12Next >
4879 52 2018-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
THhRNrq9ZvK8
lvl.2
Flight distance : 135689 ft
Germany

3 Days ago i made a flight in Thailand, near Krabi. Mavic was 200m away with 100m altitude, then i lost connection. Battery was on 67% at that moment. All around was Jungle and some
typical steep rocks.
All settings in the App where default.
Unfortunately, the mavic did not come back. In the track I saw that she was last marked in front of a rock. Later I went there and searched for two hours, but the jungle was too dense and I could not find it. In the drone was still a 128gb SD card. I am very sad that the wonderful drone has already lost after a week and also all the photos and videos of the two weeks holiday. My question to DJI, how can it be that the Mavic stopped in front of the mountain where I was higher before the connection lost. She should have come back in my opinion?
Can i buy only the drone? If yes, where?

2018-3-20
Use props
Raini
lvl.2
Germany

In this area she's crashed i suppose. I was on the other side of this rock, 70m away. Can't search more because i am back in Switzerland.
2018-3-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Raini Posted at 2018-3-20 03:56
In this area she's crashed i suppose. I was on the other side of this rock, 70m away. Can't search more because i am back in Switzerland.
[view_image]

You can put in your flight log here we might be able to see what happened or why it didn’t RTH.

Just click on link and follow instructions come back here and post your link.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-3-20
Use props
integer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 113355784 ft
Greece

Sorry for your loss. When you fly out the best option is enabled return to home
2018-3-20
Use props
Mountaindrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>
France

RIP young Mavic Air
2018-3-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sad story.
2018-3-20
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I am also very sorry to read this! Maybe the flightrecord can give some explanations.
2018-3-20
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

Sad to read and as mentioned, if you upload your logs it may be possible to ascertain what went wrong. However, looking at that picture, if you were on the other side of that big rock and 70m away, I can guess at why connection was lost. Thick rock and heavy vegetation are pretty good at absorbing WiFi. Looking at the logs will hopefully show what went wrong with RTH.
2018-3-20
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Loosing a drone is one, but also all the footage from a two week trip - that is so unfortunate! So sorry for you!
2018-3-20
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 891404 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I feel your pain. I've been there.
2018-3-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not a nice read - sorry to see that
2018-3-20
Use props
djiuser_EOLzwwb8KRNo
New
Flight distance : 75052 ft
United States

Did you have the disconnect setting changed to hover, or was it still set to return to home?  
2018-3-20
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

Is that rock less than 200 meters?  Hard to judge by distant eyesight.  Perhaps a tall tree caught the drone.  Disconnected because of the rock or trees in the signal path?  Nice Grom motorcycle.
2018-3-20
Use props
Ardenno
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1877910 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Maybe hit this rock when RTH?
2018-3-20
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

Sorry to hear about your loss.
2018-3-20
Use props
IceBox-Murdock
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43845 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wyke Posted at 2018-3-20 04:51
Sad to read and as mentioned, if you upload your logs it may be possible to ascertain what went wrong. However, looking at that picture, if you were on the other side of that big rock and 70m away, I can guess at why connection was lost. Thick rock and heavy vegetation are pretty good at absorbing WiFi. Looking at the logs will hopefully show what went wrong with RTH.

I agree. If you upload your flight logs then someone might be able to explain what happened. I am so sorry for your loss.
2018-3-20
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Damn that's a hard read, I too am sorry you lost your drone.
2018-3-20
Use props
Raini
lvl.2
Germany

Thank you for your participation! Here are the last dates I have from the Mavic Air before the loss. In my understanding, the mavic should have come back. Or what do you mean?
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/ACK265SO5NES5UDFQK16/

This is the start:

This is the last record:
2018-3-20
Use props
Raini
lvl.2
Germany

This was my position:
2018-3-20
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

Did you hit the autolanding feature instead of the return to home feature that is just below the autolanding icon?  I didn't see any problems crop up in the log.  It just started autolanding on the cliffs.
2018-3-20
Use props
Raini
lvl.2
Germany

Hmm, when i watch the video an log, it looks like this. But what i remember is that i had a connection lost. Then a popup appeared on the phone (in the middle of the display). As I recall it was the question of whether I want to go home automatically. I clicked on it.
2018-3-21
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

You probably hit Auto Landing and than when you where behind the mountain you lost connection with the aircraft. That's when the app stopped the log and you were still at 360 ft. The craft probably kept landing and stayed hovering above the trees until it ran out of batteries. Mountains and trees are wifi killers if they stand between you and the craft
2018-3-21
Use props
Kloo Gee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Raini Posted at 2018-3-20 22:25
Thank you for your participation! Here are the last dates I have from the Mavic Air before the loss. In my understanding, the mavic should have come back. Or what do you mean?
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/ACK265SO5NES5UDFQK16/

I'm sorry for your loss!  That was a beautiful area you were in, I can see why you wanted to try to capture it.  I really like the geometric pattern of the tree farm mixed in with the rugged and random natural environment.
2018-3-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-3-20 05:10
Loosing a drone is one, but also all the footage from a two week trip - that is so unfortunate! So sorry for you!

A good reason to have multiple cards, and swap at end of day.
2018-3-21
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Poland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-21 08:45
A good reason to have multiple cards, and swap at end of day.

Well you'd have to have a card for each day... seems a bit of a hassle.
2018-3-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Watching video and comparing it to where you were standing, it does not look like Rock / Vegetation got in way of Drone's Transmission.

In last few seconds, Drone appears to be descending, and looks like Drone might have landed on top of Rock.
2018-3-21
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

Raini Posted at 2018-3-21 00:04
Hmm, when i watch the video an log, it looks like this. But what i remember is that i had a connection lost. Then a popup appeared on the phone (in the middle of the display). As I recall it was the question of whether I want to go home automatically. I clicked on it.

If you lose connection, I don't see how it can ask if you want to RTH.  Odd, that it started down if you neer initiated RTH or landing.

Those icons are pretty close together and I never use RTH or autolanding.  I can't help but think it will try to land on a fence, tree, or rock.
2018-3-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-3-21 08:51

Not a card for every day of a trip.  A card for a couple of days, that is recycled.

When I was seriously into taking phots, I had several memory cards for camera.
Every evening, I would dump card(s) used that day to Laptop.
If I had several pictures I thought were great, I burned them to CD or DVD.

Let me throw this out.  If you take a vacation to some place that is costly to travel to/from, and expensive to stay at - isn't cost of a few extra cards worth it?   
2018-3-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Raini Posted at 2018-3-20 03:56
In this area she's crashed i suppose. I was on the other side of this rock, 70m away. Can't search more because i am back in Switzerland.
[view_image]

Having looked at your flight log and viewed your video, there are a couple of things, you say you lost signal this is reported nowhere in your log except during auto landing but for only 0.01 of a second.
So there was no problem with signal, when watching your video however it’s very clear that at the end of the video you can hear the beeping , this beeping is associated with 2 things operator pressing RTH or using app to slide RTH , or using the slide which is very similar to RTH slide to initiate auto Landing, auto landing is only initiated in two cases One is by the operator and the other is in critical battery landing which aircraft was not in, so is it possible that instead of hitting RTH you accidentally hit auto landing. You wouldn’t be the first to accidentally make this mistake.
If this was the case then only way to halt this is to use X on screen or pause button.
2018-3-21
Use props
Keule
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

After looking at your flight logs, i summarize the events as following:

There were no telemetry drops or timing gaps until the log stopped at 425,2 seconds.
I can not tell if you had video feed loss at that time.
In the final moments, no stick input (throttle, yaw, elevator, aileron) were recorded in the logs.
At 404,7s you stopped your gimbal down movement exact as seen in your second video.
At 409,9s the event 'AppAutoLanding' appeared.
That means, GO4 executed the command to land the aircraft. (@Gunship9 and @lomo2017 assumed already that the user pressed the 'land' button)
At 410,6s the aircraft started descending
At 425,2s log ends.
2018-3-21
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-3-20 23:32
Did you hit the autolanding feature instead of the return to home feature that is just below the autolanding icon?  I didn't see any problems crop up in the log.  It just started autolanding on the cliffs.

If the drone auto landed, assuming a perfect landing with no jarring, wouldn't the video feed continue?
I don't have the Air, just the MPro, so perhaps there is a different set of functions on landing.

On a more helpful note, I would be tempted to phone the Hub Café and ask if anyone is prepared to climb up the karst (OP called it a mountain). A copy of the video and a generous reward for safe return of drone and SD card would be a thing to try. The men in Thailand are very brave and resourceful.
2018-3-21
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Poland

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-3-21 10:30
More of a hassle than losing the entire trip's worth of photos & video?

You can just backup everyday in the evening No need for multiple cards.
2018-3-21
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Poland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-21 09:23
Not a card for every day of a trip.  A card for a couple of days, that is recycled.

When I was seriously into taking phots, I had several memory cards for camera.

Everything's worth it when you're in the situation of loosing it all. But the thing is here to browse all the option and select the one that suits you best.
2018-3-21
Use props
Tom_A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-3-21 08:51

I was thinking a HD with wifi card slot would be ideal for trips like this. Western Digital makes one, but the online reviews are a bit low, which makes me hesitate on purchasing one.
2018-3-21
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Poland

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-3-21 13:20
Sure you Can do that.  But if you capture some awesome photos & video on flights 1 through 3 of the day, then lose the bird on flight 4...

...there's always tomorrow!

Anything can happen! ;) You could change cards every flight and still loose your drone just before landing. All in all, just have to have a little bit of luck
2018-3-21
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Poland

Tom_A Posted at 2018-3-21 14:05
I was thinking a HD with wifi card slot would be ideal for trips like this. Western Digital makes one, but the online reviews are a bit low, which makes me hesitate on purchasing one.

True, an HD like that with auto backup could be one of the best solutions. Maybe other brands make them too?
2018-3-21
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-3-21 10:29
If the drone auto landed, assuming a perfect landing with no jarring, wouldn't the video feed continue?
I don't have the Air, just the MPro, so perhaps there is a different set of functions on landing.

The video would be fine until it lowered itself for landing behind dense trees or rocks.  1 ghz and higher can carry a lot of data on its wavelength but it is very prone to blockages versus VHF (30mhz-150mhz) or HF (2mhz to 30mhz).  
2018-3-21
Use props
Tom_A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-3-21 14:10
True, an HD like that with auto backup could be one of the best solutions. Maybe other brands make them too?

I have been looking. I think that Seagate makes one too. I have lost too much due to Seagate incompetence already to consider any of their solutions.
2018-3-21
Use props
Raini
lvl.2
Germany

You all are right, beginner errors...
I should have backed up after every flight. The problem was that I had a backup diskette where I can put the SD card and automatically copy the data. I tested this at home with a 64GB SD card. But then I bought a 128GB SD card before traveling and it seems that the backup disk does not support this size . So I had no chance to back up my data.

To the last video. It is recorded that the controller is beeping and it looks like the drone is about to land. But the drone still had visual contact with me and it is still many feet above the rock. Nevertheless, the connection breaks off before it was behind the rock.

My email is placed on the drone. Maybe someday somebody will send me the SD card .
I have little hope for the drone. In the region it often rains very heavily and the humidity is high. It will oxidize quickly ..

Thanks for help guys!
I hope now DJI helps me with a good offer. Let's see..
2018-3-22
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I think DJI should re-arrange the 2 buttons , RTH and Autolanding. One left up and one right bottom on the screen.
2018-3-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules