1555 18 2018-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheDon
Captain
Flight distance : 7951273 ft
  • >>>
Romania

As you all may know weather can be our best friend and also our worst enemy. Good guy DJI trusted me to test and produce some stunning material with its latest flying marvel the Mavic Air.In harsh weather conditions, you have to adapt, and you have to come up with something unique.I'm pretty sure all of you are interested in indoor flights and the Mavic Air is the perfect tool to get the job done. In this thread, you'll find some valuable information about the know-how, tips and tricks and how to avoid different dangerous situations you might face.
I had the crazy idea to bring my Mavic Air to the Ice rink and film and photograph a Hockey match.

So let's dive in... to be more precise let's slide in.
DJI_0005-4-2.jpg

Since with the standard package the Mavic Air comes with propeller guards included, it would be a sin to not to use them when flying indoors.

First rule: Analyze your surroundings and keep an eye on your drone all the time. Prop guards act as bumpers however I do not recommend hitting any kind of objects. When flying indoors in an arena, you have the possibility to film from different spots. The best way to keep an eye on your drone is to position yourself above your drone. In my particular situation, I choose to control the Mavic Air from the grandstand, having a spotter with you eases your work and gives you more confidence.

Errors you might face during your flight: Strong Interference: Because big halls and arenas have metallic structure strong interference warning might pop up. It's a normal thing as long as you have full control of your drone.

hoki.jpg

Good to know that when flying indoors you can not rely on GPS positioning! Mavic Air has a load of sensors but because Mavic Airs optical stabilization system relies only on good lighting conditions during my flight, I had some problems with short range of distance. To fly without boundaries I had to deactivate all vision positioning sensors this way the Mavic Air switched to ATTI mode.
Flying in ATTI mode needs some skills and I recommend only for those who are skilled and confident in controlling your drone in risky flights.

Note: I also tried to make a 360 sphere panorama which only works either and GPS mode or with the help of vision positioning system. You can not make panoramas in ATTI mode because your drone has to be stabilized during the panorama making process.

In my opinion the best way to show the power of 4K and 100mbit bitrate is to film sport events. As you might all know 100mbit bitrate is perfect to retain the quality of fast-moving scenes, with less artifacts.

Check out my short video shot with the Mavic Air and my Panasonic Gh5.

Let me know what you think! Feel free to ask questions!

2018-3-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice work!
2018-3-19
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

Thank you my friend!
2018-3-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome!
2018-3-19
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Great work especially in Atti Mode, I personally have a great work around for shooting indoors, I use a GPS Repeater, provides GPS Lock from outside brought inside, You must set your Fail safe & Command RTH to "Hover" should you happen to loose signal. Runs off most USB Phone chargers, I have used it 3 times so far, once in a Private Hanger (All Metal) worked flawlessly.

This one has 15M / 45FT cable from Receiver to Transmitter, usually sufficient to run it through a window or door. Like flying outside, inside.

GPS Repeater
2018-3-19
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-19 04:07
Great work especially in Atti Mode, I personally have a great work around for shooting indoors, I use a GPS Repeater, provides GPS Lock from outside brought inside, You must set your Fail safe & Command RTH to "Hover" should you happen to loose signal. Runs off most USB Phone chargers, I have used it 3 times so far, once in a Private Hanger (All Metal) worked flawlessly.

This one has 15M / 45FT cable from Receiver to Transmitter, usually sufficient to run it through a window or door. Like flying outside, inside.

Very good point and advice! Thank you for sharing!!!
2018-3-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Really great thread! Thanks for posting that
2018-3-19
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

A CW Posted at 2018-3-19 04:17
Really great thread! Thanks for posting that

Thank you! More to come
2018-3-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Look forward to it!
2018-3-19
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Look really great. I like the first picture.
2018-3-25
Use props
andy10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4585692 ft
  • >>>

Nice.
About ATTI - Air has only P and S modes. How to switch to ATTI?
2018-3-25
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

andy10 Posted at 2018-3-25 05:25
Nice.
About ATTI - Air has only P and S modes. How to switch to ATTI?

Thank you Andy. Regarding your question. You're right, Air has only two selectable flight modes P and S. But also ATTI mode is present which kicks in automatically. To be able to put your Mavic Air into ATTI mode you need to be indoors without GPS signal and VISION Positioning systems deactivated. Hope it helps ;)
2018-3-25
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-25 00:09
Look really great. I like the first picture.

Thank you very much! Glad you like it!
2018-3-25
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

flippen cool - outstanding post
2018-3-25
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-3-25 07:07
flippen cool - outstanding post

thank you very much!
2018-3-25
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Thanks for sharing
2018-3-25
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

My pleasure
2018-3-25
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Superb video.

Information on inside flying was very informative.
Most important Rule was #1. "Keep your eyes on the Drone"
2018-3-25
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

B1houdini Posted at 2018-3-25 11:24
Superb video.

Information on inside flying was very informative.

Thank you! I'm really glad you found it useful!
2018-3-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules