Lack of resolution is a problem on the Osmo Mobile 2
3292 10 2018-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CynicalZombie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 179813 ft

I was excited to see the app update recently. Release notes: "Optimized the panorama algorithm to enhance the image stitching quality significantly"

The 3 Panorama modes that we had before the latest update had very low vertical resolution when the Osmo Mobile 2 is paired with my iPhone X...

180°: 6517 x 911
330°: 9330 x 929
3x3: 4471 x 1928

I was expecting this to be better after the update but here's what we got unfortunately...

Ultra WideAngle: 2089 x 1335 (9 Pics, 3 rows of 3)
Fisheye: 3073 x 1290 (15 Pics, 3 rows of 5)
Panorama: 5092 x 1332 (27 pics, 3 rows of 9)

They got rid of 2 perfectly acceptable modes (180 & 330) which had a good horizontal resolution and changed the name of 3x3 to Ultra WideAngle.
Please notice that the output resolution of the newly named Ultra WideAngle is actually LOWER than it was before!  This is not acceptable.
Look at the Fisheye resolution.  The iPhone X takes pics at 4032 x 3024 using the rear camera.  So 3 rows of pics being merged into a pano suggests to me that the vertical resolution should be MORE than a single image.  Even if there was a 50% overlap vertically I should still have an output vertical resolution of 4500, it's not even a third of that.

What's also unfortunate is that when I select the option to "Save Unstitched Pano Photos" and try to create the pano in Lightroom to get a higher resolution output it fails every time with all 3 types of Pano.  This is irritating since Lightroom can easily handle the processing for all 4 of the Pano modes on my Mavic Pro.

2018-3-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

What I like to do is just use the default iOS camera app to create pano's.
The osmo mobile makes perfect horizontal movement with the joystick.
I tried the pano modes as well, but they did not work for me too.
2018-3-22
Use props
Robbindek
New
Flight distance : 75440 ft
Netherlands

You are right, Panorama mode is unusable now
2018-4-10
Use props
Seitenwerk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59400 ft
Austria

Default iOS Panorama functions already produce the best panorama quality i have seen so far. I would recommend using the native app for most things (picture, video etc) unless you need more control, then stick to filmic pro (for video)
2018-4-10
Use props
Nono33
lvl.1
France

Hello same problem with me. I find it not acceptable to have a system that says « high res panorama » when the 27 stiched photos are barely larger than just ONE iphone resolution photo ! Can you please tell me DJI when is that supposed to be fixed ? I’m going on holidays in 3 weeks and i was counting on that High Res panorama. Thank you.
2018-7-1
Use props
Nono33
lvl.1
France

Hello same problem with me. I find it not acceptable to have a system that says « high res panorama » when the 27 stiched photos are barely larger than just ONE iphone resolution photo !
Can you please tell me DJI when is that supposed to be fixed ? I’m going on holidays in 3 weeks and i was counting on that High Res panorama.
Thank you.
2018-7-1
Use props
Nono33
lvl.1
France

Nono33 Posted at 2018-7-1 15:32
Hello same problem with me. I find it not acceptable to have a system that says « high res panorama » when the 27 stiched photos are barely larger than just ONE iphone resolution photo ! Can you please tell me DJI when is that supposed to be fixed ? I’m going on holidays in 3 weeks and i was counting on that High Res panorama. Thank you.

Ps: i tried to stich the 27 pics in Lightroom classic but it didn’t work.
2018-7-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry for my late response, we have optimized the Pano Mode but the previous functions are still there, I have made a small chart for a better explanation, hope it helps. 232535tva794xx7h95x48v.png

2018-7-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Nono33 Posted at 2018-7-1 15:32
Hello same problem with me. I find it not acceptable to have a system that says « high res panorama » when the 27 stiched photos are barely larger than just ONE iphone resolution photo !
Can you please tell me DJI when is that supposed to be fixed ? I’m going on holidays in 3 weeks and i was counting on that High Res panorama.
Thank you.

If you need the higher resolution, it is recommended to stitch all the single pictures via the third party program, what happened when you use Lightroom? Have you tried other programs?
2018-7-2
Use props
Nono33
lvl.1
France

Hello and thank you for the reply. What third party program? In fact i want to stay in my ecosystem lightroom for my photos. When i try to stich them it gives a strange mapping in every projection i choose. One user said that it was possible to stich via lightroom with the mavic pro photos for panorama. Do DJI does it on purpose for marketing reasons ?
Thank you for your help
2018-7-2
Use props
Nono33
lvl.1
France

..to be clear i would prefer the osmo mobile 2 to give true high res panorama photos and if not possible .. the unstiched photos must be lightroom friendly to get high res panorama... and the perfect thing would be to propose to capture the photos in RAW for better tuning
2018-7-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules