3367 34 2015-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
xsalmanx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2726519 ft
  • >>>
United States

The DJI Pilot update just went live in the Apple App Store.  Not sure what new features this brings for Inspire 1 users ... post your findings!

dji_pilot_v111.png
2015-5-5
Use props
xsalmanx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2726519 ft
  • >>>
United States

@DJI, please post an updated RELEASE NOTES pdf for the new app.

Some initial findings:
1. Revamped interface
2. New “Director” app built-in
3. YouTube Live Streaming functionality
4. Unified settings (no longer need to open/close various settings screens)
5. New “Video Cache” allowing you to use with Director
6. Ability to choose between 2 options when RC signal is lost: a) return-to-home b) land
7. New option to “Turn on arm’s LED light”
8. New option to “Enable Vision Positioning System”
9. Satellite count in status bar

2015-5-5
Use props
imcoosen
lvl.3

Netherlands

xsalmanx@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-6 12:03
@DJI, please post an updated RELEASE NOTES pdf for the new app.

Some initial findings:

And at popular request the sat count is back!
2015-5-5
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pretty cool stuff

So where did they put compass calibration at?

2015-5-5
Use props
blackbox
lvl.3

Switzerland

Simple trick for compass calibration : flip the fly mode switch on RC several time (on the left if RC). It starts callibration. No need to dig in menu within the app!
2015-5-5
Use props
caddwizard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 453788780 ft
Australia

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-5-6 12:57
Pretty cool stuff

So where did they put compass calibration at?

I guess it's now just SENSORS found under the MC Settings.
2015-5-5
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

blackbox Posted at 2015-5-6 13:38
Simple trick for compass calibration : flip the fly mode switch on RC several time (on the left if R ...

You mean when you're on the ground switch between ATTI and GPS?
2015-5-5
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I like "Director APP" I guess live utube streaming means your internet has to be on on your tablet...interfering with your flight 2.4 ghz transmission???
i also like the NEW layout more logical!!
2015-5-6
Use props
fullyestablishe
lvl.2

United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-6 14:25

Yes, I believe that is the old school way of getting it to start a compass calibration. Personally I do not do them that often, If I have taken it in an aircraft I will do a recalibration. I guess DJI feel that one good calibration should be okay as long as one does not travel too far, and the risk of a dodgy calibration is higher.
2015-5-6
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

fullyestablishe Posted at 2015-5-6 16:17
Yes, I believe that is the old school way of getting it to start a compass calibration. Personally ...

Many of the earlier problems with aircraft had to do with "dodgy calibrations" effecting its directional stability . I guess DJi is not supporting compass calibration on each mission. (as some earlier checklists suggested)
new feature " Ability to choose between 2 options when RC signal is lost: a) return-to-home b) land"
2015-5-6
Use props
Skywolf007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2758875 ft
Slovakia

Where is the simulator?
2015-5-6
Use props
talenter
lvl.3
Flight distance : 125164 ft
Norway

The simulator, manuals etc. is under the Help menu!
2015-5-6
Use props
coolvictor
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Do you guys find Director useful??? I think it's too complicated to upload and share videos.
It might be much better to have a user profolio to display all (ready to share) videos.
2015-5-6
Use props
ei4jr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1890640 ft
Ireland

talenter@online Posted at 2015-5-6 16:52
The simulator, manuals etc. is under the Help menu!

Sally the simulator still has the small Google map BUG. Bottom right. Puts you thousands of miles away from your location.
2015-5-6
Use props
bruce
lvl.4
Flight distance : 65916168 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anyone get Live Streaming to work ?
2015-5-6
Use props
blackbox
lvl.3

Switzerland

Yes, the button that allows you to switch between F A and P modes.
Do it on the ground!
2015-5-6
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Phantoms and inspires have always had this manual way of putting the bird into compass calibration mode ,bird on ground , flip the flight mode switch back and fourth 6 times your bird is ready for calibration ... many guys thought you needed to recal every flight and some also doing a imu cal...
Just not nessasary and never was nessasary every time. Unless you travel 100 miles or more , you've crashed it , or got the compass close to a strong magnet , or upgraded the birds firmware.  On my inspire I've done three firmware upgrades three compass calibrations and three imu calibrations and one rc calibration without any problems holding the correct info whatsoever ,no flyaways ,no rc controller shutting off on its own ...
2015-5-6
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

fullyestablishe Posted at 2015-5-6 16:17
Yes, I believe that is the old school way of getting it to start a compass calibration. Personally ...

Not old school as the phantoms and inspires all were setup this way , from the start ! , the newer birds using  an iPad enabled a second way to initiate the compass calibration mode which really is not needed.
The flight mode switch method is all you needed and it's still all you need to recal the bird , the iPad's optional compass recal button feature is just an extra way to do it but not needed.
2015-5-6
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

blackbox Posted at 2015-5-6 22:39
Yes, the button that allows you to switch between F A and P modes.
Do it on the ground!

Thanks blackbox, great advice!
2015-5-6
Use props
bahamasky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3240535 ft
Bahamas

"Turn on arms led" is not working when the bird turns on it disappears. Anyone notice this or it's just me?
2015-5-6
Use props
jlivingston6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82556 ft
United States

The return to home box where you enter your value or height to fly back looses the number you entered when you turn off the Inspire or you iPad or iPhone. You start again and the return to home height is set to nothing. It does not hold the digit you entered. So before every flight you have to remember to enter a height number in the box or else when you press the return to home it will drop to zero height to return. Unless there is a default number not being displayed.
2015-5-6
Use props
CanD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4862615 ft
Germany

I upgraded the iOS App and the firmware which works now like a charm . The bird is flying so far good. I appreciate the all the bug fixes and the new layout. But I'm not happy with the new added feature:

- why do I need a shop in an pilot app?
- the director is constantly crashing on my iPad Air 2
- live streaming takes forever to setup even if I'm on LTE. With home wifi it has worked somewhat

Im my opinion useless features. I'd rather see the more important ones:

- IOC Homeloc, POI
- Groundstation

Some other still existing bugs:

- home diamond on external HDMI showing the correct homepoint
- iPad is still crashing mid-air even all other apps are closed and the iPad was rebooted
- setting dynamic homepoint has never worked for me because the GPS signal is weak on the remote controller while the Inspire has 20 satellites
- RTH height not preserved during update

All in all a good update, but keep the important feature coming.

2015-5-6
Use props
stephenfilm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 697500 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

arunmehta Posted at 2015-5-6 16:31
Many of the earlier problems with aircraft had to do with "dodgy calibrations" effecting its direct ...

After upgrading the firmware and the app I fired up the inspire in a different area to where I last flew and it immediately asked me to perform a compass calibration and something similar to the old calibrate compass screen popped up.  I did it and it then went away. I guess that it will now determine whether calibration is needed. It is a bit scary as once or twice I had strange behaviour..mainly flying suddenly to the right which I always fixed by calibrating the compass and I had gotten into the habit of always doing it before flying.  I am now not sure if I should continue doing it each time by the toggle flight mode method or just rely on the bird to let me know...  All was good however and no problems after flying three batteries.  Flight and camera seems rock solid.
2015-5-7
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

blackbox Posted at 2015-5-6 13:38
Simple trick for compass calibration : flip the fly mode switch on RC several time (on the left if R ...

I'm VERY curious . . . how did you figure this out?
2015-5-7
Use props
alex.lute
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1842592 ft
Netherlands

tap the "GPS Ready to Fly" text and there you go: Compass Calibration!
2015-5-7
Use props
blackbox
lvl.3

Switzerland

Acidsnow Posted at 2015-5-8 01:38
I'm VERY curious . . . how did you figure this out?

I think I read it on this forum... not sure, though.
But it works!
2015-5-7
Use props
kneverett
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I'm disappointed they spent time on a storefront built into my piloting app.  Like I really need to buy something mid flight?  And I can't switch over to my browser to get there?  Seems like very poor prioritization.

Same is true with the director app.  I suspect most of us can wait to get home in order to edit video.

As was stated earlier, I'd rather have way points and other flight or recording aids at this stage.  DJI is so bent on selling they risk letting the competition catch up on the truly useful functional abilities.
2015-5-7
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

Still no waypoints?  DAMMIT!!!!
2015-5-7
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

1 DJI new app update wipes failsafe setting for return home this is not good and massive liability to the pilot if they forget to set this upon start up each time .. What gives..

2 Overall status shows I need to update Cam air craft Rc and battery's..
However I did update and the files from rc and aircraft showed success .. What gives here too.
Man this is getting tiring as my craft flew great with the last firmware and app..

DJI please advise!
2015-5-7
Use props
Victor Wong
lvl.1
Hong Kong

CanD Posted at 2015-5-7 15:04
I upgraded the iOS App and the firmware which works now like a charm . The bird is flying so far goo ...

Do you think it is good to have a picked/latest content feed in APP? I think they should bring skypixel into DJI Pilot.
2015-5-7
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

What does "turn in LEDs" do?
2015-5-7
Use props
bahamasky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3240535 ft
Bahamas

tpallai Posted at 2015-5-8 11:16
What does "turn in LEDs" do?

It suppose to turn the lights on and off I think but the option disappears when the bird is turned on. Can someone please explain.
2015-5-8
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

bahamasky@me.co Posted at 2015-5-8 23:21
It suppose to turn the lights on and off I think but the option disappears when the bird is turned ...

But don't they always blink?
2015-5-8
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

Nothing new in the Google Play store for Android.
2015-5-8
Use props
CanD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4862615 ft
Germany

I did some more testing of the new pilot app and found that is crashing with every flight on my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 2, sometimes even two times. Usually I have the HDMI out still working so I fly with my goggles, but one time even HDMI was black. Thanks god that RTH was working.

@DJI: Please remove this fancy stuff and give us a stable pilot app. One that deserves the name.  Thank you
2015-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules