Repairs to My Phantom 4 Pro
1317 6 2018-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ed56
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3064 ft
Australia

I have sent my Phantom 4 Pro in for repair at DJI in Melbourne due to water damage and been waiting for a reply which arrived today by email, I was expecting a report from the shop describing what damage had been done and the work needed to be carried out to complete the repairs with appropiate costs involved. What I got back was as follows;
No warranty, pilot error. 1. The GPS signal was weak and the aircraft worked under Optical mode due to the weak GPS signal; 2. T=135.1 s, H=-2.4 m, the aircraft crashed into the water. Before the crash, the pilot pulled the Throttle down and moved the Elevator and Aileron leftwards. The drone crashed into the water when it was descending and flying to the left. Water damaged unit. 15 % off for a new unit and the old unit will not be returned.

The above is great and a lot of effort has gone into hilighting how it was operator error even to the point of what stick movments were carried out on the controller. I guess one would expect the same effort would go into itemising what parts are needed to carry out the repairs with cost assoiates with each part and include labour cost at the end to finnish the quote with a total amount. What I got;

No explanation as to what damage was done to my Phantom 4 Pro
Offered a 15% discount on a new Phantom 4 Pro
And by the way we will keep the old one.

I find the above very unprofessional.
They were happy to high light what the operator did worng which was never in dispute but a total lack of effort to provide propper detail so I can make an informed decision on what action to take.
Lets just get him to buy a new one for a 15% discount which amounts to $345 and the little snippit at the end is my unit will not be returned.
To say it is a discount is wrong. My unit was in the fresh water for seconds and the camera and gimble was never under water so I do not believe it would cost too much to carry out repairs but with out an itemised account how can I make an informed decision. My unit is has had less than 20hrs flight time and I guess would be a good unit to refurbish and onsell which makes me wonder.
Any comments would be welcome
Ed

2018-3-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Ed, I managed to get your case number via the forum info. As you mentioned above, the drone crashed into the water by the pilot error and I will not explain here anymore. For the watered drone, repair is not suggested as some external parts may be oxidized and performance cannot be ensured. Therefore, we offered the replacement with certain discount  for the flight safety. Hope this makes it clear. Feel free to contact us if there is any further question.
2018-3-20
Use props
Ed56
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-20 03:18
Hi Ed, I managed to get your case number via the forum info. As you mentioned above, the drone crashed into the water by the pilot error and I will not explain here anymore. For the watered drone, repair is not suggested as some external parts may be oxidized and performance cannot be ensured. Therefore, we offered the replacement with certain discount  for the flight safety. Hope this makes it clear. Feel free to contact us if there is any further question.

This reply does not make any sense to myself,
This tells me that you have not done a full diagnostic and just assumed issues which again is unprofessional. I need a full report on what is needed including parts and labor so I can make an informed decision on which direction I want to take. To say I will give 15% discount and keep your Phantom 4 is unacceptable.
Please Reply

2018-3-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Ed56 Posted at 2018-3-20 04:16
This reply does not make any sense to myself,
This tells me that you have not done a full diagnostic and just assumed issues which again is unprofessional. I need a full report on what is needed including parts and labor so I can make an informed decision on which direction I want to take. To say I will give 15% discount and keep your Phantom 4 is unacceptable.
Please Reply

I understand your frustration. This has been reported to the management for further assistance. They will take care of your case and contact you soon. We'll keep an eye on this as well.
2018-3-20
Use props
diverdown
lvl.1
United States

I'd like to have something clarified -- are they stating that they refuse to return your tangible property (the drone) to you? Or are they stating that you have the option of choosing between 1) their keeping the drone and you getting 15% off, or 2) they will return the drone, but you will get no discount? Option 1 is illegal under Australian law, and in violation of DJI's own policy: "WHEN RECEIVING SERVICE, DJI IS RESPONSIBLE FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE TO YOUR PRODUCT ONLY WHILE IT IS IN DJI'S POSSESSION". If you want your property back, and DJI is stating they will not return it, then you have suffered a loss and can recover damages. Just my .02.
2018-5-8
Use props
diverdown
lvl.1
United States

diverdown Posted at 2018-5-8 08:11
I'd like to have something clarified -- are they stating that they refuse to return your tangible property (the drone) to you? Or are they stating that you have the option of choosing between 1) their keeping the drone and you getting 15% off, or 2) they will return the drone, but you will get no discount? Option 1 is illegal under Australian law, and in violation of DJI's own policy: "WHEN RECEIVING SERVICE, DJI IS RESPONSIBLE FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE TO YOUR PRODUCT ONLY WHILE IT IS IN DJI'S POSSESSION". If you want your property back, and DJI is stating they will not return it, then you have suffered a loss and can recover damages. Just my .02.

I should note, though, that when I did my return there was a notice saying if I had it inspected/diagnosed that I'd incur the $165ish service charge (not counting repair costs), and if I didn't pay the diagnostic 165 fee, then they would keep the drone. If you're not being charged the service charge, then of course they wouldn't tell you exactly what's wrong with it. If you are paying the service charge, then they need to tell you precisely what is wrong with it. Sounds like if you opt to let them keep it, you're getting 15% off, PLUS not having to pay the $165ish. So, it's not as bad of a deal as you might have initially believed.
2018-5-8
Use props
Ed56
lvl.1
Australia

diverdown Posted at 2018-5-8 17:01
I should note, though, that when I did my return there was a notice saying if I had it inspected/diagnosed that I'd incur the $165ish service charge (not counting repair costs), and if I didn't pay the diagnostic 165 fee, then they would keep the drone. If you're not being charged the service charge, then of course they wouldn't tell you exactly what's wrong with it. If you are paying the service charge, then they need to tell you precisely what is wrong with it. Sounds like if you opt to let them keep it, you're getting 15% off, PLUS not having to pay the $165ish. So, it's not as bad of a deal as you might have initially believed.

Just to clarify
Options.

No repair was even considered
The two options were
1. A percentage off the price of another drone which may or may not be new but an equivalent so it could be a refurbished drone
2. Return my drone as is without any repairs being carried out.

The above makes me wonder if its a ploy to make you buy another drone with the so called discount and then refurbish yours to turn a profit and the reason I reach this conclusion is that I could not get a proper statement no matter how many times I asked as to what repairs are actually needed with a cost so I could make an informed decision. The only reply was that it was not the policy to repair a drone that had come into contact with water.
I decided to have my Phantom 4 pro returned to me as is in the end as I did not think the service policy was right.
The camera and gimbal on the drone still work so I still use it to film certain pieces as a carry around and I have bought another Phantom 4 pro to replace that one as I still think that are a good product but I think the company should revise its service  policy.
I would have paid for the diagnostic if it had been offered but that was never the case

2018-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules