1429 18 2018-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is a shout out to all our Dutch friends flying out there. 2nd time I have seen this about using birds of prey to take down our birds. The UK in some area's already have it in place -

https://vdr.one/dutch-police-has ... o-take-down-drones/
2018-3-17
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

7 december 2017
"The Dutch police stops using specially trained birds of prey to remove unwanted drones from the air.
Not only is the training, keeping and use of the birds of prey more difficult than expected, there is also less demand for the birds of prey than expected.
In addition, the technological development of drones is fast and requires different measures."

https://www.dronewatch.nl/2017/12/07/politie-gaat-geen-roofvogels-meer-inzetten-om-drones-te-stoppen/

2018-3-18
Use props
Mullheliflier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I must say I am totally against this. You could have a gust of wind move the drone, or the bird mis judges the catch and gets its crop ripped open or other damage. I gather they put anklets on to protect the birds legs, but there are other parts of the bird that could get damaged.
2018-3-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting article - thanks for sharing
2018-3-18
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mullheliflier Posted at 2018-3-18 02:07
I must say I am totally against this. You could have a gust of wind move the drone, or the bird mis judges the catch and gets its crop ripped open or other damage. I gather they put anklets on to protect the birds legs, but there are other parts of the bird that could get damaged.

Agree with that one. I would much rather it be shot down instead of possible damage to the bird. Would chop a foot off if it got the attack angle wrong. How many were injured in the training would be a good question to ask them.?? But then again, If you don't fly like a doosh in the 1st place, you have nothing to be concerned about.
2018-3-18
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-3-18 02:15
Agree with that one. I would much rather it be shot down instead of possible damage to the bird. Would chop a foot off if it got the attack angle wrong. How many were injured in the training would be a good question to ask them.?? But then again, If you don't fly like a doosh in the 1st place, you have nothing to be concerned about.

Understandibly, there was a lot of public resistance against animals being used to take drones down. I don't think it was a good idea to begin with either.

Shooting drones down however is not a solution, because it will go down uncontrollably, and that was the main objective in using eagles, so that they can take drones out of potentially hazardous enviroments, like above crowds and such.
2018-3-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Thanks for sharing with us. Hope more pilots be aware of this and fly legally.
2018-3-18
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

For the dutch guys along us, you can protect your mavic pro a little bit from attacking birds of prey with a red skin.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-139177-1-1.html
if you have intrest PM me.
2018-3-18
Use props
DroneDriver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1164226 ft
  • >>>
United States

Most governments have given up on this idea. The birds were not as reliable as they had hoped as well as the concern over the large commercial drones that could take down the bird and keep going.
2018-3-19
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

DroneDriver Posted at 2018-3-19 02:57
Most governments have given up on this idea. The birds were not as reliable as they had hoped as well as the concern over the large commercial drones that could take down the bird and keep going.

I bet the dog in your avatar would get the job done
2018-3-19
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DroneDriver Posted at 2018-3-19 02:57
Most governments have given up on this idea. The birds were not as reliable as they had hoped as well as the concern over the large commercial drones that could take down the bird and keep going.

2 Choices - Drone or big fat Wabbit.....Instinct wins every time...
2018-3-19
Use props
Tadango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232359 ft
Suriname

It was one of the most stupid ideas ever. No sane bird trainer supported it. It was a waste of money, as most things here in NL.
2018-3-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Not anymore.
As some have pointed out (and lot's thought on forehand) this was not the best idea ever
2018-3-19
Use props
DroneDriver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1164226 ft
  • >>>
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-19 03:03
I bet the dog in your avatar would get the job done

Heeey. What dog? That's my girl friend...
2018-3-21
Use props
Jay W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 259462 ft
Malaysia

Seems like an unnecessarily large expenditure of resources to tackle a drone problem.. OR is there actually a huge drone problem in NL?  Do you see many flying all over in the NL?
2018-3-21
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Agree with the folks above, but I do worry a bit about terrorists using drones for attacks.  Some kind of interception will definitely need to come into play to combat that threat.  I know they have nets and radio interceptors.  Hopefully that'll be enough.
2018-3-21
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Oh, not Dutch pilots by bloodline but anyone flying in that country.  I thought the drone was doing something to us.  

I still think it would be easier to armor up some cheap race drones, with or without cameras, and just fly them into the big expensive camera drone.  The police would have a blast learning to intercept intruding aircraft.  And it would be fun handing the wayward Inspire owner a tissue when he gets his drone back in a small parts bag.
2018-3-21
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-3-21 18:07
Oh, not Dutch pilots by bloodline but anyone flying in that country.  I thought the drone was doing something to us.  

I still think it would be easier to armor up some cheap race drones, with or without cameras, and just fly them into the big expensive camera drone.  The police would have a blast learning to intercept intruding aircraft.  And it would be fun handing the wayward Inspire owner a tissue when he gets his drone back in a small parts bag.

Definitely a great spectacle to watch from below. Probably bring some extra tissues though, there might be a little colleteral damage.

1e165d67-6d35-43f1-b74c-0014cc4abea9.jpg
This is the only event I've seen that the Eagle was standing by, ready to intercept.
2018-3-22
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-3-21 17:33
Agree with the folks above, but I do worry a bit about terrorists using drones for attacks.  Some kind of interception will definitely need to come into play to combat that threat.  I know they have nets and radio interceptors.  Hopefully that'll be enough.

Unfortunately, radio signal jammers are forbidden by law in the whole of Europe.
2018-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules