Calling all whizz kids
1589 12 2018-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Coxy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi Guys,
Just bought a secondhand Phantom 3 advanced. The seller has said it'll probably want updating. I've watched the tutorial and seems it can only be done with an SD card fitted.
Unless any of you whizz kids know differently??????
I have ordered an SD card and USB card reader anyway, so if it's not possible, I'll be able to do it when the card arrives.
You know how it is, new toy!! Just keen to get going
2018-3-19
Use props
FlanniganFlyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1146473 ft
United Kingdom

Yes you need to download the update file from DJI web page on you pc and copy to sd card then insert to the AC to form the update, that said if you have a minor short test flight and all is well then an update may bring problems, so as many say on these forums if it’s working why update, turn off auto updates on your mobile device that you’ll be using and internet excess, if it’s says update required then test if you have flight limitations, if so then you may need to do an update
2018-3-19
Use props
Coxy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

FlanniganFlyer Posted at 2018-3-19 13:06
Yes you need to download the update file from DJI web page on you pc and copy to sd card then insert to the AC to form the update, that said if you have a minor short test flight and all is well then an update may bring problems, so as many say on these forums if it’s working why update, turn off auto updates on your mobile device that you’ll be using and internet excess, if it’s says update required then test if you have flight limitations, if so then you may need to do an update

The machine was bought new from DJI direct when it was released as a new model, it has been in storage for two years unused, thats why he suggested an update
2018-3-19
Use props
FlanniganFlyer
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Coxy Posted at 2018-3-19 13:11
The machine was bought new from DJI direct when it was released as a new model, it has been in storage for two years unused, thats why he suggested an update

I would suggest the same as my first post, if it flies ok with no limitations then all’s well if flight is restricted then update is needed to lift those restrictions, I have had a P3A for 16 months now and just this last 4 months have had a couple of problems due to updates, but DJI have repaired these free of charge although the 1year warranty had expired, any update wheather APP AC or RC can cause you problems that other updates won’t fix, that’s  why I had to send my for repair
2018-3-19
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

See how it flies before you do anything.
2018-3-19
Use props
FlanniganFlyer
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Coxy Posted at 2018-3-19 13:11

I was religious with updates, and unfortunately it caused me grift but DJI came to my aid as they knew my product was just out of warranty and there updates caused the malfunctions on 2 occasions
2018-3-19
Use props
Coxy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-3-19 13:40
See how it flies before you do anything.

that seems to be the consensus, and exactly what I shall do
2018-3-19
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Always make sure your SD card is formatted before updating. Here is some information that you can download. Congrats on your new purchase: http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/p ... e_Guide_en_v1.4.pdf
2018-3-19
Use props
Coxy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI-Mark Posted at 2018-3-19 14:07
Always make sure your SD card is formatted before updating. Here is some information that you can download. Congrats on your new purchase: http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3/en/Firmware_Update_Guide_en_v1.4.pdf

thank you for the link. I'm a !st time pilot - I'm really looking forward to giving it a go
2018-3-19
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Coxy Posted at 2018-3-19 14:20
thank you for the link. I'm a !st time pilot - I'm really looking forward to giving it a go

The Phantom 3 Advanced is a great aircraft to learn on. You will get much of the basics down with this aircraft. The camera is also top notch. Enjoy your time flying.
2018-3-19
Use props
Coxy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I did some research and found the Phantom to be among the best, with all its safety sensors etc to start to learn on.
2018-3-19
Use props
Chris_A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6142 ft
United Kingdom

The only thing I would say about updating the AC and RC is to be patient, the AC update via SD card will take ~20 minutes (ensure you let it run until completion). Also, if you are new to DJI Phantoms, ensure you read the manuals until your eyes bleed (knowing your LED status' will assist you). The most important thing I have found is (and I'm new to this) is don't run before you can walk, i.e. set beginners mode on, this will give you a maximum range of 30m. Enjoy your drone.

Regards

Chris
2018-3-20
Use props
Coxy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks Chris
2018-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now