625 2 2018-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mixchief
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

You guys might have seen my post about the DJI goggles and how they just could not stay on my head making them useless to me. I did really like the field of view, but also had trouble with the fine focus even wearing reading glasses I normaly use to work at the computer. Well I gave up on them and returned them, but the Goggles frver wouldnt let me go. I finally decided to try another pair, but the prices of these things are ridiculous, $400 for the fat sharks or the DJIs both full of features that my Inspire 1 cant use anyway or the Epsons which look terrific but $700? ouch. Then I had a brilliant idea and looked into the Yuneec Skyview goggles, which have an hdmi input and though they look bulky and heavy like the DJIs really aren't. They are very confortable on my head and I can lift them easily when I need to see the craft, The field of view is not as wide as the DJI as it uses only one screen. At first I wasn't a believer that that method would work for specially after the screen on the DJIs, I was wrong, the single screen is actually easier on the eyes and it is actually sharper instantly as you don't need to make adjustments, Yes for critical focusing the need for reading glasses is absolutely there, but they have plenty of room to wear your glasses. I do wish I could find some inserts though, what I don't like is that when I want to take the goggles off or just lift them the glasses get caught but don't really follow the goggles, granted a different stile glasses might work, I end up pulling the glasses out and the fall on my nose again keeping me from getting a clear view of the craft, but help me look at the app screen LOL, yeah I know "make up your mind"

Anyway, I know ther were a few folks that expressed my same complaints about the DJIs, so I wanted to share that the Yuneecs do everything the DJIs do for the I1 but in the long run more comfortably and with possibly sharper image, at least for me. just one more complaint, the screen might be placed a little too low and the telemetry tends to get lost at leat to my eyes forcing me to place the goggles in a slightly weird possition changing the angle they st on my nose. If anyone is using these please chime in and if you have found inserts for prescrition glasses that work well with the Skyviews,oh and btw I paid $130 give or take a couple of bucks from BuyDig via Ebay. Best goggles for the money!
2018-3-18
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I noticed some of the issues mentioned about lenses not being in the right spot and went to my local optical shop to ask about them.   The owner said the problem is that most VR googles are designed for an Asian head and do not fit the American head.  Opticians are always complaining to him about the fit of glasses between the two different head shapes and the different lens spacing as well as the bridge and slant to the lenses so he had to carry a line of glasses that are designed to fit an Asian head shape.

Years ago I went to a motorcycle helmet seminar held by Shoei helmets at a BMW rally.  The USA manager told us the same issue happened in helmets as they were first designed for Japanese heads, and Americans complained about the forehead pressing in and leaving red marks so Shoei had to re-tool the molds for the American head which cost around $10,000 per mold in each size.
2018-3-18
Use props
mixchief
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2018-3-18 06:41
I noticed some of the issues mentioned about lenses not being in the right spot and went to my local optical shop to ask about them.   The owner said the problem is that most VR googles are designed for an Asian head and do not fit the American head.  Opticians are always complaining to him about the fit of glasses between the two different head shapes and the different lens spacing as well as the bridge and slant to the lenses so he had to carry a line of glasses that are designed to fit an Asian head shape.

Years ago I went to a motorcycle helmet seminar held by Shoei helmets at a BMW rally.  The USA manager told us the same issue happened in helmets as they were first designed for Japanese heads, and Americans complained about the forehead pressing in and leaving red marks so Shoei had to re-tool the molds for the American head which cost around $10,000 per mold in each size.

Well, believe it or not I had a few moments where I felt my head was abnormal, what with seeing all these you tube videos where folks are wearing the goggles up or down without a care in the world, I'm not oriental nor am I caucasian, as all the folks in the videos, but these goggles just seemed like they were not meant to be worn on my head at all. DJI took the time to design some though a bit large and bulky, pretty cool looking goggles, but they just were not meant for me. So far everything about the yuneecs deliver everything the DJIs did, yeah the screen is not as large blah blah, it's not an issue if the damn things just don't stay put, again the screen and fov are not as nice as the DJIs but the quality and crispness of the Yuneec make the very useful to achieve focus, something that just didn't work for me with the DJIs.
2018-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules