Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Lost file/videos on SD still on cache
852 12 2018-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanse0081dfa
lvl.1
Costa Rica

Hi!
I have a Phantom 4 Pro + I did my first flights during the weekend. Using two different micro SD cards. On one all the videos were recorded but on the other one most of the videos are missing, still recorded on the second micro SD some of a morning session but not the ones I did later. On the Album (in the controller) I can see the videos that were not recorded on the SD, so they seem to be on the cache. I undestood that automatically videos get stored on SD (apparently not!) Although I know that the ones on the cache are low res, still would like to retrieve them, I conected the controller to the computer and tapped USB connected and turned USB storage the videos did not apper.

So I have two questions in one:

a) Why some of the videos did not store on card but did on cache? Is there any way to recover them from the SD (let's say it got recorded but are 'hidden'.

b) How to retrieve the videos from the cache?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2018-3-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

If one SD card is recording the videos and the other is not, then very likely you have a faultry SD card or it is not fast enough in write speed to do the job. I recommend a Sandisk Extreme Pro series card.
2018-3-17
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The stills and videos are always recorded to the SD card.

Did you remember to switch off recording before powering the Phantom off?
If you don't, the file is not closed and can be overwritten later.
Look at the file names and see if there are missing numbers in the sequence.
2018-3-17
Use props
fanse0081dfa
lvl.1
Costa Rica

Geebax Posted at 2018-3-17 19:17
If one SD card is recording the videos and the other is not, then very likely you have a faultry SD card or it is not fast enough in write speed to do the job. I recommend a Sandisk Extreme Pro series card.

Hi! thats what I thought, but it did record some videos but not all, in the cache of the controller I can seen all the videos. That is why I know that I was recording. What is weird is that the videos are not on the card but on the cache.
2018-3-18
Use props
fanse0081dfa
lvl.1
Costa Rica

Labroides Posted at 2018-3-17 20:41
The stills and videos are always recorded to the SD card.

Did you remember to switch off recording before powering the Phantom off?

Hi, I might not have done that (switching of recording before powering off the phantom), but the files were recorded in the cache, so I guess they did record (just not on the SD). Looking at the file names (basically the dates/times) all the files are on the cache but not the SD.
2018-3-18
Use props
fanse0081dfa
lvl.1
Costa Rica

fanse0081dfa Posted at 2018-3-18 05:34
Hi! thats what I thought, but it did record some videos but not all, in the cache of the controller I can seen all the videos. That is why I know that I was recording. What is weird is that the videos are not on the card but on the cache.

By the way the card is a ScanDisk Extreme, almost new that did record correclty prior to this flights : (
2018-3-18
Use props
fanse0081dfa
lvl.1
Costa Rica

Geebax Posted at 2018-3-17 19:17
If one SD card is recording the videos and the other is not, then very likely you have a faultry SD card or it is not fast enough in write speed to do the job. I recommend a Sandisk Extreme Pro series card.

By the way the card is a ScanDisk Extreme, almost new that did record correclty prior to this flights : (
2018-3-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fanse0081dfa Posted at 2018-3-18 05:34
Hi! thats what I thought, but it did record some videos but not all, in the cache of the controller I can seen all the videos. That is why I know that I was recording. What is weird is that the videos are not on the card but on the cache.

What is recorded in the cache is a reduced resolution copy of the feed from the aircraft to the RC unit. If you have it set up to record to the cache, then yes, it will always record there. The real file is the one on the SD card in the camera, and it is full resolution and does not have any transmission glitches. If your card is not always recording, try copying off any files you need and then format the card in the aircraft using the format function in camera settings.
2018-3-18
Use props
fanse0081dfa
lvl.1
Costa Rica

Geebax Posted at 2018-3-18 14:50
What is recorded in the cache is a reduced resolution copy of the feed from the aircraft to the RC unit. If you have it set up to record to the cache, then yes, it will always record there. The real file is the one on the SD card in the camera, and it is full resolution and does not have any transmission glitches. If your card is not always recording, try copying off any files you need and then format the card in the aircraft using the format function in camera settings.

how can I retrieve the videos (even if they are low res) from the cache?
2018-3-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fanse0081dfa Posted at 2018-3-18 17:49

I will leave that to someone who knows, I have never bothered to do it because the files are awful. What device do you have, Android or iOS?
2018-3-18
Use props
fanse0081dfa
lvl.1
Costa Rica

Geebax Posted at 2018-3-18 18:13
I will leave that to someone who knows, I have never bothered to do it because the files are awful. What device do you have, Android or iOS?

Because its the phantom 4 pro + it does not need a mobile phone (has it's own screen). I use a Mac were I would download them.
2018-3-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fanse0081dfa Posted at 2018-3-18 18:31
Because its the phantom 4 pro + it does not need a mobile phone (has it's own screen). I use a Mac were I would download them.

In that case, Good Luck, I have never heard of anyone downloading files from one of those.
2018-3-18
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

fanse0081dfa Posted at 2018-3-18 17:49

If not found in the obvious places, DCIM, Media, Movies etc. try looking in "DJI / dji.pilotpad" there you can find DJI_RECORD, CACHE_IMAGE, ALBUM and so on.
I can't remember the path as i have not used caching of my records for very long.
2018-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules