Batteries Warm??
1562 21 2018-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nutsnbolts
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Ok, I haven't flown my Mavic Pro Platinum for a couple weeks. I decided to take it out and check for firmware updates and simply prepare it for my trip to the caribbean. When I pressed the button, it is showing that it has 3 lights which I'm assuming it started to intelligently deplete. I checked all the other batteries and noticed once was WARM.

So what is going on? Anyone can shed some light to this?

2018-3-22
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have learned not to store DJI batteries over 30% charged for long periods of time... they get "weird" and go bad. I would walk through and recharge all of your batteries before you go just to make sure no issues. I have not had a battery feel warm unless it had just been charged or in use.
2018-3-22
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

You should not use that battery. Just return it. you have 6 month and or 200 charges. Then set the depletion in the app to 3 days. and keep them out at temperature room. I never store in a close case, drawer etc. I just leave them on the desk.
2018-3-22
Use props
nutsnbolts
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2018-3-22 18:42
You should not use that battery. Just return it. you have 6 month and or 200 charges. Then set the depletion in the app to 3 days. and keep them out at temperature room. I never store in a close case, drawer etc. I just leave them on the desk.

They were in a case but that's odd I guess I should proceed with replacing it?
2018-3-23
Use props
mlamb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140190 ft
United States

If the battery was in the process of self discharging(default is to start after 10 days), I think it does that by giving off some heat.  How else is it going to get rid of the excess energy?  It's in the documentation somewhere.
2018-3-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s perfectly normal for battery to get warm when discharging or in storage , it’s always advisable to keep batteries in lipo bags. But there is nothing wrong with your battery. Just charge it and use it.
2018-3-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You should store your batteries at 40% in a cool, dry place and indeed a LiPo bag is best. If you store them above 65% they will auto discharge as highlighted by HallMark above - and become WARM in the process.
2018-3-23
Use props
nutsnbolts
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Thanks everyone for the confirmation. I would think that makes sense that it would emit some warmth. Perhaps it was all coincidence that at that point when it was discharging was exactly when I was doing this.

I do store it in a case in a a cool place and i do have lipo bags but was only going to use it for when I'm traveling.
2018-3-23
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-23 03:32
It’s perfectly normal for battery to get warm when discharging or in storage , it’s always advisable to keep batteries in lipo bags. But there is nothing wrong with your battery. Just charge it and use it.[view_image]

The OP said:

"I haven't flown my Mavic Pro Platinum for a couple weeks. "

So the discharging was done even if he did not adjust the timer to less than 10 days.

So it was warm when it WASN'T suppose to discharge which mean "Better be safe than sorry!"

Return and exchange!

2018-3-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, please try to discharge the battery and recharge it fully to check whether it works well. If there is anything wrong, a message will pop up in APP. No worries.
2018-3-25
Use props
nutsnbolts
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2018-3-24 11:18
The OP said:

"I haven't flown my Mavic Pro Platinum for a couple weeks. "

All for nothing, I will try what DJI Susan stated, discharging fully and recharging again to see if any error pops up. In either case, it is odd or highly COINCIDENTAL that the moment I opened my case to check firmware, one battery was warm.  I'm not saying it can't happen but...
2018-3-25
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Has anyone actually measured the temperature rise of the MP batteries under self discharge?  I haven't checked mine, but I did on my Phantom 3.  When they went into self discharge, they rose 1 to 1.5 degrees F.  Just enough that you can feel it slightly.  That's measured with an IR thermometer and done many times over a period of a few weeks.  If I think of it and get the time, I'll check my MP batteries.  I'm flying a bit more now so they don't sit too long without use.  Contrary to what others are saying, I do store one battery in the bird and the other in its slot in the case.  I always try to have one battery fully charged in case I need it.  The other one stores at around half, sometimes less.
2018-3-25
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

nutsnbolts Posted at 2018-3-25 21:26
All for nothing, I will try what DJI Susan stated, discharging fully and recharging again to see if any error pops up. In either case, it is odd or highly COINCIDENTAL that the moment I opened my case to check firmware, one battery was warm.  I'm not saying it can't happen but...

Keep us updated!
2018-3-26
Use props
nutsnbolts
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-3-25 21:54
Has anyone actually measured the temperature rise of the MP batteries under self discharge?  I haven't checked mine, but I did on my Phantom 3.  When they went into self discharge, they rose 1 to 1.5 degrees F.  Just enough that you can feel it slightly.  That's measured with an IR thermometer and done many times over a period of a few weeks.  If I think of it and get the time, I'll check my MP batteries.  I'm flying a bit more now so they don't sit too long without use.  Contrary to what others are saying, I do store one battery in the bird and the other in its slot in the case.  I always try to have one battery fully charged in case I need it.  The other one stores at around half, sometimes less.

I can tell you that the batteries were definitely warm. I actually was doubting myself and check the case and was like did I put my case on top of a heater??

I don't know exactly how many degrees warm but warm enough.
2018-3-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nutsnbolts Posted at 2018-3-26 13:57
I can tell you that the batteries were definitely warm. I actually was doubting myself and check the case and was like did I put my case on top of a heater??

I don't know exactly how many degrees warm but warm enough.

If you have your batteries set to discharge at 10 days from 100% the time to discharge takes 2-3 days - so 13 days later and the batteries will be warm. Are they still warm?
2018-3-26
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

nutsnbolts Posted at 2018-3-25 21:26
All for nothing, I will try what DJI Susan stated, discharging fully and recharging again to see if any error pops up. In either case, it is odd or highly COINCIDENTAL that the moment I opened my case to check firmware, one battery was warm.  I'm not saying it can't happen but...

Don't fully discharge the battery, do not let it go below 8%, bringing it down to 8% will reset the battery FW and allow for a full charge. Bringing the battery to below 8% can damage the cells.
2018-3-26
Use props
nutsnbolts
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-26 14:40
Don't fully discharge the battery, do not let it go below 8%, bringing it down to 8% will reset the battery FW and allow for a full charge. Bringing the battery to below 8% can damage the cells.

ok now i'm completely confused.
2018-3-26
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

nutsnbolts Posted at 2018-3-26 15:50
ok now i'm completely confused.

Easiest way to reset the battery is to fly it down to 20% and have it close by like by your side when you reach the 20% mark. Then let it hover until you get to 10% then the Mavic will force land due to low battery, shut it down then restart everything and just let it sit there, watch the app until it gets to 8% (it will discharge about 1% p/minute) then shut everything down. Remove the battery and let it cool down to room temp, then charge it up and you should be good to go.

2018-3-26
Use props
nutsnbolts
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-26 16:05
Easiest way to reset the battery is to fly it down to 20% and have it close by like by your side when you reach the 20% mark. Then let it hover until you get to 10% then the Mavic will force land due to low battery, shut it down then restart everything and just let it sit there, watch the app until it gets to 8% (it will discharge about 1% p/minute) then shut everything down. Remove the battery and let it cool down to room temp, then charge it up and you should be good to go.

So what happened to not letting it discharge below 8%?
2018-3-26
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

nutsnbolts Posted at 2018-3-26 16:14
So what happened to not letting it discharge below 8%?

"let it hover until you get to 10% then the Mavic will force land due to low battery, shut it down then restart everything and just let it sit there, watch the app until it gets to 8% (it will discharge about 1% p/minute) then shut everything down"

You shut everything down when it reaches 8%, just don't let it go until it reaches 7,6,5,4,3,2,1,0%. I have done this many times when my batteries have been charged 20-25 times with batteries from P3P,P4P & MP and it keeps things fresh and have had no problems to date, some of my P3P batteries have over 100 charges on them. And it is a free way to discharge them.
You can also watch the battery meter(s) in the app when the first cell gets to 3.7V shut it down, depleted battery cell is 3.7V fully charged cell is 4.20V
2018-3-26
Use props
nutsnbolts
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-26 16:23
"let it hover until you get to 10% then the Mavic will force land due to low battery, shut it down then restart everything and just let it sit there, watch the app until it gets to 8% (it will discharge about 1% p/minute) then shut everything down"

You shut everything down when it reaches 8%, just don't let it go until it reaches 7,6,5,4,3,2,1,0%. I have done this many times when my batteries have been charged 20-25 times with batteries from P3P,P4P & MP and it keeps things fresh and have had no problems to date, some of my P3P batteries have over 100 charges on them. And it is a free way to discharge them.

Ahh ok basically just let it go down to 8% and then shut it down.

From there, start the recharging again to full.
2018-3-26
Use props
nutsnbolts
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

OK can someone tell me what "Self Discharge" message means? I noticed this was coming up on the app when I started to execute the steps above.
2018-3-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules