Tips to flying where cell coverage isn't available
547 5 2018-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc31a013c
New
United States

In a month I'll be traveling around Europe and plan to bring my Mavic. Any advice on flying when my cell phone won't have service. Is this a major issue? Can the maps be downloaded ahead of time so that my GPS has a map to work against? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
2018-3-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You can cache maps, you also don’t need cellular to fly, maps are something I use very little I can’t really see the benefit many people use them when Aircraft goes out of Los but it’s a lot simpler just to use your radar to get your bearings it’s a lot easier to read as well.
Enjoy your trip.
2018-3-19
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

as hallmark says - no need for cellular connection when flying, maps can be cached in advance - i also do not use maps really at all i don't think. what i do use sometimes, if my screen wipes out, is the green line in the maps feature which is simply the direct route home. if my screen is blurred and i want some orientation back to home then i point the tip of the red aircraft into the green line - that way i know i am pointing home.
2018-3-19
Use props
fansc31a013c
New
United States

Great tips guys. I was worried this would be a bit of a roadblock but it sounds like I should have no problem flying around there using my phone without internet. Thanks again!
2018-3-19
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

fansc31a013c Posted at 2018-3-19 12:12
Great tips guys. I was worried this would be a bit of a roadblock but it sounds like I should have no problem flying around there using my phone without internet. Thanks again!

Definitely no internet needed, I never fly with internet connection and do it very happily as the other pilots have witnessed above. :-)
2018-3-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Agree with 1#. There is no need to connect the internet when you flying. In addition to cache the map in advance, please make sure you have logged in your account in DJI GO App properly, keep the status and do not log out manually.
2018-3-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules