DJI drones maximum range
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

In general, I assume that all recent, off-the-shelf DJI drones from Phantom 4 Pro and up employs standard DJI radio communication technology and protocols, both for piloting and for video transmission. Therefore all of them (in theory) - without any modifications, signal boosters, software hacks etc. - should fly similar distances without losing control or video transmission. Right?  

Let me rephrase my doubtful thinking ... If an specimen of venerable Phantom 4 Pro flies 2 km away with no issue whatsoever, shall I expect Inspire 2 (with doubled compass/GPS receivers/IMU) to fly further at the same place and time? Shall I expect tremendously expensive M200 to fly even further than?

Yet another words: is the M200 communication/compass/GPS receiver/IMU system any better than the one used for Phantom 4?
2018-3-18
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Matthew, let me comment on your thoughts:

In general, I assume that all recent, off-the-shelf DJI drones from Phantom 4 Pro and up employs standard DJI radio communication technology and protocols, both for piloting and for video transmission. Therefore all of them (in theory) - without any modifications, signal boosters, software hacks etc. - should fly similar distances without losing control or video transmission. Right?  

Yes, but do they have all the same antennas in length, form and orientation? Do all TX units transmit with the same power (EIRP)? do all receivers have the same sensivity?
But in general, i'm with you, they should (in theory) all fly the distances documented in the specs.

If an specimen of venerable Phantom 4 Pro flies 2 km away with no issue whatsoever, shall I expect Inspire 2 (with doubled compass/GPS receivers/IMU) to fly further at the same place and time? Shall I expect tremendously expensive M200 to fly even further than?

No, why should it? See my first comment. In addition, redundant compass / GPS receivers / IMU have nothing to do with 'flying further'.

is the M200 communication/compass/GPS receiver/IMU system any better than the one used for Phantom 4?

This SHOULD be the case. But is it? I can not answer this question. With this expensive piece of aircraft, i expect this to be the case!

//K
edit: typo
2018-3-18
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Keule Posted at 2018-3-18 22:05
Matthew, let me comment on your thoughts:

All what you said makes perfect sense, yet I'm still not any closer to knowing the truth ...
2018-3-18
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-3-18 23:10
All what you said makes perfect sense, yet I'm still not any closer to knowing the truth  ...

What are your intentions?
I have read your stories about your faulty first M200. Now you have another one, which also is not 'perfect'..
2018-3-18
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Keule Posted at 2018-3-18 23:21
What are your intentions?
I have read your stories about your faulty first M200. Now you have another one, which also is not 'perfect'..

Oh, my intentions are very simple: to get radically better drone than all 3 I already own. Simple like that.
If I'm reasonably happy with my - say - Phantom 4 Pro with $2000 price tag, than I should be hysterically ecstatic about my M200 performance, considering rather hefty $6000 I paid for the bird alone. Shouldn't I? Would you accept a drone of this class with tendency to drift sideways when pushing throttle stick straight forward? Please correct me if I'm wrong ...
2018-3-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I'm afraid that it's hard to tell which is better in comparing Consumer, Professional and Enterprise drones from the certain aspect. As Keule mentioned, the redundant compass/GPS/IMU are not related to the range directly. You may feel the difference in practice.
2018-3-19
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-3-19 00:26
Oh, my intentions are very simple: to get radically better drone than all 3 I already own. Simple like that.
If I'm reasonably happy with my - say - Phantom 4 Pro with $2000 price tag, than I should be hysterically ecstatic about my M200 performance, considering rather hefty $6000 I paid for the bird alone. Shouldn't I? Would you accept a drone of this class with tendency to drift sideways when pushing throttle stick straight forward? Please correct me if I'm wrong ...

I agree totally!
Whenever i had these drifting behavior with either my Inspire 1 or the MavicPro, the problem were solved by simply calibrating the onboard compass.
I have a M200 aircraft too and, until now, i did not experience the drifting as you described. (knock on wood three times)
You need a definite statement from DJI or their enterprise dealer about the airworthiness of your craft.
2018-3-19
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-19 00:56
I'm afraid that it's hard to tell which is better in comparing Consumer, Professional and Enterprise drones from the certain aspect. As Keule mentioned, the redundant compass/GPS/IMU are not related to the range directly. You may feel the difference in practice.

Susan, with all do respect ... Why this is so hard to tell the difference? Matrice 600 Pro sports A3 technology with 3 (three) positioning devices, while standard M600 version has one only. What was the reason for such improvement? Does M200 have comparable flight controlling reliability? This has nothing to do with range, but compass and GPS performance is far more important in this class of DJI drones. Don't you agree?
2018-3-19
Use props
MichealMedia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 179026 ft

Money is the King, but that's not say the King will get everything.
2018-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules