Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Using the Mavic Air Active Track to follow my RC rock crawler
1135 11 2018-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mikem691
First Officer
Flight distance : 247474 ft
United States

I was wondering if this would work

2018-3-17
Use props
Mavic air Robert
lvl.1
Flight distance : 81322 ft
New Zealand

I've found so far the tracking works well if you are close or the objects are large. even following me became difficult at about 20m on a bright sunny day
2018-3-17
Use props
Mavic air Robert
lvl.1
Flight distance : 81322 ft
New Zealand

have you found out what speed it will track up to?
2018-3-17
Use props
Mikem691
First Officer
United States

Mavic air Robert Posted at 2018-3-17 17:03
I've found so far the tracking works well if you are close or the objects are large. even following me became difficult at about 20m on a bright sunny day

I did not think it would track something that small. I was shocked it worked.
2018-3-17
Use props
Mikem691
First Officer
United States

Mavic air Robert Posted at 2018-3-17 17:03
have you found out what speed it will track up to?

That's another test I want to do. I have seen some get up to 15mi an hour on you tube.
2018-3-17
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Captain
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Your video also shows what I've warned folks about a lot.  The quad, in active track, does not follow in the the exact path of the thing being followed.  Instead, it will cut diagonally to get back into position for a subject that has made a turn.  If you had driven your remote car around one of those trees nearby, I'm certain you'd have crashed your quad into one.  This is just something I often tell folks about, after nearly losing my Mavic when first experimenting with active track.  
2018-3-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-3-17 18:13
Your video also shows what I've warned folks about a lot.  The quad, in active track, does not follow in the the exact path of the thing being followed.  Instead, it will cut diagonally to get back into position for a subject that has made a turn.  If you had driven your remote car around one of those trees nearby, I'm certain you'd have crashed your quad into one.  This is just something I often tell folks about, after nearly losing my Mavic when first experimenting with active track.

Good warning or FYI.

First time I used active track, my Mavic Pro came very close to hitting a tiny limb off a tree branch.
I am glad to say, the Mavic Pro detected something, and backed off.  Yeah Mavic!

I missed seeing tiny limb because I was walking on dirt trail, and trying to look at tiny cellphone screen in day light.

2018-3-17
Use props
Mikem691
First Officer
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-3-17 18:13
Your video also shows what I've warned folks about a lot.  The quad, in active track, does not follow in the the exact path of the thing being followed.  Instead, it will cut diagonally to get back into position for a subject that has made a turn.  If you had driven your remote car around one of those trees nearby, I'm certain you'd have crashed your quad into one.  This is just something I often tell folks about, after nearly losing my Mavic when first experimenting with active track.

I did have APAS on but I had my eye on the quad the whole time.
2018-3-18
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Nice test, thank you!
2018-3-18
Use props
Mikem691
First Officer
United States

Thanks and your welcome.
2018-3-20
Use props
Ethan99
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Try using one of these models Redcat Racing Everest–10, my friend said that they have a smoother stroke than yours. For the next test, I recommend trying to make a smooth start of the drone from the meadow and when it rises, slowly move the crawler, then fix your drone at one point so that it does not move. The video will be shorter than yours, but more epic.
2019-4-18
Use props
Ethan99
lvl.1

Australia

Found some more options for shooting these crawler https://wisepick.org/best-rc-rock-crawler. Look beautiful!
2019-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules