Hard landing (drone fail)
1767 19 2018-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Esterbanarias
New
Costa Rica

hi,

So I was flying my Mavic pro for the first time and I pulled the left stick downwards to land, the first time the drone did it perfectly but the second time it just went super fast to tue ground giving me a hell of a scare. I think Nothing happened to it but I don’t want that happening any more. Also I was all calibrated and flying at night.

Thanks

2018-3-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

VPS does not work in the dark. The drone couldn’t sense the ground upon landing in your case. This is all documented in the manual...
2018-3-19
Use props
Keule
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What was the surface you tried to land on?
Have you had downward vision sensors on?
Have you had the setting 'Landing protection' on?
2018-3-19
Use props
Esterbanarias
New
Costa Rica

A CW Posted at 2018-3-19 00:23
VPS does not work in the dark. The drone couldn’t sense the ground upon landing in your case. This is all documented in the manual...

Oh thanks my bad for not reading, hope everything is ok though
2018-3-19
Use props
Esterbanarias
New
Costa Rica

Keule Posted at 2018-3-19 00:23
What was the surface you tried to land on?
Have you had downward vision sensors on?
Have you had the setting 'Landing protection' on?

Yeah, it was just dark
2018-3-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I know it’s a tad boring but reading that manual explains everything you need to know about the drone, VPS included. Worth sitting down for an hour with a mug of coffee and start reading it through. You’ll probably discover features on your drone you don’t know you have too
2018-3-19
Use props
Esterbanarias
New
Costa Rica

A CW Posted at 2018-3-19 00:34
I know it’s a tad boring but reading that manual explains everything you need to know about the drone, VPS included. Worth sitting down for an hour with a mug of coffee and start reading it through. You’ll probably discover features on your drone you don’t know you have too

Thxs I will. So if everything is working ok I should stop worrying right? Just scared that I screwed uo
2018-3-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As long as there is no damage to the drone then everything should be OK. If it does that in daylight then I would be concerned
2018-3-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-3-19 00:34
I know it’s a tad boring but reading that manual explains everything you need to know about the drone, VPS included. Worth sitting down for an hour with a mug of coffee and start reading it through. You’ll probably discover features on your drone you don’t know you have too

"reading that manual explains everything you need to know about the drone, VPS included. Worth sitting down for an hour with a mug of coffee and start reading it through"

Piling on that suggestion.  
When people order their drones, before drone arrives, while waiting in pacing, drooling, tediously long anticipation, is perfect time to Read the Manual, and Re-Read the Manual.
2018-3-19
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Also freshen up a bit on the FAA regulations if you are in the USA. I think flying at night just might be a little no no.
After reviewing them you decide for yourself. ;)
2018-3-19
Use props
Esterbanarias
New
Costa Rica

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-3-19 07:11
Also freshen up a bit on the FAA regulations if you are in the USA. I think flying at night just might be a little no no.

Oh for sure but no I’m in central america
2018-3-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-19 07:06
"reading that manual explains everything you need to know about the drone, VPS included. Worth sitting down for an hour with a mug of coffee and start reading it through"

Piling on that suggestion.  

Agree with that!   
2018-3-19
Use props
burnham187
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Yeah flying in the dark the sensors will not work.  The good thing though is it tells you this on the screen as you get ready to take off.  I flew mine in the dark last night for the first time and it clearly tells you to be careful because the forward and downward sensors will not work.  
2018-3-19
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

If you plan to fly after dark there are landing light that can be attached to the MP.

I have 2 that strap on the MP but never tried them out.
2018-3-19
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Take it slow as long as possible - many factors you have not yet even imagined will pop up for you to learn about - going slow will reduce your risk during the initial phases - reading the manual will also help as will going through the tutorial videos. as acw and other said: the sensors do not work in the dark - so what happened is normal. hope your drone is ok
2018-3-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-3-19 07:11
Also freshen up a bit on the FAA regulations if you are in the USA. I think flying at night just might be a little no no.

" Also freshen up a bit on the FAA regulations if you are in the USA. I think flying at night just might be a little no no."

Ahhh, man come on!  
Congress doesn't go by laws they pass.  
Few if any of T.L.A. Federal Agencies obey the Law.
So why should We the People?
Power to the People!

(said with scarasm and lol)

2018-3-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-3-19 09:33
If you plan to fly after dark there are landing light that can be attached to the MP.

I have 2 that strap on the MP but never tried them out.

Here's what you need:

2018-3-19
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

You may be overreacting with the reaction time of the Mavic Pro and you should watch some YouTube videos to see if the other footage may be how your Mavic Pro is landing? It has a punch speed of 13 miles per hour and a descent speed of 8-9 miles per hour. Check to see how fast yours was coming down in the DJI GO 4 App replaying your flight and it will show you the speed. If you see anything over 10 miles per hour than I would be concerned, otherwise it's pretty normal operation of the Mavic Pro.
2018-3-19
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Esterbanarias Posted at 2018-3-19 07:16
Oh for sure but no I’m in central america

Did your drone function well? If not, please contact our support and start a case for further check: http://www.dji.com/support
2018-3-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Now that's a landing pad    
2018-3-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now