See my blog: https://www.veletron.com/chinese-car-charger-for-dji-mavic-air/
2018-3-20
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1158258 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Interesting blog and post. I just bought my x1 car charger for MA. I'll smell it at arrival...The x2 I think it does not deliver enough charging current (2.1 Amps) as compared to the original DJI network charger having an output/charging current of 3,83 Amps.I have a smaller powerbank than yours (16800mAh) but my 40W solar panel needs a loooooong full day to charge it. 10W it seems too low...
2018-3-20
Use props
veletron
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Aye, 10W is too low, but this is for backpacking, cycle touring and kayaking, and there are limits to how much solar I could carry. Wont cost me much to try it anyway, and I can add another panel if no-good.
2018-3-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice review.
2018-3-21
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

veletron Posted at 2018-3-20 14:18
Aye, 10W is too low, but this is for backpacking, cycle touring and kayaking, and there are limits to how much solar I could carry. Wont cost me much to try it anyway, and I can add another panel if no-good.

I discharged my 16800 mAh powerbank and I let it yesterday for 4 hours to charge on a 40W solarpannel. This morning I continued (having until now 6 total hours on full sun: 15V*1A*6h = 90Wh) and still my powerbank it is not fully charged. I'll come back later with an updated total time, but it seems to me that using powerbanks to charge Air's batteries is a good solution, but fast solar charging powerbanks is a different thing...
2018-3-21
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Thanks for the review and pics.

I see the 2 port chargers says 2x 2.3 amps, can you confirm that it charges at 2.3 amps with just one battery connected, instead of charging it at 4.5 amps?  I'd really like to know because I need a SLOW carcharger which I can use on my motorbike without pulling to much current.  ( I know it says 2x2.3 amps on the charger specs, but I would like to see it confirmed)
2018-3-21
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

veletron Posted at 2018-3-20 14:18

updating also #5:

Finally I managed to charge the powerbank in less than 8 hours with a 40W portable and foldable solar pannel which it is not as bad I thought for a moment.
This stands for 2 to 3 Air batteries to be charged, and, with a couple of powerbanks I could get almost full autonomy in the wild.
To end my post in a more optimistic way, have to admit that Air have a more energetically efficient system battery as compared to Mavic Pro Platinum and P4P+ and being surpassed only by its smaller brother, the Spark. If we think at energy which, on wild, can be supplied via powerbanks and solar pannels, a Spark battery with 16.87Wh and 16 minutes fly time means for every minute one has the Spark on air, it needs 1.05 watts of energy. In fact it will draw more as, a fraction of energy is lost when charging the batteries, etc., but, to ease the comparison will consider a 100% charging efficiency (energy transfer).
Mavic air with 21 minutes flight time and 27.43 Wh will require 1.3 Watts for every minute on air, while Mavic Pro Platinum uses 1,45 Watts (30 minutes for a batttery of 43,6Wh).
Finally, it comes P4P with 2.97 Watts per minute of flying (89.2 Wh for 30 minutes flight) which justifies why I think I'll love more my Air on my future jungle expeditions.
2018-3-21
Use props
veletron
lvl.2

United Kingdom

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-21 05:52
Thanks for the review and pics.

I see the 2 port chargers says 2x 2.3 amps, can you confirm that it charges at 2.3 amps with just one battery connected, instead of charging it at 4.5 amps?  I'd really like to know because I need a SLOW carcharger which I can use on my motorbike without pulling to much current.  ( I know it says 2x2.3 amps on the charger specs, but I would like to see it confirmed)

Will try this when I next get to use my drone. The info sheet that came with it says it takes an hour to charge for the single output charger so I suspect it is actually the same 2.3A output as the dual charger.
2018-3-23
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

veletron Posted at 2018-3-23 00:31
Will try this when I next get to use my drone. The info sheet that came with it says it takes an hour to charge for the single output charger so I suspect it is actually the same 2.3A output as the dual charger.

Greatly apreciated! I'm eager to find out what your conclusion will be.
2018-3-23
Use props
veletron
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Just a wee update on this - now charged all my batteries 3 times using the car charger with no issues and flight times matching stock charger. The charger will work down to 12.1V (and likely lower) so the engine need not be started. It takes under an hour to charge a pair of batteries or a single battery. Current draw with 2 batteries is about 5A and with a single battery about 2.5A. The charger with the single output cable draws max 2.5A @ 12V. The batteries themselves stop charging when they are full (this feature exists in the battery, not the charger). I have also run it from a car jump starter to recharge 3 batteries in a remote location.

In short - a Bargain, and one that will get 2x mavic batteries fully charged quicker than the mains dock or stock 12V charger will do.
2018-4-6
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

This is awesome!  All the info I needed to pull the trigger

Thank you so much for testing, you nailed all my questions!
2018-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules