Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Gimbal tilting in wind
1366 19 2018-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dublinphantom
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1033222 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi. I have a small issue which I'm not really willing to send the drone off to get repaired as its not really worth it b ut if there's a fix for this I'd like to try.
Sometimes when I fly hard to the right and especially if there is a wind from the right, the gimbal tilts right over almost 90 degrees for a second. It looks frightening but I'm sort of used to it by now.
When taking shots on nice days and moving around slowly it's never an issue but I'd still like to fix it if possible. It seems the motor has a weak point when pushed from that side. I've attached a video. I flew this on purpose to make it do it so it's quite windy and I'm flying hard to the right against that wind.
Has anyone else ever experienced this? Its literally my only issue with the drone so I'm really not wanting to send it off in exchange for a refurbished one.
Thanks
2018-3-19
Use props
Dublinphantom
Second Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Gimbal tilting in wind

Hi. I have a small issue which I'm not really willing to send the drone off to get repaired as its not really worth it b ut if there's a fix for this I'd like to try.
Sometimes when I fly hard to the right and especially if there is a wind from the right, the gimbal tilts right over almost 90 degrees for a second. It looks frightening but I'm sort of used to it by now.
When taking shots on nice days and moving around slowly it's never an issue but I'd still like to fix it if possible. It seems the motor has a weak point when pushed from that side. I've attached a video. I flew this on purpose to make it do it so it's quite windy and I'm flying hard to the right against that wind.
Has anyone else ever experienced this? Its literally my only issue with the drone so I'm really not wanting to send it off in exchange for a refurbished one.
Thanks
2018-3-19
Use props
Dublinphantom
Second Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Sorry, here is the video of it doing it
2018-3-19
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Have you tried calibrating the gimbal?
2018-3-19
Use props
Dublinphantom
Second Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Yes I've tried that many times. It calibrates normally and in most situations works normally but occasionally in the right conditions still dies this. No idea why.
2018-3-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, may I know what's the current version of the aircraft firmware? Does the issue appear during the flight frequently? Please try to refresh the firmware, do an IMU and Gimbal Camera calibration to see whether it helps.
2018-3-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its an issue for sure, already mentioned it here but then all went quiet, no reply in 11 days
2018-3-19
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

This behavior was reported few times here since early days of Phantom 4. Thing is the gimbal motors can't deal with excessive forces during particularly aggressive flying sideways. I would bet you were flying in sport mode, right? Add some nasty wind blow and ... boom!  This will happen to any gimbal exposed to winds stronger than specified. There's no solution for this, I believe. Other than flying straight ahead, naturally ...
2018-3-19
Use props
Dublinphantom
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-19 20:22
Hi there, may I know what's the current version of the aircraft firmware? Does the issue appear during the flight frequently? Please try to refresh the firmware, do an IMU and Gimbal Camera calibration to see whether it helps.

Hi. its the most recent version. It has done this on all firmwares and after many calibrations of the IMU and Gimbal and compass etc etc. To me it just seems that it doesnt have the strength to hold against a wind from that side. On a calm day it will never happen and even on a windy day if I dont move to the right it wont happen either,
2018-3-20
Use props
Dublinphantom
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 2018-3-19 20:26
Its an issue for sure, already mentioned it here but then all went quiet, no reply in 11 days

I see that. Never got a fix either? I really dont want to send it in as I have had no other issues at all and it flies and works perfecly otherwise. I'd consider it if they chose to send the same drone back but that wont happen, so I dont mind living with it as it doesnt happen in calm weather. It just annoys me a bit considering the price of the machine.
2018-3-20
Use props
Dublinphantom
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-3-19 22:26
This behavior was reported few times here since early days of Phantom 4. Thing is the gimbal motors can't deal with excessive forces during particularly aggressive flying sideways. I would bet you were flying in sport mode, right? Add some nasty wind blow and ... boom!  This will happen to any gimbal exposed to winds stronger than specified. There's no solution for this, I believe. Other than flying straight ahead, naturally ...

It wasnt in sport mode but there was a stiff wind and I flew it sideways against that so yes your right there. But Like you say, during normal weather and usage, its not an issue buy very occasionally it happens and its a bit annoying. Other than that the bird works like a dream and has never had any other issues, so Im not willing to send it back based on that.
2018-3-20
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dublinphantom Posted at 2018-3-20 00:24
It wasnt in sport mode but there was a stiff wind and I flew it sideways against that so yes your right there. But Like you say, during normal weather and usage, its not an issue buy very occasionally it happens and its a bit annoying. Other than that the bird works like a dream and has never had any other issues, so Im not willing to send it back based on that.

If the aircraft tips far enough the gimbal goes limp.  I'm not sure if this is a flaw or by design?  You can see this for yourself if you power up the bird & tilt it by hand.  So, if you are flying sideways into a stiff breeze, it's possible it is tilting to the point the gimbal hits the "go limp" point.
2018-3-20
Use props
Dublinphantom
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Good point I might try that to see. If its just a design flaw then so be it, no big deal. Every machine has its flaws somewhere but if its a fault and may get worse over time then thats another issue, but for now I'll just live with it unless someone somewhere knows a home fix for it.
Thanks for the info guys
2018-3-20
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dublinphantom Posted at 2018-3-20 01:50
Good point I might try that to see. If its just a design flaw then so be it, no big deal. Every machine has its flaws somewhere but if its a fault and may get worse over time then thats another issue, but for now I'll just live with it unless someone somewhere knows a home fix for it.
Thanks for the info guys

Perhaps it's more of a safety feature rather than a flaw. As an over-current protection for the gimbal motors. Better going limp than burning out due to being overloaded.
2018-3-20
Use props
Dublinphantom
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

if it is, that would be good to know for sure. I'd be happy enough then
2018-3-20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just one question more then, why does it only ever do it one way, for me its turning  right, it never does it turning left and i have tried and tried and left is fine...
2018-3-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Dublinphantom Posted at 2018-3-20 00:15
Hi. its the most recent version. It has done this on all firmwares and after many calibrations of the IMU and Gimbal and compass etc etc. To me it just seems that it doesnt have the strength to hold against a wind from that side. On a calm day it will never happen and even on a windy day if I dont move to the right it wont happen either,

Received with thanks! I've forwarded this to engineers for review, will come back if there is an update.
2018-3-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Bashy Posted at 2018-3-19 20:26

Sorry for keeping you waiting. I've pushed Thor, he will come back and reply you soon.
2018-3-21
Use props
Dublinphantom
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-21 01:25
Received with thanks! I've forwarded this to engineers for review, will come back if there is an update.

Thanks Susan, look forward to the result
2018-3-21
Use props
jburkett
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Hi Dublinphantom , please contact dji service  for repairment
2018-3-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules