Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Odd behaviour Mavic Pro
781 18 2018-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jazzman172
lvl.1
Canada

Hi everyone,

About 10 minutes into a flight today my Mavic Pro started to pitch wildly and the camera went off and on. After about 45 white knuckle, heart pounding seconds, it stabilezed and I was able to regain control and fly it back. I thought that perhaps a bird had attacked it or a gust of wind caught it but it wasn't a windy day and it was only about 30m high. I received no wind warnings either. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

I'd like to examine the .dat file but I can't get DJI Assistant to ever display the files when in "Data Upload". It just spins and spins, and then, after a long while (20 minutes) just spins some more.

I'm afraid to fly it now it case it loses it's mind again.

I'm on firmware ver. V01.04.0300 and DJI Assistant is 1.2.
2018-3-19
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, Jazzman172, sorry to hear the issue that you have experienced. Have you checked the status of your drone? Try updating the firmware, calibrate the gimbal camera and check if there is an error message in the DJI GO4 app? Thanks!
2018-3-19
Use props
BudWalker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

You could try looking at the .DAT from the tablet which has some a subset of the data found on the AC .DAT. Look here

http://www.datfile.net/DatCon/retrieveV3DatfromTablet.html

to see how to retrieve the tablet .DAT.
2018-3-19
Use props
Jazzman172
lvl.1

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-3-19 19:30
Hi, Jazzman172, sorry to hear the issue that you have experienced. Have you checked the status of your drone? Try updating the firmware, calibrate the gimbal camera and check if there is an error message in the DJI GO4 app? Thanks!

I am on the latest version of the firmware and it subsequently flew error free.
2018-3-20
Use props
Jazzman172
lvl.1

BudWalker Posted at 2018-3-19 20:28
You could try looking at the .DAT from the tablet which has some a subset of the data found on the AC .DAT. Look here

http://www.datfile.net/DatCon/retrieveV3DatfromTablet.html

Thanks BudWalker. I was able to retrieve the flight data using the method you provided. Now I need to figure out how to read the contents of the file.
2018-3-20
Use props
BudWalker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jazzman172 Posted at 2018-3-20 04:45
Thanks BudWalker. I was able to retrieve the flight data using the method you provided. Now I need to figure out how to read the contents of the file.

http://www.datfile.net/index.html
2018-3-20
Use props
Jazzman172
lvl.1

BudWalker Posted at 2018-3-20 05:09
http://www.datfile.net/index.html

Thanks again BudWalker.
2018-3-20
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

Could it just be the camera/gimbal restarting?
Did you see mavic tilting in the air? Or is it just the video?
2018-3-20
Use props
Jazzman172
lvl.1
Canada

DJT_MVSP Posted at 2018-3-20 05:44
Could it just be the camera/gimbal restarting?
Did you see mavic tilting in the air? Or is it just the video?

The mavic was definitely tilting , unfortunately the camera cycled and stopped recording.
2018-3-20
Use props
Jazzman172
lvl.1
Canada

What is CellDeviation? Upon examining the log it goes from .007 to .01 during it's odd behaviour. Numerically, that seems like a significant difference but I don't know what that might mean to the Mavic's performance.
2018-3-20
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Jazzman172 Posted at 2018-3-20 05:51
What is CellDeviation? Upon examining the log it goes from .007 to .01 during it's odd behaviour. Numerically, that seems like a significant difference but I don't know what that might mean to the Mavic's performance.

Cell Deviation is the maximum (I  think) voltage difference between the 3 cells of the battery.  The smart battery attempts to balance the load among the cells and a voltage difference under load typically indicates the internal resistance differences in cells, indicating battery integrity (of sorts).

A transient elevation of CellDeviation could be cause by a temporary higher load demand, such as encounters with high wind (or maybe a bird), causing the motors to expend much more energy to maintain attitude and direction.

So I would say, in answer to your query, that the CellDeviation is a response, not a cause. 0..01 volt deviation is not indicative of battery problems that would cause erratic behavior.
2018-3-20
Use props
Jazzman172
lvl.1
Canada

Griffith Posted at 2018-3-20 06:47
Cell Deviation is the maximum (I  think) voltage difference between the 3 cells of the battery.  The smart battery attempts to balance the load among the cells and a voltage difference under load typically indicates the internal resistance differences in cells, indicating battery integrity (of sorts).

A transient elevation of CellDeviation could be cause by a temporary higher load demand, such as encounters with high wind (or maybe a bird), causing the motors to expend much more energy to maintain attitude and direction.

Thanks Griffith. Back to the proverbial drawing board I suppose.
2018-3-20
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like the gimble reset issue to me. It happened to me twice on the 0300 firmware and I rolled back to 0100 and it has not happened since. DJI does not do a good job testing so I have learned to test at low altitude and build trust slowly with each new version as I test; reporting the issues just leads to nay sayers so I just roll back and wait and watch several forums. I recommend you use DJI Assitant 2 and downgrade the RC and AC as it is most likely firmware related. (not saying 100% it is but that would be the most obvious.) Version 0300 produced a few errors for me that scared me enough to downgrade and stick with the "trusted" version that worked best with my MP; version 0100.
2018-3-20
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I suspect it was the gimbal which reset itself mid-flight. It happened to me, too.

Henry
2018-3-20
Use props
Jazzman172
lvl.1
Canada

Thanks Bob Brown and Henry M.Y.

Would a gimbal reset cause the A/C to roll? I didn't actually see it but the camera showed images that looked like it was rolling to the right. I was really concerned that it was going to crash but perhaps the bird was always only just hovering and it was the gimbal doing all of the weirdness. The camera cycled, opened the iris wide, and then, eventually, returned to normal.
This does sound like the best explanation. I just wish that the camera had not stopped recording when the weird behaviour hit.

2018-3-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sounds like a gimbal disconnect mid flight - quite common on older MP’s
2018-3-20
Use props
Jazzman172
lvl.1
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-3-20 08:43
Sounds like a gimbal disconnect mid flight - quite common on older MP’s

But I just bought mine!

Thanks for the feedback  A CW.
2018-3-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Google ‘when was my Mavic Pro made’ - get the SN from the drone and be prepared LOL... I bought a brand new sealed Mavic from Apple in November and the SN showed that it was made TEN MONTHS before I bought it - which was why the RC battery was on 0% out of the box and the flight battery haD swollen! Took it back for a full refund and bought the Platinum.  
2018-3-20
Use props
Jazzman172
lvl.1
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-3-20 08:51
Google ‘when was my Mavic Pro made’ - get the SN from the drone and be prepared LOL... I bought a brand new sealed Mavic from Apple in November and the SN showed that it was made TEN MONTHS before I bought it - which was why the RC battery was on 0% out of the box and the flight battery haD swollen! Took it back for a full refund and bought the Platinum.

LOL, ok, my naïveté showing (again). Thanks.
2018-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules