Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Which Phantom Do I need?
816 10 2018-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
yellowhammer
lvl.1

After saving my pennies for awhile I'm about ready to buy my first drone.  I've been out with friends flying their various drones and I prefer the phantom 4 over the Mavic.  I would like to eventually get the goggles as well and have the ability to have the camera pan/tilt with my head movements.

I do have 2 questions that I haven't been able to answer by reading other posts here:

Is the goggle controlled camera functionality available with the standard phantom 4 or do I need one of the upgraded phantom 4 models?

Also, can someone fly the drone via ipad and another person spectate simultaneously with the goggles?

Thanks!
2018-3-22
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

According to the manual, the goggles can be used with the Phantom 4 series, so I take that to mean any Phantom 4.  As far as if someone can wear the goggles and someone else fly with an iPad, I think on the Phantom 4's you need the Pro or Pro+ with the optional HDMI board.
Why not a Mavic Pro? I have both a Phantom 4 Pro and a Mavic Pro and use my goggles with the Mavic Pro only. It connects wireless to the aircraft and gives you full control with both the goggles and remote with an iPad (or whatever device you prefer).
2018-3-22
Use props
yellowhammer
lvl.1

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-3-22 15:11
According to the manual, the goggles can be used with the Phantom 4 series, so I take that to mean any Phantom 4.  As far as if someone can wear the goggles and someone else fly with an iPad, I think on the Phantom 4's you need the Pro or Pro+ with the optional HDMI board.
Why not a Mavic Pro? I have both a Phantom 4 Pro and a Mavic Pro and use my goggles with the Mavic Pro only. It connects wireless to the aircraft and gives you full control with both the goggles and remote with an iPad (or whatever device you prefer).

In my hands the phantom 4 felt more durable than the Mavic Pro did but I could be wrong.  I don't really need the folding capability of the Mavic either.

I'm not above reconsidering the Mavic if it's the better choice for using the goggles.
2018-3-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Unless you wish to carry the foldable drone on your hip in a holster, I don't see any advantage to the model.

RedHotPoker
2018-3-22
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"Is the goggle controlled camera functionality available with the standard phantom 4 or do I need one of the upgraded phantom 4 models?"

Yes there is gimbal and flight head control available on the Goggles when used with the P4. But the goggles need to connect to RC via USB lead. Currently there is a 30m altitude and 50m radial restriction on flight if the goggles are plugged into RC. To overcome this restriction you need to initiate P4 with a phone or tablet running a logged in version of DJI Go 4 (the logging in bit is done once when wifi available, thereafter no wifi or cell data is needed to fly). Once the aircraft has initiated then swap phone/tablet for goggles.

However the Goggles were developed at the same time the Mavic Pro (also applies to Platinum) and integrate very well, with the goggles having ocusync wireless feed from aircraft. Goggles and tablet/phone can be used simultaneously. In fact taken to the extreme it is possible to have two sets of Goggles & two RCs (four devices in total) working with one Mavic Pro or Mavic Pro Platinum. And at close range the FPV stream on Mavic Pro to Goggles can be 1080P as opposed to 720P on the P4 and others.

Note however that the Mavic Air does not have Ocusync so any connection to it is via USB, and same rules apply as per P4.

With the P4 it would be possible to add the HDMI module to the RC and plug goggles in there for use by a third party (limited by length of USB cable) while you flew and controlled via RC & tablet/phone.

If you're definitely going down the goggles route then I would recommend the Mavic Pro or Platinum over the P4.
2018-3-22
Use props
James R
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1423871 ft

The bigger question that you need to ask is how serious are you about the quality of the camer. IMO there is a pretty significant difference in the two cameras.
2018-3-22
Use props
yellowhammer
lvl.1

I don't need to have the bleeding edge camera.  I'd rank my priorities as:

1.  Durability
2.  Integration with goggles (camera view follow my head movements)
3.  Value/Price - I'm OK with a plain ole Phantom 4 if need be
4.  Ability for spectate via iPad and goggles at same time.  Watching somebody else fly their drone.

FWIW I did get a HDMI adapter for the iPad and a long HDMI cable so we are able to have spectators watching a monitor while somebody else flies.  

I've got about $1000 of play money saved up and just need to narrow down what drone is best for me i.e.:  Phantom 4 vs Mavic & Advanced/Pro etc etc etc sub types.  I probably can't afford to get the goggles and the drone at the same time so will get the drone first and the goggles later.  Being an a responsible adult & all....

Shhh.  Haven't told my wife yet...
2018-3-22
Use props
James R
Second Officer

With that price range, unless you find a really good deal. The phantom 4 pro will be out of range.

This could go any way, but I wouldn't buy the goggles until you were comfortable flying because they arnt "cheap"
2018-3-22
Use props
yellowhammer
lvl.1

I can save more, just need to figure out what is optimal and what it's going to cost me.
2018-3-22
Use props
James R
Second Officer

Phantom 4 with one battery 1100 new. Goggles around 400.

Personally imo, you would be happier purchasing another battery than goggles..... Just my opinion.
2018-3-22
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

If you use the USB connecting cable for connecting the RC and Goggles, you are able to use the gimbal tracking for Phantom 4, please refer to the manual below. Please note to update the firmware to the latest version.
You can connect the RC, Goggles and mobile device at the same time, you will need an HDMI module to realize it, but please note that when connecting via the HDMI port, controlling the drone is not available. More info, please visit the manual. p4 ggls.png
2018-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules