Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Gimbal regularly goes non-level. Might level itself later in flight. What to do?
1959 16 2015-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FantomDK
Second Officer

Denmark

I am experiencing an annoying problem that I have also noticed is prevalent in many videos and photos posted by P3-owners.

Often the horizon become non-level. It will be be stable - but tilted. It is highly annoying. Is there a fix - or a fix when in air to reset it? Often it will fix itself for a while when flying around.

I have tried doing a quick 360 and felt that sometimes reset it to be level. But that is by no means a sure fix.

This is a serious issue because footage can easily be unusable (can be corrected but at a image quality-loss - and it can be difficult because the tilt will grow worse or decrease while filming).

Hope to hear if other people experience the same problem. If there is a workaround or fix.

It would also be great to hear from DJI regarding this problem.

-
Buy your DJI-gear, batteries, cases by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-6
Use props
brett_rose
New

United States

I am experiencing similar issues with my P2 Vision +.
I read an IMU recalibration may help. I'm planning on hooking up to PC today and try this. I'll post results, but concerning that this is an issue with the P3 as well.
2015-5-6
Use props
username0099478
Second Officer

United States

Ive found that in the pilot app settings there is an option to calibrate the gimbal as well as manually set the tilt. hope that helps.
2015-5-6
Use props
shayd93
lvl.4
Flight distance : 247306 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the very same problem, it's tilted slightly to the right, Calibration doesn't do  anything
2015-5-6
Use props
FantomDK
Second Officer

Denmark

The problem with calibration, IMU-calibration etc. is, that even though it might start level, it will not take turning around the quadcopter more than a few times before the unleveled horizon reappears.

The P2V+ also have/had it to a certain degree. I just feel it seems not fixed, but exaggerated in the Phantom3.

DJI must know and have noticed this - and have some thoughts about it? Plans to fix it? Workarounds?
2015-5-6
Use props
jwhite
lvl.1

United States

Did you ever find a fix for this? Noticed the same issue on all my P3 footage from today as well.
2015-5-6
Use props
FantomDK
Second Officer

Denmark

jwhite@schillin Posted at 2015-5-7 05:25
Did you ever find a fix for this? Noticed the same issue on all my P3 footage from today as well.

Sadly, not yet.

I have a suspicion that it especially comes when hovering and the Phantom is fighting the wind to hold position. That puts the Phantom in a tilted position. When you then start rotating/panning, it rotates around this tilted axis (if that makes sense) and then the camera is not level with the horizon (I think it will "go back" to the original tilt if you rotate 360 degrees (will need to do some further testing to see if this theory is correct).

When you rotate while the Phantom is GPS-holding and fighting the wind, the gimbal would naturally need to take this tilt into account, but I suspect it might not? I wonder if the problem occurs in ATTI-mode - because in that mode the Phantom should stay level and not tilt up against the wind.

Hoping people will chime in with solutions or workarounds.

Would also be great to hear what the DJI-folks on the board thinks?
2015-5-6
Use props
FantomDK
Second Officer

Denmark

I might have a work-around or at least something to try. I've not yet completely tested it.

Switching to FPV (where the camera tilts as if it was an airplane turning) and then back to "FOLLOW" mode is a way to "reset it".

Give it a try. If anyone has more thoughts, please share.
2015-5-7
Use props
FantomDK
Second Officer

Denmark

Bumping. Anyone have move experience dealing with the issue of the horizon sometimes being tilted?

I do feel the problem has been a lot less visible the last few flights for me. Could be the result of full IMU-calibration (+ gimbal calibration).
2015-5-8
Use props
imwhitey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1921493 ft
  • >>>
United States

Having issues with the horizon on my P3 as well. Haven't tried a gimbal calibration yet.
2015-5-8
Use props
FantomDK
Second Officer

Denmark

imwhitey Posted at 2015-5-8 20:37
Having issues with the horizon on my P3 as well. Haven't tried a gimbal calibration yet.

Did you try the full IMU calibration? (not even if it checks and says it does not need calibrating)?

I don't know if it helps. But worth a try.
2015-5-8
Use props
Michael Starley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

Good call FantomDK...Do the Advanced IMU Calibration.(After Leveling The Surafce Under The Quad).Any calibrations that it will allow you to do to the IMU ,...hit'em .Takes some time but well worth it.If you have not done so already,check to see if there is an update for the gimbal,..by chance..It's a long shot but can't hurt to check.
2015-5-8
Use props
bomberuk
First Officer
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

i have the same problem to,what i do is go into the gimbal settings and adjust the gimbal roll by a few minus entries it levels it out but its a pain having to do it every time i fly,
2015-5-8
Use props
bomberuk
First Officer
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

i have the same problem to,what i do is go into the gimbal settings and adjust the gimbal roll by a few minus entries it levels it out but its a pain having to do it every time i fly,
2015-5-8
Use props
FantomDK
Second Officer

Denmark

bomberuk Posted at 2015-5-9 00:40
i have the same problem to,what i do is go into the gimbal settings and adjust the gimbal roll by a  ...

Yes, you shouldn't have to do that. And you shouldn't do that.

I think that tilt might be useful if you WANT to have a tilt. Not to fix a tilt you don't want.

It should level itself by itself. But it needs to be properly calibrated.

AND read above about the workaround I suggest - trying ATTI mode and going back to GPS. Switching the FPV move (where the camera tilts when you bank/go left, like an airplane) and back to "Follow" mode which is the standard levelized mode.

Good luck. Please tell us of your experiences.
2015-5-8
Use props
imwhitey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1921493 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did a full IMU calibration today and all seems to be well now
2015-5-8
Use props
FantomDK
Second Officer

Denmark

imwhitey Posted at 2015-5-9 11:03
Did a full IMU calibration today and all seems to be well now

Sweet!

Sadly I am still seeing it. But it did help IMU-calibrating, but not completely.

Toggling the FPV/FOLLOW and toggling Camera Up/Down (Straight down / Level dead ahead) seems to sometimes be able to reset it (while in air).
2015-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules