8936 10 2018-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vukir
lvl.1
Flight distance : 486460 ft
United States

Hey Everyone,

Got a combo kit from DJI that included the Air, fly more, and the goggles. Needless to say I was stoked. Plugged in my goggles immediatly when I got them and they took 2 days to charge. Even after that, the charge indicator light was still on and the 4 LED lights were blinking in order. I didn't check the percentage then as I figured it was how the unit charged and took it for a flight.

Worked fine (I'm disapointed that disclosure on the limited compatibility with the Air wasn't provided when buying, but that's another topic), flew some on my Air, flew some on a friends Mavic Pro, used it to play Monster Hunter on my spare PS4. You know, good times.

Went to charge a second time and after a few hours, the percentage hadn't moved. Was still at 49%. Switched chargers and cables, but no dice. Eventually tried charging with it powered on (saw this suggested in another thread for a dead battery) and left it for a bit only to come back and find it at 43% battery life. I lost 6% while it was charging and had the display off (proximity sensor for the win).

Is anyone else seeing this issue? I've seen some non-charging problems in the forums, but never a slow charge like this. Used several 5v bricks and different micro-USB cables to no avail. Not sure if rolling back and re-applying the firmware would actually have an affect on the batter.

I'd prefer not to have to ship it in, so if anyone knows a fix or a potential solution, I'm all ears. And if anyone knows a way to run a second screen with the goggles and the air, would help me out a lot as well.

Thanks pilots.
-Vukir
2018-3-22
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

Turn your products off. Allow time to cool off. Turn on and restart the battery charging process.
2018-3-22
Use props
Vukir
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2018-3-22 16:13
Turn your products off. Allow time to cool off. Turn on and restart the battery charging process.

I hadn't used the goggles in a week or so when I went to charge it. So, in theory, it should have been ambient temperature. Left it to charge all last night (just got home from work) and in 20 hours it moved from 43% to 59%.

I'm refreshing the firmware and then I'll let it sit and plug it in again tonight. Wouldn't bother me with long charge times if it had a long run time. However at this rate it takes days to charge and less than a day to drain.

Thanks for the advice.
2018-3-22
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Vukir Posted at 2018-3-22 16:41
I hadn't used the goggles in a week or so when I went to charge it. So, in theory, it should have been ambient temperature. Left it to charge all last night (just got home from work) and in 20 hours it moved from 43% to 59%.

I'm refreshing the firmware and then I'll let it sit and plug it in again tonight. Wouldn't bother me with long charge times if it had a long run time. However at this rate it takes days to charge and less than a day to drain.

Hi, please change a cable or charger to charger your goggles. If it doesn't work. I would recommend you contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support
2018-3-23
Use props
Vukir
lvl.1
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-23 00:09
Hi, please change a cable or charger to charger your goggles. If it doesn't work. I would recommend you contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support

I've attempted this with the charger and cable from my Spark, from my Mavic Air, from the DJI Goggles, and from other sources (about a billion things charge by micro-USB so USB-C will soon be the standard and I'll be up a creek, so to speak). They've all performed about the same.

I'll reach out to support, but some of the other forums have put me off to that as it would likely require shipping it back. Was hoping to avoid that as others seem to take a long time to receive their device when sent in. Was hoping there'd be a known solution.

I'll reach out to them.

Thank you
2018-3-23
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Vukir Posted at 2018-3-23 06:55
I've attempted this with the charger and cable from my Spark, from my Mavic Air, from the DJI Goggles, and from other sources (about a billion things charge by micro-USB so USB-C will soon be the standard and I'll be up a creek, so to speak). They've all performed about the same.

I'll reach out to support, but some of the other forums have put me off to that as it would likely require shipping it back. Was hoping to avoid that as others seem to take a long time to receive their device when sent in. Was hoping there'd be a known solution.

You are welcome. If you have doubt in your case, please post your case number here. And I will help you look into the case.
2018-3-25
Use props
djiuser_zaVLdnn2h6RX
lvl.1
United States

You must use the charger that came with your goggles, it is a 3 amp charger, most chargers are 2 amp.
2018-9-2
Use props
ruggbg
lvl.2
United States

USB Chargers started out at 500ma, then increased over time to 3A. Current chargers are labeled just Quick Charge (usually 5V @2A), or Quickcharge 2, 3 or recently 4. The #2 chargers are capable of outputting 9V if the battery demands it. the #3 chargers can also output 12v and the #4 chargers can output about 20V. They will be marked with each voltage specified, if you have a magnifying glass. Each upgrade decreases the charging time. The device, of course, must have the capability to use the voltages otherwise only 5V will be available. The Goggles are QC3 capable therefore they use 12v, 9v, and 5v during the cycle.
Technically, you can use any charger for any USB device. The downside is that if the battery requires 3A and it is only getting 2A then the process is slowed down. Likewise, if the higher voltages are not available. However, 20 hours to go from 43 to 59% would indicate  you are trying to charge it from a USB2 port or a 500ma adapter and/or are using a cheap cable. If you have an adapter capable of 5V @2A and a cable designed for 2A then I would guess it would be fully charged after 20 hours. A cheap cable will have very small gauge wires and therefore drop too much voltage at 2A. A very long cable would also be a problem.
If you are using a QC3 adapter and a robust cable then you must eliminate the cable and adapter as a problem by connecting it to another QC3 capable device and observing the rate of charge there.
2018-11-13
Use props
djiuser_6LKINWdNDpWn
New

United States

My DJI FPV goggles battery is taking forever to get passed the second LED light. I just got my drone today and I hope I don’t have an out of box issue!
2022-1-17
Use props
stevejusto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2661624 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My goggles 2 battery is faulty. When i press the button no lights come on for 20 seconds. The lights then come on and i press and then press and hold and the battery turns on. My mates battery does not take 20secs to show lights his is instand after the first press. I have tried alsorts to sort it but no good. I do have the cable plugged in.. help would be good if possible.
2022-9-9
Use props
Sonther
New

Norway

My goggles battery also charegs slow. It says on the bak of the charges that the USB output is: 5V and 2A.
So my question is, does the battery take any higher?

The USB cable that comes in the package says 80 degrees C and 30V. Would it be better if I use a charger for my phone that utilizes super fast charging at higher voltages? Or maybe my laptops lightening USB-cable?
2023-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules