Drifting after auto-takeoff
1176 9 2018-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PHo3
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I was using my Phantom 3 standard in breezy conditions today, around 10-15 MPH winds. I did not have many satellite connections, so I put the drone in Atti Mode and used the Auto-takeoff feature. The drone took off but immediately started to drift, I understand that this was because it was in Atti Mode but I had no directional control of the drone whatsoever. I brought the drone down and it took a bit of a tumble but it appears to be fine. Does anyone have any idea why I may have lost control?
2018-3-18
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

first:If you take off in ATTI mode then the bird can´t hold the position without GPS support.
16-25 km/h wind is not the best but for a P3S not too fast. Did the system give you any message? Did the bird not react to your commands?
2018-3-18
Use props
PHo3
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Peterx Posted at 2018-3-18 11:57
first:If you take off in ATTI mode then the bird can´t hold the position without GPS support.
16-25 km/h wind is not the best but for a P3S not too fast. Did the system give you any message? Did the bird not react to your commands?

No warning messages came up on the app but the drone wasn’t moving when I tried to correct the drifting. I don’t know if that was because it couldn’t because of the wind, or the drone was not responding.
2018-3-18
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I believe you answered all of your questions yourself in the post.
2018-3-18
Use props
PHo3
lvl.1
United Kingdom

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-3-18 12:41
I believe you answered all of your questions yourself in the post.

Please refrain from commenting unless you have something worthwhile to say.
2018-3-18
Use props
flyhigh69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75079 ft

United States

HUH, it sounds like the wind was just a bit to strong to use atti mode. I mean, I wouldnt disarm my gps, which is helping me in windy conditions to obtain stability. I think maybe you didnt gun it enough to compinsate for the force of  wind.
2018-3-18
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

PHo3 Posted at 2018-3-18 12:28
No warning messages came up on the app but the drone wasn’t moving when I tried to correct the drifting. I don’t know if that was because it couldn’t because of the wind, or the drone was not responding.

The last was it. The wind was not only  the culprit.
2018-3-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, the drone will drift in ATTI mode even there is no wind. You may feel it is uncontrollable if the sticks input is less than the drift speed.
2018-3-19
Use props
Texas-Mark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23002 ft
United States

I would think that if the drone is only at take off hover altitude and close by, one would be able to see it trying to tilt to compensate as manual input is being given, even if it is not enough to correct for the wind.   And if the wind was that strong, it would have been drifting at a pretty quick rate.  The OPer implied it was not responding at all which makes me think something else was going on.
2018-3-19
Use props
flyhigh69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75079 ft

United States

Texas-Mark Posted at 2018-3-19 09:49
I would think that if the drone is only at take off hover altitude and close by, one would be able to see it trying to tilt to compensate as manual input is being given, even if it is not enough to correct for the wind.   And if the wind was that strong, it would have been drifting at a pretty quick rate.  The OPer implied it was not responding at all which makes me think something else was going on.

Any luck on the drifting? was it the controller? Or....
2018-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules