new warning
1785 10 2018-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Epicdoom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340620 ft
United States

Was out flying the P3P today and got a warning that propulsion was limited to conserve battery health I was at 50% battery when I got the warning and it kept popping up all the way back to the landing spot at 30% battery. Is this something new or something to be concerned about??
2018-3-18
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
United States

I've flown colder then today this is the first time I've seen it, glad its not something bad lol  had zero issues today Brother I pulled the antennas off the RC and found the wiring inside bad right at the bend where they fold to stow away. repaired them, but I'm awaiting a DBS should be here this week coming.
2018-3-18
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

I don't think your antenna problem is related with the above warning message, the message is related to critical high power draw from the bat.
Guess the internal temperature has been high or your cell voltage has been close to a critical difference, the flight log migh tell you a little more info than the popup messages.

If it is the cell's that differ too much it might be worth to do the Deep Discharge cycle in order to attempt getting the cell's balanced again.
2018-3-19
Use props
iFoxRomeo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1094856 ft
  • >>>
Germany

How many cycles does your battery have? When was it manufactured?
2018-3-19
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

It has been a feature in the firmware for a while.  It is so that if a high current drain is detected, it reduces the load on the battery by slowing down and reducing power/speed.  This gives the battery a chance to recover and cool down sufficiently so that it won't be damaged.  It will resume its full capacity ability after a short time unless the condition occurs again.   It was introduced at a time when a few aircraft were shutting down due to being overloaded during cold weather flights, but it is not confined to the cold.  It also occurs if you are flying into a strong wind or carrying extra weight and high current is being drawn.  It is nothing to be alarmed about.  I am surprised you haven't encountered it until now, it has been around for a while (since 1.06 or so IIRC).
2018-3-19
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
United States

endotherm Posted at 2018-3-19 02:59
It has been a feature in the firmware for a while.  It is so that if a high current drain is detected, it reduces the load on the battery by slowing down and reducing power/speed.  This gives the battery a chance to recover and cool down sufficiently so that it won't be damaged.  It will resume its full capacity ability after a short time unless the condition occurs again.   It was introduced at a time when a few aircraft were shutting down due to being overloaded during cold weather flights, but it is not confined to the cold.  It also occurs if you are flying into a strong wind or carrying extra weight and high current is being drawn.  It is nothing to be alarmed about.  I am surprised you haven't encountered it until now, it has been around for a while (since 1.06 or so IIRC).

I was definitely flying back into a stiff wind so I bet that's why it happened. I don't fly in the wind normally and the forecast was for only 5mph I launched the drone and while aloft started feeling some pretty good gusts coming off the water where I was flying. I always check my battery in the app for balanced cells and full charge so I figured the battery was just fine when I got the message. I appreciate all the replies and now I know whats up next time I get the warning.
2018-3-19
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
United States

KedDK Posted at 2018-3-19 02:21
I don't think your antenna problem is related with the above warning message, the message is related to critical high power draw from the bat.
Guess the internal temperature has been high or your cell voltage has been close to a critical difference, the flight log migh tell you a little more info than the popup messages.

antenna issue was something else I had problems with in the past all cells showed equal in the app I always check before each flight the battery has 8 total cycles on it My guess was the wind I was flying back into I don't normally fly if there is more then 5 mph winds was definitely getting some good gusts yesterday coming off the water
2018-3-19
Use props
Archangel3356
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4655896 ft
United States

Something else to watch for if you have been flying with bad antennas is any damage that might have occurred to the finals on the transmitter. I have not been able to ever find out if the DJI remote controllers have some sort of protection built in if they sense a very high SWR on the transmitter. But have also never heard of anyone burning any finals out either.  Maybe someone from DJI could answer that.
2018-3-19
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
United States

Archangel3356 Posted at 2018-3-19 11:00
Something else to watch for if you have been flying with bad antennas is any damage that might have occurred to the finals on the transmitter. I have not been able to ever find out if the DJI remote controllers have some sort of protection built in if they sense a very high SWR on the transmitter. But have also never heard of anyone burning any finals out either.  Maybe someone from DJI could answer that.

I was thinking about that for sure as I have powered up other gear in the past forgetting to connect antennas and absolutely wasted some decent gear LOL I think what was happening is the wire broke inside but was still held in connection by the insulation for the most part, till I bumped things around causing the wires to separate a nano second and scrambling my screen. I work on electronics for my job and see this with fuses they Ohm out perfectly till a load is placed on then then they open up for a nano second causing the controllers to throw a code in turn shutting the system down. not exactly what was going on with My antennas but similar. I think this was the case because I was able to fly out good distance 10-12K out over the water and stay connected RC to AC for the most part. I got My DBS antenna today for it unfortunately I was sent the older style with a fixed mounting bracket I ordered the new style with a pivoting bracket so I have to wait a bit longer to get my set up back to 100% no big deal we are forecast to get snow and ice the next few days.
2018-3-19
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Epicdoom Posted at 2018-3-19 10:28
I was definitely flying back into a stiff wind so I bet that's why it happened. I don't fly in the wind normally and the forecast was for only 5mph I launched the drone and while aloft started feeling some pretty good gusts coming off the water where I was flying. I always check my battery in the app for balanced cells and full charge so I figured the battery was just fine when I got the message. I appreciate all the replies and now I know whats up next time I get the warning.

You were probably pretty fortunate that you got to feel the gusts coming in off the water (at the surface), while encountering them aloft where the aircraft was.  It is entirely possible for the wind to be greatly dissimilar at only a few feet separation.  I remember my first flight after this change was made to the firmware.  It was a beautiful calm day at the surface, and I was flying at 20-30ft over a large flat and featureless parcel of land.  As I brought the aircraft towards me, I got a slew of unfamiliar error messages of this type, along with sluggish performance and difficulty coming back home, to the point I was making no headway.  I had no choice but to land where it was and retrieve it on foot.  It was later apparent I had been fighting a 35mph wind, but there was absolutely no clue on the perfectly calm surface.  I was amazed that there could be such a difference in wind speed at such a small separation.
2018-3-20
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
United States

endotherm Posted at 2018-3-20 01:38
You were probably pretty fortunate that you got to feel the gusts coming in off the water (at the surface), while encountering them aloft where the aircraft was.  It is entirely possible for the wind to be greatly dissimilar at only a few feet separation.  I remember my first flight after this change was made to the firmware.  It was a beautiful calm day at the surface, and I was flying at 20-30ft over a large flat and featureless parcel of land.  As I brought the aircraft towards me, I got a slew of unfamiliar error messages of this type, along with sluggish performance and difficulty coming back home, to the point I was making no headway.  I had no choice but to land where it was and retrieve it on foot.  It was later apparent I had been fighting a 35mph wind, but there was absolutely no clue on the perfectly calm surface.  I was amazed that there could be such a difference in wind speed at such a small separation.

yep I'm an avid shooter and hunter and climbing Mountains to different altitudes most times proves to be much more wind aloft then at ground level. For that reason I carry a wind meter with me while out hunting and shooting. When I got to the spot I was flying from I was in the parking lot where cars and trees blocked much of the wind. I sent the bird out to chase down a Large ship and once I caught up to it I started making my way down to the waters edge and caught some pretty good gusts coming off the water crosswind to my flight position but as I followed the ship out of the harbor I would have been flying back into the wind a good bit approx. 45 Deg. into it. Had I went to the waters edge to launch the AC Id have felt the wind and probably would not have lifted off at all.
2018-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules