Remote Control Battery Charging Fixed!!!
10501 20 2018-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans3f8bc9f2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 624954 ft
United States

I purchased a Phantom 4 over two years ago and took a lot of amazing video and pics. I had it off the coast and flew it behind some trees. That was the last time I ever saw it. So I purchased another over a year and a half ago. It has been great and no issues at all. Then the firmware update came at the beginning of the month. I then noticed my remote not charging as it did and it would not last very long. No problem, I had another remote. I charged it and linked it to the drone. It needed the firmware update. So I did it. And the same issue! It would charge erratically and would not last. Both controllers now were not working. I got online and saw all the issues everyone else was having. I chatted with DJI, "send your remotes in for repair", was the answer. I tried to explain that it must be a firmware issue and not an issue with "two" remotes at the same time doing the exact same thing. I spoke with a rep from DJI, "send the remotes in for repair". I tried again to explain the circumstances but always the same answer.

So I tried to roll back the firmware. Several times on both remotes. Still no fix.

I saw a YouTube video of a person that took the controller apart, heated up the board, and fixed his issue. I had nothing to loose. Both remotes were out of warranty. So I took my old remote apart. Those black plastic clips that hold the ribbon connection are very, very delicate. Be careful flipping them up. Take the time to watch him do it so you really understand. Ask me why!! Follow along and do what he says. I only had a heat gun to use. I set it at 500°f and kept heating up the area around the charging post and where the battery connects. I did this and checked it several times. No fix! So I really put some heat to it. I could smell hot plastic. Let it cool and the first time I plugged in the battery and hit the button to start, all 4 lights were on. I carefully assembled the unit and it works perfectly. Even with the firmware upgrade.

So I did it to the second remote and fixed it also!

I am sure DJI understands what the problem is. They must have had thousands of remotes come back to them. Hopefully they will step up and get a fix for consumers that purchased their equipment. I am just guessing there is something in the firmware updates that changes how the batteries are monitored? Or just dumb luck both of mine bit the dirt within a half hour of each other?

Just FYI. COME ON DJI STEP UP AND FIX YOUR MANUFACTURING ISSUE!

2018-3-20
Use props
rchan
lvl.1
United States

Remote Control Battery Charging Fixed!

I purchased a Phantom 4 over two years ago and took a lot of amazing video and pics. I had it off the coast and flew it behind some trees. That was the last time I ever saw it. So I purchased another over a year and a half ago. It has been great and no issues at all. Then the firmware update came at the beginning of the month. I then noticed my remote not charging as it did and it would not last very long. No problem, I had another remote. I charged it and linked it to the drone. It needed the firmware update. So I did it. And the same issue! It would charge erratically and would not last. Both controllers now were not working. I got online and saw all the issues everyone else was having. I chatted with DJI, "send your remotes in for repair", was the answer. I tried to explain that it must be a firmware issue and not an issue with "two" remotes at the same time doing the exact same thing. I spoke with a rep from DJI, "send the remotes in for repair". I tried again to explain the circumstances but always the same answer.

So I tried to roll back the firmware. Several times on both remotes. Still no fix.

I saw a YouTube video of a person that took the controller apart, heated up the board, and fixed his issue. I had nothing to loose. Both remotes were out of warranty. So I took my old remote apart. Those black plastic clips that hold the ribbon connection are very, very delicate. Be careful flipping them up. Take the time to watch him do it so you really understand. Ask me why!! Follow along and do what he says. I only had a heat gun to use. I set it at 500°f and kept heating up the area around the charging post and where the battery connects. I did this and checked it several times. No fix! So I really put some heat to it. I could smell hot plastic. Let it cool and the first time I plugged in the battery and hit the button to start, all 4 lights were on. I carefully assembled the unit and it works perfectly. Even with the firmware upgrade.

So I did it to the second remote and fixed it also!

I am sure DJI understands what the problem is. They must have had thousands of remotes come back to them. Hopefully they will step up and get a fix for consumers that purchased their equipment. I am just guessing there is something in the firmware updates that changes how the batteries are monitored? Or just dumb luck both of mine bit the dirt within a half hour of each other?

Just FYI. COME ON DJI STEP UP AND FIX YOUR MANUFACTURING ISSUE!

2018-3-20
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Excelent information thank you
2018-3-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

That is an apalling way to try and fix a fault. 500 degrees is far to hot, you are lucky you did not fry other components. I certainly would not suggest this method to anyone.
2018-3-20
Use props
rchan
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-3-20 14:17
That is an apalling way to try and fix a fault. 500 degrees is far to hot, you are lucky you did not fry other components. I certainly would not suggest this method to anyone.

It doesn't mean I heated it to 500°. The board would have melted. You can call it appalling, but I was flying my drone tonight instead of packaging the RC off  to DJI for who knows how long. I wasn't out anything trying. But I agree, don't try this unless you are willing to purchase new stuff.
2018-3-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Anyway, nice to know you have figured this issue out. If the unit is in warranty period, it is not suggested to take apart at your end which may void the warranty. Hope for your understanding.
2018-3-20
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

OK interesting and informative and possibly useful if your RC craps out on you in this manner...
However, what I still don't truly understand is what exactly was wrong...you heat up the board, possibly melt some solder and it possibly reforms in a better circuit/connection...OK, so if that is what is truly the problem then you are saying the underlying issue is DJI is putting out product with faulty solder jobs or without very good QA/QC processes in place (not surprised by that either).  Yet, if you are not correct then what, as there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to the solution just blast about 250 degrees of heat in this general area here then over here and on this spot and great it works.  Did the plastic change causing the fix, did something inside the connector change causing it to start working exactly what and where was the problem?  I have no dispute that this procedure seemed to work, for more than one person, but there does not appear to be any specific approach to said fix...for some who are not electronics savvy using this fix process they could end up with a melted or pile of junk or having fixed one problem and then created 5 more.  Just saying it would be nice if there were some better specifics to it...
Either way thanks for the post
2018-3-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

What an odd but easy fix. Great to see it worked for you.

RedHotPoker
2018-3-20
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Didn't watch the complete video but as i understand he don't know for sure where the problem was and is only applying heat, not pushing anything down so i'll suggest if anyone trying this to start with surface turning downward as it must be something slipping during the upgrade and flowing back in place by gravity when performing the fix.
It might be possible to locate the right component by pushing them down one by one with a plastic stick while power is connected if all four leds light up when connection is made.
2018-3-21
Use props
rchan
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-20 19:50
Anyway, nice to know you have figured this issue out. If the unit is in warranty period, it is not suggested to take apart at your end which may void the warranty. Hope for your understanding.

Yes, it is understood that if it is still within the warranty period have the manufacturer repair their faulty product. There is just too many consumers with the same issue for it not to be in the manufacturing process of the remote control.

Again, DJI step up and fix your manufacturing issue! I am quite confident that your techs know exactly what and where the issue is on the RC board.

2018-3-21
Use props
rchan
lvl.1
United States

I should add that on the second controller that I fixed, I did not remove the large board from the controller case. I just applied heat to the area where the battery plugs in and where the charger plugs in. Just in that corner of the board. I also removed the battery from the controller case to make it easier to plug in and check the status of the repair. Only do this if you are willing to purchase another $329.00 controller that may possibly come with the same issue. At least that is what I am reading from others.
2018-3-21
Use props
rchan
lvl.1
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-3-20 19:55
OK interesting and informative and possibly useful if your RC craps out on you in this manner...
However, what I still don't truly understand is what exactly was wrong...you heat up the board, possibly melt some solder and it possibly reforms in a better circuit/connection...OK, so if that is what is truly the problem then you are saying the underlying issue is DJI is putting out product with faulty solder jobs or without very good QA/QC processes in place (not surprised by that either).  Yet, if you are not correct then what, as there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to the solution just blast about 250 degrees of heat in this general area here then over here and on this spot and great it works.  Did the plastic change causing the fix, did something inside the connector change causing it to start working exactly what and where was the problem?  I have no dispute that this procedure seemed to work, for more than one person, but there does not appear to be any specific approach to said fix...for some who are not electronics savvy using this fix process they could end up with a melted or pile of junk or having fixed one problem and then created 5 more.  Just saying it would be nice if there were some better specifics to it...
Either way thanks for the post

I agree. I am not sure what exactly gets fixed. I am guessing a bad connection?
DJI surely knows by now what is wrong with so many controllers coming back in for repair.
I too wish they would just cough up what is wrong and fix the issue or let us know exactly what the issue with the board is.
2018-3-21
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

rchan Posted at 2018-3-21 05:39
I should add that on the second controller that I fixed, I did not remove the large board from the controller case. I just applied heat to the area where the battery plugs in and where the charger plugs in. Just in that corner of the board. I also removed the battery from the controller case to make it easier to plug in and check the status of the repair. Only do this if you are willing to purchase another $329.00 controller that may possibly come with the same issue. At least that is what I am reading from others.

That certainly narrows it down a bit...
2018-3-21
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

rchan Posted at 2018-3-21 08:05
I agree. I am not sure what exactly gets fixed. I am guessing a bad connection?
DJI surely knows by now what is wrong with so many controllers coming back in for repair.
I too wish they would just cough up what is wrong and fix the issue or let us know exactly what the issue with the board is.

I know I'll catch heck for this, but while DJI makes the most advanced and capable consumer UAVs on the market, China is not exactly known for pristine QA & QC processes and procedures.
In this case, issues and problems such as the substandard plastics that seem to be susceptible to stress cracks, FW updates that appear to be launched with little testing, App updates with bugs and questionable code inside them, and now substandard soldering.  Kind of a sad list for such a cutting edge company, however, I will concede growing pains and the fact that it is cutting edge for some issues especially the SW side of it.  However, the manufacturing side gets far less of a pass.  They should be able to make plastic parts that can hold up to the stress and or heat at not a greater cost and the soldering thing should be industry standard for dependability.  I'm not sure it's DJI directly, likely it is their subcontractors who make the parts for their products.  Yet DJI ought to be holding them to a high level of quality by checking these parts when a new batch comes in, do they, I'm not so sure.
2018-3-21
Use props
Alberto1993
lvl.2
Flight distance : 608310 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Il mio radiocomando phantom 4 pro plus non si carica più al 100% ma si ferma al 90%. Prima funzionava benissimo, ho fatto aggiornamento e ora si ferma al 90%. Abbiamo tutti i problemi con aggiornamenti che non sono buoni
2018-3-22
Use props
Alberto1993
lvl.2
Flight distance : 608310 ft
  • >>>
Italy

my phantom 4 pro plus radio remote control does not charge more than 100% but stops at 90%. Before it worked very well, I did update and now it stops at 90%. We have all the problems with updates that are not good
2018-3-22
Use props
Kennyv66
lvl.1
Flight distance : 53041 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-20 19:50

I purchased my p4p and the controller was defective out of the box, I received a replacement which I suspect was a refurbished unit and now that controller is not taking a charge with only 5.5 hours on the p4p and it is out of warranty, so what is DJI going to do about these defective controllers?  Is it fair that I have only gotten 5.5 hours out of this?  
2019-5-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Kennyv66 Posted at 5-7 09:10
I purchased my p4p and the controller was defective out of the box, I received a replacement which I suspect was a refurbished unit and now that controller is not taking a charge with only 5.5 hours on the p4p and it is out of warranty, so what is DJI going to do about these defective controllers?  Is it fair that I have only gotten 5.5 hours out of this?

No.

Do? Probably little...

RedHotPoker
2019-5-7
Use props
Kennyv66
lvl.1
Flight distance : 53041 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 5-7 09:55
No.

Do? Probably little...

LOL, I still have options like which brand I will be buying in the future.
2019-5-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Kennyv66 Posted at 5-7 10:21
LOL, I still have options like which brand I will be buying in the future.

Grinning like a rake...

I have 5 or 6 quads, only one is A OEM DJI drone...

Plenty of fish in the sea...

RedHotPoker
2019-5-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Kennyv66 Posted at 5-7 09:10
I purchased my p4p and the controller was defective out of the box, I received a replacement which I suspect was a refurbished unit and now that controller is not taking a charge with only 5.5 hours on the p4p and it is out of warranty, so what is DJI going to do about these defective controllers?  Is it fair that I have only gotten 5.5 hours out of this?

Hi Kennyv66, I'm sorry to read the issue. It is recommended to send the unit inf or diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support The local team will offer you a proper solution according to the damage assessment.
2019-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules