Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Spark: Constantly needing to calibrate compass
875 6 2018-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheBeater04
lvl.1
Colombia

So: I recently bought a Spark. It's my first ever drone.
I live in an area which has some high voltage cables nearby. Does this affect the compass in the drone? My brother has a Mavic Air and he's having the same problem. He says it's my Spark, but I think the cable is making some interferience with them.
Thanks.
2018-3-17
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

What does a camping compass do?  Does the Spark do that in other areas?  The cables could do that but it could be any magnetized source near the Spark.  I would take a look at the arrow icon of the Spark as shown on the DJI Go app.  Is it hunting around?
2018-3-17
Use props
TheBeater04
lvl.1
Colombia

It isn't jumping (I still haven't noticed. When I fly it today i'll see. Thanks a lot
2018-3-17
Use props
Ram-UK
Captain
Flight distance : 1132648 ft
United Kingdom

From my experience and a few tests I can say that Spark will not tolerate any small interferences from metal, power lines, etc. Therefore I wouldn’t recommend you fly your Spark with compass errors.

Please take your Spark to a interference free area, a big open space (I.e. park, away from buildings and power lines) and try it.  Do not try to calibrate your compass in an area where you have problems with interference.

Hope it helps !!!
2018-3-17
Use props
Ram-UK
Captain
Flight distance : 1132648 ft
United Kingdom

From my experience and a few tests I can say that Spark will not tolerate any small interferences from metal, power lines, etc. Therefore I wouldn’t recommend you fly your Spark with compass errors.

Please take your Spark to a interference free area, a big open space (I.e. park, away from buildings and power lines) and try it.  Do not try to calibrate your compass in an area where you have problems with interference.

Hope it helps !!!
2018-3-17
Use props
Jezmo
Second Officer
United States

Yes, it most definitely could be the power lines. I have lived near power lines that would cause a florescent bulb to light up when held up in your hand. That set of power lines would also make your skin feel as if tiny bugs were crawling on you especially if the relative humidity was a bit high. It doesn't take much of an electromagnetic field to interfere with a compass. One of the best clues you have is your brothers Mavic Air doing the same thing.
2018-3-18
Use props
TheBeater04
lvl.1
Colombia

Thank you guys!
2018-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules