After how many days should I choose discharge
8131 10 2018-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cartelz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 459948 ft
Sweden

In the battery settings of phantom 3s battery you can choose days to discharge what should I choose what's the best for the battery?
2018-3-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It all depends on how often you fly.
The idea is that you don't leave batteries fully charged if you aren't going to fly.
2018-3-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Cartelz,

My friend an I were just having that conversation today.  The answer is relative to how often you fly.  I like to keep mine charged and ready to fly, but we have had terrible weather for a month, so no matter what, I will have to charge my batteries before I can fly.  So, in my case I like to keep them without discharge for the full 10 days.  What ever you do, the latest recommendations are to not store your batteries for a long time fully charged or with very little charge.  Long term storage recommendation is around 50%.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-3-18
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

If you are using your drone on a regular basis for example once a week then there should be no need to set a discharge time but if you are planning on not flying for some time then i dont believe it will matter what you set the timer for just as long as your batteries are not permitted to get to low in state of charge.
Doing so will only cause damage to the battery and posibly make it unusable.
If your not going to fly for a very long time then you should recharge the batteries at least every 3-4 months. This will stop the batteries from getting to low in state of charge.
2018-3-18
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
France

Personally I believe in short setting ... mine are at 3 days.

The default 10days is fine if you fly so often that even 1 day is too long !!  But I would suggest that 2 - 3 days is a good average setting for most.

But be aware that the moment you disconnect a battery of ANY type from a charger ... it starts to self discharge. Therefore lets say you set your batterys to 3 day.

Day 1 you charge and don't go flying. You bench the battery and consider flying next day....

PLEASE put battery back on charge next day before flying ... switch battery on and connect charger ..................... watch that battery take more charge !!  

It is good practice to charge as close to flight time as possible.

Nigel
2018-3-18
Use props
Cartelz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 459948 ft
Sweden

Thanks for all the answers!
2018-3-18
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

I used to have mine set at 10 days  but having done some  research have chosen to go to 2 days to be on the safe side , this gives me time to charge them all the day before and if the weather changes i still have a further 24hrs to fly before discharge starts .
2018-3-18
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

I also use 2 days, always fully charge them either in the evening or morning before flying, and recharge to just over 50% after flying.

I normally only fly once a week, and if the flight is abandoned due to weather then it is best for the batteries if they self-discharge sooner rather than later.

I don't see why anyone would get much advantage from long settings since you still need to give them a full charge before flight to be sure the % reading is correct.  If you have a lot of batteries, fly daily and need to keep them all full, then maybe a long setting can save you some time, but you still need to recharge the unused ones or you risk an unexpected critical landing due to incorrect % readings.
2018-3-18
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
France

OK lets clear up some points about LiPo's ..

There are various items that shorten life of LiPo's :

1. Maintaining full charge condition too long - this over time causes chemical change that reduces output capability and can lead to 'puffing'.
2. Discharging too low - regardless of High Voltage LiPo (4.35v per cell) or normal (4.20v per cell) and staying below 3.7v per cell is damaging.
3. In use discharging at high rates that approach or exceed C rating - this overheats and puffs the pack.
4. Charging at too high a rate. Charge C rate and Discharge C rates are two distinct different rates  - as example a typical average LiPo could have a charge C rate of 3C and a discharge C rate of 30C ...

Therefore husbanding of Lipo's is using common sense and not pushing them outside of sensible limits.

1. Storage of batterys with cell voltages as balanced as possible and each cell from 3.75 - 3.90V  ... for a P3 battery being a 4 cell = 15.0v - 15.6v total.
2. Lipo's can be discharged in flight (we will consider general RC work here) down to 3.3v as long as once cooled - LiPo is charged back to storage level 3.75 - 3.9v per cell. For DJI batterys - it is not advised to push below 15% charge level because you are in danger of triggering auto-landing.
3. DJI rate of discharge is suited to pack design .... but general RC - we take great care to wattmeter power demand to match LiPo to the required power.
4. Despite various claims of users - charging at high rates ie 3C and higher can damage a lipo unless designed for such rates. Usual LiPo's are best at 1C or at most 2C rates .... DJi system seems to be intended to charge at around the 1 - 2C rate depending on which charger and how far discharged pack is.

Summary : Discharge lipo's if not using same or at least early next day. Try to reduce the amount of time pack stays full charged. Periodically check battery level and if less than 1solid + 1 flashing LED - charge up to full and let auto-discharge system do its job.

Nigel
2018-3-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have all of mine set to 3 days
2018-3-18
Use props
jess310
lvl.1
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-3-18 08:26
OK lets clear up some points about LiPo's ..

There are various items that shorten life of LiPo's :

I'm new to drones even though I've had my P4P for about two years.  I may have used it every other month and didn't know about this discharging feature.  I have been leaving my spare fully charged and the battery in drone between 1 light to two. This year it will definitely get more use.  I had to buy another RC bc the one that came with my drone won't stop beeping no matter how long I charge it for.  Maybe one day I will get the old RC working again.
2019-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules