Do you need a cellular device to use the Litchi app.
2406 7 2018-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hurley171
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Im getting an ipad for my Pantom 4 pro and wanted to know if you need a cellular device for the Litchi app.
2018-3-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You don't need a cellular device to fly your Phantom regardless of the app you use.
Apple confuse people because they only provide a GPS unit in their cellular iPads while almost all Android devices have GPS.

The only things you need a GPS enabled tablet for is to:
   Do Follow-me flight
   Reset the homepoint in flight to wherever you have moved to.
Most users have probably never used either.
2018-3-20
Use props
hurley171
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-3-20 03:28
You don't need a cellular device to fly your Phantom regardless of the app you use.
Apple confuse people because they only provide a GPS unit in their cellular iPads while almost all Android devices have GPS.

Thanks for the information. My main concern was if the Litchi App itself needs the device GPS to do the Waypoints.
2018-3-20
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6411 ft

United States

hurley171 Posted at 2018-3-20 09:25
Thanks for the information. My main concern was if the Litchi App itself needs the device GPS to do the Waypoints.

You can setup your waypoints on the computer (Litchi Hub)  and use Google maps, download the map (offline use) to the tablet, download the mission from Litchi to run mission. All the info is on Litchi web site.
I use a iPad mini 4 wireless (dedicated) to my P3S.
2018-3-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

hurley171 Posted at 2018-3-20 09:25

Your Phantom has a perfectly good GPS receiver that it uses for all flight functions.
Having GPS in the tablet wouldn't be any help.
It would only show where the tablet is and that's not what the Phantom would need to fly a waypoint mission or anything else except the two exceptions I listed above.
2018-3-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 2018-3-20 13:17
Your Phantom has a perfectly good GPS receiver that it uses for all flight functions.
Having GPS in the tablet wouldn't be any help.
It would only show where the tablet is and that's not what the Phantom would need to fly a waypoint mission or anything else except the two exceptions I listed above.

Thanks. Very informative
2018-3-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14177772 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Amateur Droner Posted at 2018-3-20 13:10
You can setup your waypoints on the computer (Litchi Hub)  and use Google maps, download the map (offline use) to the tablet, download the mission from Litchi to run mission. All the info is on Litchi web site.
I use a iPad mini 4 wireless (dedicated) to my P3S.

Thats what I do and works just fine!
2018-3-20
Use props
hurley171
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AWESOME!!!!

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me. Off to purchase Litchi
2018-3-20
Use props