you end up falling in love with.

I'm with you KedDK.  The thread was a poll about which we liked better and got carried away with a lot of BS.
2018-3-20
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
Flight distance : 385942 ft
United States

I bought an obsidian because I think it looks better, also easier to see when looking at it in the sky. However, if the drone is below the horizon line it tends to blend with the trees and ground and is very difficult to maintain visual sight on the drone.
2018-3-20
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Australia

I prefer white the obsidian looks great but the white does it for me i bought a cple of pen lights for it can see it clearly against any background. And also increased vlos by at least 1 klm or more.
2018-3-20
Use props
Andie_the_Lab
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1015397 ft
  • >>>
United States

if i'm not mistaken doesnt the Obsidian use Magnesium for some parts over plastic?

that was my main reasoning apart from color to get the Obsidian P4P+
2018-3-20
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Andie_the_Lab Posted at 2018-3-20 12:52
if i'm not mistaken doesnt the Obsidian use Magnesium for some parts over plastic?

that was my main reasoning apart from color to get the Obsidian P4P+

No that was only a plating and only used for the "Show Off" ...
update-phantom-4-pro-obsidian-gimbal-system

Edit:
You see this on the P4P page :"The adoption of titanium alloy and magnesium alloy construction increases the rigidity of the airframe and reduces weight" but that is the description for both the White and Black models and compared against the P4 standard.

2018-3-20
Use props
Hurley1718
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Obsidian.
2018-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now