2487 25 2018-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jason WAI
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3136201 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I recently tried to upgrade the Mavic Pro Platinum to the latest  FW v01.04.0300.  After then, I finally experienced the Gimbal reset during mid air. Video recording was stopped and could not be resumed until landing. I think DJI should re-examine the latest firmware again. I’m using IPhone 7 plus,   encountered the gimbal problem only after this FW upgrade

2018-3-18
Use props
iFoxRomeo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1094856 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Within 1h30min of flight-time, I had this also happen to my MPP
2018-3-18
Use props
Jason WAI
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hopefully, I could manage to land it immediately.
What a terrible experience !  
2018-3-18
Use props
integer
First Officer
Flight distance : 113355784 ft
Greece

In my first flights i was have many times this problem. after some flights this problem solved by itself.

"Sorry for my English"
2018-3-18
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had the same issue... VERY scary because I thought the drone was crashing until I looked up. Recording stopped but had to land to get the recording working again. I instantly rolled back the FW to  v01.04.0100 and am staying right there until DJI removes their head from their backside. ~ I do NOT want to use my 1k$ drone to beta test without compensation!
I no longer trust DJI fw updates as they seem to affect different hardware revisions differently... some revisions have issues and others have none. Seems odd.
2018-3-18
Use props
Jason WAI
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-3-18 07:15
I had the same issue... VERY scary because I thought the drone was crashing until I looked up. Recording stopped but had to land to get the recording working again. I instantly rolled back the FW to  v01.04.0100 and am staying right there until DJI removes their head from their backside. ~ I do NOT want to use my 1k$ drone to beta test without compensation!
I no longer trust DJI fw updates as they seem to affect different hardware revisions differently... some revisions have issues and others have none. Seems odd.

Hope DJI would launch another new firmware upgrade soon to solve the problem.  It is really scary to have the gimbal reset during mid-air.  
2018-3-18
Use props
Jason WAI
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

integer Posted at 2018-3-18 06:37
In my first flights i was have many times this problem. after some flights this problem solved by itself.

After the gimbal-reset incident, I tried two more flights, flying similar location / altitude and doing similar jobs, switching between photo / video mode but I could not replicate the problem.  
2018-3-18
Use props
MBrown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 619790 ft
United States

Very interesting.  Another reason not to upgrade.
2018-3-18
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Jason WAI Posted at 2018-3-18 17:02
After the gimbal-reset incident, I tried two more flights, flying similar location / altitude and doing similar jobs, switching between photo / video mode but I could not replicate the problem.

Happened to me also. Gimbal reset and  stopped recording .Thought it was a compass calibration problem. From what I have read on the forum there could be a glitch in the latest update.

Hasn't happen since then and I have flown a lot after that mishap.
2018-3-18
Use props
Jason WAI
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

B1houdini Posted at 2018-3-18 20:18
Happened to me also. Gimbal reset and  stopped recording .Thought it was a compass calibration problem. From what I have read on the forum there could be a glitch in the latest update.

Hasn't happen since then and I have flown a lot after that mishap.

hope it would not be happened again, as you said.

I think DJI should take it more seriously for each new FW release. Better test it before launching.
2018-3-18
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Use DJI Assitant 2 and downgrade the FW on the AC and RC if you don't trust the current version. After I downgraded I did not have further problems with the gimble. Just flew 3 batteries back to back yesterday and had no issues.
2018-3-19
Use props
iFoxRomeo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1094856 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Here´s how it looked like on my "event". I hope noone gets seasick

2018-3-19
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9413 ft
United States

Jason WAI Posted at 2018-3-18 16:57
Hope DJI would launch another new firmware upgrade soon to solve the problem.  It is really scary to have the gimbal reset during mid-air.

I certainly wouldn't hold my breath... I and many other Mavic Pro owners have been living with this scary and dangerous bug for years now (just wait - eventually you will notice that the aircraft will sometimes move itself in jarring ways when this issue pops up) - and DJI won't even officially acknowledge it, let alone actually fix it.  

You can easily find 100 people across the various forums and social media platforms that have been complaining about this since the Mavic Pro was released - when DJI does chime in, it's always to have the unit sent in for "repair", only for the owner to get their unit back or a completely new unit back that still does the same thing..

Personally, I've now been sent 3 Mavic Pros by DJI - all of which have done this... I've also reproduced it on multiple others of friends/acquaintances.  

The leading theory that I've read is that recording at high settings causes a processor involved with video processing to quickly overheat - and that essentially the fix would be for this system to be redesigned with new more capable hardware, which of course would be very costly in terms of engineering, manufacturing and replacing all of the existing units to date - so they will instead continue to remain quiet on this, just trying to "address" the incidents that are complained about the most loudly (and that will simply be to send you another defective unit (because they likely all have this same hardware and eventual issue) until you just decide to live with it).

Best of luck to you in getting a satisfactory outcome on this!
2018-3-19
Use props
Jason WAI
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

iFoxRomeo Posted at 2018-3-19 04:56
Here´s how it looked like on my "event". I hope noone gets seasick

https://youtu.be/33Cr9EFu2vI

yes, it just looks like this one. Can anyone figure out what happened  ?
2018-3-19
Use props
Jason WAI
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-3-19 02:54
Use DJI Assitant 2 and downgrade the FW on the AC and RC if you don't trust the current version. After I downgraded I did not have further problems with the gimble. Just flew 3 batteries back to back yesterday and had no issues.

yes , i'm thinking the same , downgrade the FW to the previous stable version.
2018-3-19
Use props
Jay W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 259462 ft
Singapore

When the gimbal reset, did you lose control of the MP? I am wondering if that is what I am facing since mine also stopped recording mid flight and the MP just hovered there and refused to budge despite moving the sticks around.
2018-3-19
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

iFoxRomeo Posted at 2018-3-19 04:56
Here´s how it looked like on my "event". I hope noone gets seasick

https://youtu.be/33Cr9EFu2vI

Regardless of all else, this sure makes a case for maintaining visual line of sight.
2018-3-19
Use props
Jason WAI
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

MentalEcho Posted at 2018-3-19 05:19
I certainly wouldn't hold my breath... I and many other Mavic Pro owners have been living with this scary and dangerous bug for years now (just wait - eventually you will notice that the aircraft will sometimes move itself in jarring ways when this issue pops up) - and DJI won't even officially acknowledge it, let alone actually fix it.  

You can easily find 100 people across the various forums and social media platforms that have been complaining about this since the Mavic Pro was released - when DJI does chime in, it's always to have the unit sent in for "repair", only for the owner to get their unit back or a completely new unit back that still does the same thing..

I'm wondering if DJI aware the potential problems in their latest firmware. Hope DJI would officially acknowledge and fix the bugs soon
2018-3-19
Use props
Jason WAI
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-3-19 16:58
Regardless of all else, this sure makes a case for maintaining visual line of sight.

Sometimes, i send my mavic further. I can still see the mavic but it was already far away from the place it took off. I would just keep it high enough to clear obstacles.  If the Gimbal-Reset issue did happen at that moment , frankly, it would still look scary to me.  
2018-3-19
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
United States

I just checked my Mavic Pro.  I updated to that version of firmware awhile ago, and have not seen this problem.  So, perhaps it's just affecting the Air, or might it be the mobile device?
2018-3-19
Use props
Jason WAI
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-3-19 17:54
I just checked my Mavic Pro.  I updated to that version of firmware awhile ago, and have not seen this problem.  So, perhaps it's just affecting the Air, or might it be the mobile device?

I'm using iPhone 7 Plus or sometimes iPad pro with the latest IOS,  to fly with my Mavic Pro Platinum . The Gimbal-Reset problem happened once when I was using iPhone 7 Plus.
2018-3-19
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
United States

Jason WAI Posted at 2018-3-19 18:33
I'm using iPhone 7 Plus or sometimes iPad pro with the latest IOS,  to fly with my Mavic Pro Platinum . The Gimbal-Reset problem happened once when I was using iPhone 7 Plus.

OK.  Mine is an iPhone 8+.  So, perhaps the mobile device isn't the problem.  Are you using the cable that comes with the drone and plugs into the side of the remote (then to the phone)?  I had to swap that out with a good USB cable that plugs into the remote just underneath the iPhone.  If you're still using that original cable, you might try my method. I had problem with the supplied cable and have read others saying it's not a good cable.
2018-3-19
Use props
Jason WAI
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Jay W Posted at 2018-3-19 16:58
When the gimbal reset, did you lose control of the MP? I am wondering if that is what I am facing since mine also stopped recording mid flight and the MP just hovered there and refused to budge despite moving the sticks around.

As the camera was moving around itself , I'm not sure if I still have control at that moment. The recording was stopped and could not be resumed. As soon as it stayed calm a bit, I just tried my best to land it as soon as I can. After then, I had 2 more flights trying to replicate the situation but had no problem.
2018-3-19
Use props
Jay W
lvl.4
Singapore

Jason WAI Posted at 2018-3-19 20:25
As the camera was moving around itself , I'm not sure if I still have control at that moment. The recording was stopped and could not be resumed. As soon as it stayed calm a bit, I just tried my best to land it as soon as I can. After then, I had 2 more flights trying to replicate the situation but had no problem.

Yeah.. sounds familiar. I think I may have found what happened to mine too. My recording stopped and there was an SD error subsequently.

I think the gimbal cut off the recording suddenly without closing the file.
2018-3-19
Use props
Jason WAI
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Jay W Posted at 2018-3-19 21:17
Yeah.. sounds familiar. I think I may have found what happened to mine too. My recording stopped and there was an SD error subsequently.

I think the gimbal cut off the recording suddenly without closing the file.

yes , in deed it is possible. perhaps format the SD Card  again may be a good choice if errors were found on SD Card.
2018-3-20
Use props
Jay W
lvl.4
Malaysia

Yes, formatted the SDcard and it was aa good again. Initially I was thinking that it was the SDcard write speed that caused the drone to glitch (i was using the Sandisk Ultra 64G). But with your report, I think its probably the same firmware issue.
2018-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules