557 4 2018-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rfriend1979
New
Flight distance : 3520 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,

I have just got my first phantom and have been out filming at 2.3k at 50fps and have a pretty powerful Mac book pro but the video struggles to play when editing.

Should I be filming shorter clips and then merging them into a longer film?

Interested to hear if anyone else has this issue and how you work around it.

Thanks

Rich
2018-3-18
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Great question, Rich.  Since I got my drone, I've found that I'm having much more fun doing the videos that even the flying.  I'm doing tons of studying on videography and have learned a lot.  A few of the things I've read:
1.  Keep videos short - 2 to 3 minutes.
2.  Avoid or use very few transitions (mostly appropriate only when major changes in time or location).
3.  Keep your clips short - about 5 seconds
4.  We are very used to making mental jumps from scene to scene without any need for anything else.  Watch for that in movies or professional videos that you see.  It'll surprise you to notice how the pros follow rules 2 & 3 pretty much exclusively.  
5. Make very slow movements, especially when doing pans (putting your drone in "tripod mode" will help do this).
6.  Avoid fast forward.  Instead, just cut your clips to go from here to 200 yards up the road, for example.  
Hope this helps.  Looking forward to your videos.
2018-3-18
Use props
rfriend1979
New
United Kingdom

That’s really helpful and thanks for taking the time to respond. Those tips all make perfect sense so I look forwards to getting out there and shooting some videos as soon as the weather allows. Thanks again.
2018-3-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Videos should be presented as a kind of story to make them interesting. I'd day up to a minute for a quick fire video and up to 3 minutes for something more subtle and relaxing to watch. Music is vital too as is the subject your recording - whether thats an ancient castle, exotic beach or a trash can makes no difference as long as it's filmed right/cinematic.
2018-3-18
Use props
rfriend1979
New
United Kingdom

Thanks for the advice ;)
2018-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules