Question about Maximum Height
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kuya Kano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

In my most recent video, I shared a video from a mountainous region where I filmed the vast vegetable terraces.  From my launching point, I would estimate that I was well over 500 feet above the valley floor below.  As I decended from my launching point, my altitude read in negative meters until I would ascend back up to my original launching altitude and above.  In regards to maximum height in such mountainous regions, what is the rule of maximum height?  Unless I took the P4P all the way to the valley floor and started, I can not verify exactly what the altitude is.  Here is a link to the video in which from the start of the video you can see what I mean where it said I was flying at 10 meters when I backed away from us.
I appreciate any verification on how the maximum height rules apply to such regions.  Thank you.

2018-3-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Baguio?  What is that - the PI?  

In most if not all countries, the max height allowed is relative to the surface of the earth and varies as the terrain changes directly below the AC at any given moment.  I think in most countries, the rule is 120 meters AGL.
2018-3-22
Use props
DronePrincess
lvl.1
United States

I have also had this happen. In most areas the legal height limit is 400 AGL or 120 meters  so technically when over the valley you should have to lower your altitude. I find it helpful to know my starting altitude and then when it goes negative I know what the approximate height is.  Good luck and great shot.
2018-3-22
Use props
Kuya Kano
lvl.4
United States

DronePrincess Posted at 2018-3-22 06:48
I have also had this happen. In most areas the legal height limit is 400 AGL or 120 meters  so technically when over the valley you should have to lower your altitude. I find it helpful to know my starting altitude and then when it goes negative I know what the approximate height is.  Good luck and great shot.

Thank you.
That was what I was trying to do, "estimate" the height I was flying, however, subtracting negative only tells me how much lower I am than my initial launch point.  Each step of these terraces are about at least 15 feet taller than the one below it.  Calculate that up to 2000 feet and thats a lot of math, not to mention a long way for the farmers to climb every day.  Mind boggling, and I'll never complain again about having to bend over in a garden that is 20 feet away from my back door and at the same elevation.
2018-3-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I don't know about your rules and regulations for drone maximum height.
But I sure enjoy your videos. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-3-22
Use props
Kuya Kano
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-3-22 11:39
I don't know about your rules and regulations for drone maximum height.
But I sure enjoy your videos. ;-)

LOL, thank you.  
Still haven't made it to our island hideaway yet.  That will be this summer.  And there's rumors of a WW2 Japanese treasure vault somewhere hidden in the area.  I'll be making a documentary about that as well.  Until then, in Metro Manila, I can get about as far as Robinson's Mall that is about 1/2 mile away before I lose reception.  sigh...
2018-3-22
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft

Nice part of  the world good work RE max height i agree with the previous replies  120mtr/400ft  AGL  just be mindful of other air users who may be flying at a lower altitude  below you .

2018-3-22
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Important to remember that if you can't tell how high you are then the manned aircraft can't either and will probably be less accurate than you.  Most of them don't have any way of measuring it other than their eyes, only the airliners have radio altimeters to give an accurate height.

So it is important to keep your aircraft in sight so that you can take avoidance action if required, the exact height isn't important.
2018-3-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Kuya Kano Posted at 2018-3-22 12:12
LOL, thank you.  
Still haven't made it to our island hideaway yet.  That will be this summer.  And there's rumors of a WW2 Japanese treasure vault somewhere hidden in the area.  I'll be making a documentary about that as well.  Until then, in Metro Manila, I can get about as far as Robinson's Mall that is about 1/2 mile away before I lose reception.  sigh...

I would be interested in seeing anything you would present to us.

I love seeing your part of the world, with all its unusual sights and wonderful scenery...

Please post more, often. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules