Poll: MA vs MPP, the usual dilemma: opinions from owners needed!
921 16 2018-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Entropia666
lvl.3
Flight distance : 249088 ft
France

Hi all,
there are some deals on Gearbest.com for Mavic Pro Platinum (783€) and Mavic Air (652€), so I'm wondering whether I should go for one of them.
Both drones fit more or less my requirements, I'm a decent pilot (custom builto drone and racing drone) but I've never owned a DJI drone.

My current thoughts:
- Portability, which seems fine on MPP, is even better on Air --> not a major point for me
- Noise --> I do like the noise reduction on MPP, no to attract attention.
- Camera --> It looks like the Air one is better, but how much? Any feedback from you guys?
- Flight time --> more is better, of course, but I'm used to short flights anyway, with the extra money I could buy a couple of additional batteries for the Air
- Ocusync --> I do not plan to fly long range a lot, but I do want a stable connection within 1km maximum, and I read bad things about the Air wifi connection

So it looks like, for me, the MPP would be the winner, but the big unknown for me is the camera quality:
- the platinum camera has just a problem of finding the correct color tuning or is it just worse?
- is the 100mbps vs 60 mbps a real visible difference?

Last question: given that I want to buy something before June, would you wait further for MP2? I would probably not buy it anyway if it's in the 1.3k price range, nonetheless the other products may lower the prices...

Thanks a lot guys for your patience!
Single SelectVote, Total 26 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

23.08% (6)
61.54% (16)
15.38% (4)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-3-20
Use props
ImTravis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109734 ft
United States

I think it's a personal preference. The MPP has a good camera (I think it's close enough to MA for most things). I got the MA for portability, and it has a few different quick shots. Plus being able to act like a Jedi to take off/fly/shoot/land is kinda fun.
2018-3-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Having thought about this, I think both are great Aircraft there are very few differences but some very important ones and you seem to already know what these are.

There is however a great deal going now on Mavic Pro combo and the value for money is exceptional you will get a great flying photography platform and I believe no other drone will give you this value for money right now.

With MavAir you will get the latest technology, would you regret not having this , that’s a decision you will have to make.

Mavic2 will be in 1.3k I believe plus you may have to add extra batteries etc etc
2018-3-20
Use props
Axeli
Second Officer
Flight distance : 339416 ft
Czechia

I wouldn't buy MP for his awfully exposed gimbal/camera and that cover. You have more room for editing with 100Mbps bit-rate and yes, you can tell - here is a good comparison video   I wouldn't wait for MP2, there aren't even solid rumors yet....you could wait forever..
2018-3-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Maybe consider MP too.
Better value for money compared to the MPP.
Unless you 'need' the 3 minutes more flight time and more quiet engines (the props will work on the MP too)
2018-3-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Given that the MPP fly more combo is currently £1,459 (official RRP set by DJI at time of writing) an MP2 FMC will be more than that for sure and if it does have DJI's first H.265 codec with a 1" 20MP sensor (to replicate the P4P) on a personal drone that folds up with even more of the latest tech - it will be priced more around the P4P point in the market - probably £1500 for a basic kit and nearer 2 grand for a FMC - will be interesting to see if they use the MP2 to elevate the Mavic Pro into the true prosumer class of drones as the Inspire 2 elevated that class to true professional.
If not, then it will be around the same price as the MPP but with little improvements that I for one won't buy. When it will be released is also very subjective - rumours started with March this year - still no announcement from DJI so that wasn't true.
As for MA or MP/P - OcuSync, quieter motors and longer flight time is why I will not sell my MPP but the MA is a nice new addition that may suit your needs more given the increased frame rates and MBPS in a more compact design that costs less than a grand.
2018-3-20
Use props
Entropia666
lvl.3
France

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-20 10:32
Having thought about this, I think both are great Aircraft there are very few differences but some very important ones and you seem to already know what these are.

There is however a great deal going now on Mavic Pro combo and the value for money is exceptional you will get a great flying photography platform and I believe no other drone will give you this value for money right now.

Where is the deal on the Mavic Pro Combo?
Thanks
2018-3-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Entropia666 Posted at 2018-3-20 11:28
Where is the deal on the Mavic Pro Combo?
Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/DJI-CP-PT ... /dp/B01LZWGS9L?th=1

It’s $999 here on amazon.
2018-3-20
Use props
Entropia666
lvl.3
France

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-20 11:42
https://www.amazon.com/DJI-CP-PT-000500-Mavic-Pro/dp/B01LZWGS9L?th=1

It’s $999 here on amazon.

I live in Europe though
2018-3-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Oh sorry , although I’ve seen some on eBay for €1099, check it out. Think it’s €1299 on dji Store .
2018-3-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI on line store has dropped the price on the original MP FMC from £1,359 to £1,149 and the standard kit to £899.
2018-3-20
Use props
dwainwayne28
lvl.4
Flight distance : 583323 ft
Trinidad and Tobago

They're both great drones with MA having better frame rates. MPP offers a little longer flight time, Ocusync and a bit more stealth.
2018-3-20
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Personally I like the range and flight time of the MPP - the camera is the weak point - but still with a bit of care to be shooting in adequate light and those magic settings ... it's workable for my needs. I'd still buy it again over the Air as for me the Air is really a Spark Pro ...! No doubt I'll be looking at the MP2 later in the year (September time) when it gets launched. [The March release was just a spoiler on the Autel Evo in my view.]
2018-3-20
Use props
Entropia666
lvl.3
France

I just bought the Platinum. After watching some camera comparison video, I realised I'm probably not able to make any difference and the other features I like are on the Platinum. Also the deal on the Mavic Air is over so that pushed the balance even more!
Now I hope it will arrive soon and safe. Any suggestions for checks once it arrives to verify everything it's ok?
Thanks everyone!
Michele
2018-3-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Entropia666 Posted at 2018-3-20 13:39
I just bought the Platinum. After watching some camera comparison video, I realised I'm probably not able to make any difference and the other features I like are on the Platinum. Also the deal on the Mavic Air is over so that pushed the balance even more!
Now I hope it will arrive soon and safe. Any suggestions for checks once it arrives to verify everything it's ok?
Thanks everyone!

Hey good choice I’m sure you will get great enjoyment for a long time. Read the manual and then read it again, just make sure all stickers are on, take your time setting up make sure all FW for remote battery and aircraft are carried out correctly.

Good Luck..
2018-3-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Entropia666 Posted at 2018-3-20 13:39
I just bought the Platinum. After watching some camera comparison video, I realised I'm probably not able to make any difference and the other features I like are on the Platinum. Also the deal on the Mavic Air is over so that pushed the balance even more!
Now I hope it will arrive soon and safe. Any suggestions for checks once it arrives to verify everything it's ok?
Thanks everyone!

Well done - good choice but then they all are.
Charge the RC and batteries to 100% too before turning them on!
2018-3-20
Use props
Entropia666
lvl.3

For the record, I'm very happy, for the moment, of the machine! Had already 2 hours of flight
Thanks for the suggestions guys!
2018-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules