Tracking my dog
1107 25 2018-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Hi all, so when i go flying my dogs always go along. My husky hangs with me for a bit but then goes wandering off on his own. Today i decided to follow him.

At one point in the clip i have flown under some trees.
My flying location/home point was about 500m away and on the other side of trees and bush so i was really concerned that the signal would drop out but it did not - pretty impressed about that.

2018-3-17
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Must not have too many electrical interference, great video!
2018-3-17
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

Lucas775 Posted at 2018-3-17 15:07
Must not have too many electrical interference, great video!

Thanks Lucas
Interestingly my friend who has a samsung s7 (recommended device) was worried about his flashing signal icon and poor signal warnings - we launched from and flew in the same location and i even flew behind trees and yet without a recommended devise i had solid connection throughout.
This was very lucky for me because only when i got home did i realise that my 'signal loss' command was for RTH vs hover - which means if i had lost connection my drone would have raised vertically into the tree. Lucky....
2018-3-17
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Yup, that RTH oversight could have been costly.  This shows the value of preflight check lists  ;)
2018-3-17
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-3-17 15:36
Thanks Lucas
Interestingly my friend who has a samsung s7 (recommended device) was worried about his flashing signal icon and poor signal warnings - we launched from and flew in the same location and i even flew behind trees and yet without a recommended devise i had solid connection throughout.
This was very lucky for me because only when i got home did i realise that my 'signal loss' command was for RTH vs hover - which means if i had lost connection my drone would have raised vertically into the tree. Lucky....

Very lucky you are!
2018-3-17
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Man's best friend for a reason...
2018-3-17
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-17 19:41
Man's best friend for a reason...

quite right
2018-3-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice vid - OcuSync is very powerful - it will take a lot of obstruction and interference to break it at 500m.
2018-3-18
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-3-18 00:26
Nice vid - OcuSync is very powerful - it will take a lot of obstruction and interference to break it at 500m.

thanks acw - yeh it was actually the RC signal link that i was surprised maintained itself.
Only the faintest glitch at one point through the trees but snapped back to perfect image quickly

when my drone is close to me i get issues (inconsistent) when it is far and in really imperfect conditions - it handles like an SAS warrior
2018-3-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It is odd how being closer to you causes more interference. Would like to know what is causing that.
2018-3-18
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Nice video, thank you!
2018-3-18
Use props
fans90220354
lvl.2

Hong Kong

The dog is cute!
2018-3-18
Use props
eddieNoob
lvl.4
Puerto Rico

A CW Posted at 2018-3-18 01:08
It is odd how being closer to you causes more interference. Would like to know what is causing that.

Just conjecture (not actually tested by me), but it's possible that when the AC is close to the pilot (depending on what 'close' means) that the antennae may not be optimally facing the bird. When it's farther away, the antennae are more likely to be orientated better (ie, perpendicular to line of sight to the AC). When the bird is close--just overhead and slightly in front of the pilot--it's likely that the RC is not pointed UP at the AC. Just a thought.
2018-3-18
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

eddieNoob Posted at 2018-3-18 04:40
Just conjecture (not actually tested by me), but it's possible that when the AC is close to the pilot (depending on what 'close' means) that the antennae may not be optimally facing the bird. When it's farther away, the antennae are more likely to be orientated better (ie, perpendicular to line of sight to the AC). When the bird is close--just overhead and slightly in front of the pilot--it's likely that the RC is not pointed UP at the AC. Just a thought.

thanks eddie - i thought about that and researched and tested methodically.
Main problem is that the results are inconsistent so pinning the problem down continues to elude me,.
My antenae position is good and i face the drone properly and i tested another remote control and have the same problem. Sometimes the problem is very bad - some times not so bad and occasionally not at all.

About the only two consistent features i can find are ;
1. that the problems seem to start with a common issue (which is that the small bits of whites in my pic start looking like worms which then get bigger until the entire image blurrs out or pixilates out.
2. brightness of day: seems to be much more prevalent on bright days vs late afternoon or cloudy days
2018-3-18
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-3-18 00:55
thanks acw - yeh it was actually the RC signal link that i was surprised maintained itself.
Only the faintest glitch at one point through the trees but snapped back to perfect image quickly

Nice video. Would be interested to know if you had WiFi turned on - on your phone? I think if there's a WiFi signal from a different device in close proximity to the drone, then the control signal receiver on the drone can register it as interference. When the weather improves (Northern Hemisphere!) I'll be trying out some tests on this myself.
2018-3-18
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Nice video.

Here in Arizona having your doggie off it's leash you are  guilty of a class 2 misdemeanor. ($50 dollar fine )
But I could tell you had the Mavic leash on him so you are safe.  
2018-3-18
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2018-3-18 12:00
Nice video. Would be interested to know if you had WiFi turned on - on your phone? I think if there's a WiFi signal from a different device in close proximity to the drone, then the control signal receiver on the drone can register it as interference. When the weather improves (Northern Hemisphere!) I'll be trying out some tests on this myself.

today me and my mate flew in exactly the same spot as yesterday and standing in the same proximity to each other.
yesterday i had lots of good video and made the video clip of my dog - today i deleted every single clip because all was pixilated and or washed out.
2018-3-18
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

B1houdini Posted at 2018-3-18 12:12
Nice video.

Here in Arizona having your doggie off it's leash you are  guilty of a class 2 misdemeanor. ($50 dollar fine )

VLOS

2018-3-18
Use props
kfloke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149961 ft
Singapore

Nice dog with nice video...
2018-3-18
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

kfloke Posted at 2018-3-18 21:24
Nice dog with nice video...

thanks ;-)
2018-3-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice to see
2018-3-19
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

when i first started flying i used to worry about him when he trotted off and so for a while it was either dog walk or drone flying.
Then i noticed that he would always wonder off back to the car - so i worried less and flew more.

Now that i have followed him i can see he goes and plays for a while with other dogs and then starts wandering back to the car where he seems happy to wait for us.
And me very happy to be flying without worrying about him.
2018-3-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-3-19 13:57
when i first started flying i used to worry about him when he trotted off and so for a while it was either dog walk or drone flying.
Then i noticed that he would always wonder off back to the car - so i worried less and flew more.

It sure looks nice.
Hope nobody gets scared from a loose dog
2018-3-19
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-19 13:59
It sure looks nice.
Hope nobody gets scared from a loose dog

we (locals at that park) encourage new comers to let their dogs off the leash - there are only about 3 dogs that some regular walkers keep on a leash - otherwise every other dog is free range.
Sometimes it happens that 15 dogs or more of all shapes and sizes come together at one point - only time there was every an issue is with dogs on a leash - when i see a dog on a leash i walk a different route or call my dogs to stand with me till they pass.
In more than 10 years as a regular at that park i have personally never seen a dog fight there.
I did hear about one fight once and the owner of the dog had to pay a vets bill - after that they walked their dogs somewhere else.
i would not like if people were scared of my dogs but they are friendly and gentle and the rule in our park is 'free range' so if others do worry then i am happy to help them relax but if they are IMO being unreasonable then i walk away and let them get over it on their own.
2018-3-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-3-19 14:38
we (locals at that park) encourage new comers to let their dogs off the leash - there are only about 3 dogs that some regular walkers keep on a leash - otherwise every other dog is free range.
Sometimes it happens that 15 dogs or more of all shapes and sizes come together at one point - only time there was every an issue is with dogs on a leash - when i see a dog on a leash i walk a different route or call my dogs to stand with me till they pass.
In more than 10 years as a regular at that park i have personally never seen a dog fight there.

I personally try to judge how the owner looks when I see a unknown dog walking off the leash.
It is rather easy to distinguish the ones that have control over their dog and ones that don't.
I don't own one myself btw, but our children are afraid of dogs so I have to keep an eye on them.
And I must say I had a lot of bad experiences here with dogs that really don't listen.
(Don't get me wrong, I like dogs a lot, but we have some allergis in the fam)
2018-3-19
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice video thanks for sharing. Risky
2018-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now