12Next >
8570 62 2018-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RjMllr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17913 ft
Philippines

If ever there will be a revamp of DJI Spark, what features do you want to see? This is just for fun, and is not official.
Single SelectVote, Total 125 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

10.40% (13)
16.80% (21)
34.40% (43)
4.80% (6)
33.60% (42)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-3-22
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I think we'll see a 3-axis Mechanical Gimbal on the Spark 2.
2018-3-22
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

None of those.  It is perfect.  Maybe frame rate selections would be good?  That and an electronic leash for those who can't fly ATTI beyond the range of their eyesight.  Spark making pilots prove they can fly before it lets them venture out further from home.  Sparks are prone to going into ATTI mode.
2018-3-22
Use props
Tom_A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

i chose longer battery time. I also have the Mavic Air. Top feature I would want for that would be more battery time. The most important change would be a better and stronger battery latch, but that is not a feature. That is a design flaw that needs to be fixed in the next generation.
2018-3-22
Use props
RjMllr
lvl.4
Philippines

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-22 19:49
I think we'll see a 3-axis Mechanical Gimbal on the Spark 2.

Yeah, I think so too. With a 2.7K or 4K camera
2018-3-22
Use props
RjMllr
lvl.4
Philippines

Tom_A Posted at 2018-3-22 20:35
i chose longer battery time. I also have the Mavic Air. Top feature I would want for that would be more battery time. The most important change would be a better and stronger battery latch, but that is not a feature. That is a design flaw that needs to be fixed in the next generation.

Yeah, more battery time = more fun!
2018-3-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

25 fps recording
2018-3-22
Use props
Mr Sparkle
lvl.4
Australia

RAW and framerate selection can be added through new firmware - they were not enabled due to business decision.
2018-3-22
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Thanks for all the attention and feedback. We will continue to make an improvement on spark.
2018-3-23
Use props
13rovers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13766 ft
United Kingdom

Nailed it!  

But I would rather have this on Spark now, than have to buy a new one!!
2018-3-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

13rovers Posted at 2018-3-23 03:12
Nailed it!  

But I would rather have this on Spark now, than have to buy a new one!!

Very true
2018-3-23
Use props
jh8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

IMO if you improve Spark too much you will end up with the Mavic Air.

What would make sense:
- Same solid form factor weight range
- 3 axis gimbal (guess not)?
- 2.7k video (no 4k I guess)
- Improved wifi: acceptable range in CE
- RC cable connection
- Improved sensors (on back?)
- Faster in GPS mode (Spark is way too slow with OA on)
- Slightly improved battery: 18m?
- 16:9 photo ratio (should have been added to Spark)
2018-3-23
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Post deleted: Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 8.56.41 AM.png
This wierd symbol was displayed over my avatar.  Don't click on it... it links to some odd advertisement!!!

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 8.56.41 AM.png
2018-3-23
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

None of those.  [edit:  opps, missed the battery loc choice]  
I'd be happy with:
-some noise-reduced props;
-batteries with improved latching;
-replacing the software connection between the RC and aircraft with a cable connection (aka OTG);
-off line maps that cache and are retained after RC, Go4, and aircraft are turned off (available for subsequent flights)
-variable stick adjustments (as with Mavic)
2018-3-23
Use props
jksphoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
Sweden

I don't think there will be a Spark 2, Personally I think the line up will be Mavic Air, Mavic Pro (possibly 2), Phantom and Inspire.

Looking at the way Dji is pushing the air at the moment, ie not updating the Spark for a long time, can't remember when the last firmware update was, I can see the Spark being discontinued soon.

Just my 2 cents worth.
2018-3-23
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

United States

jksphoto Posted at 2018-3-23 06:33
I don't think there will be a Spark 2, Personally I think the line up will be Mavic Air, Mavic Pro (possibly 2), Phantom and Inspire.

Looking at the way Dji is pushing the air at the moment, ie not updating the Spark for a long time, can't remember when the last firmware update was, I can see the Spark being discontinued soon.

Actually, Spark makes more sense than Phantom series.
Since MP 2 is expected to have 1" sensor, no need for bulky Phantom series at all.
And Spark series should actually be sub 250g/79J urban flier with interference free link (ocusync 2?) that does not require registration and limitations and other bureaucratic BS.
2018-3-23
Use props
jksphoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
Sweden

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-3-23 06:55
Actually, Spark makes more sense than Phantom series.
Since MP 2 is expected to have 1" sensor, no need for bulky Phantom series at all.
And Spark series should actually be sub 250g/79J urban flier with interference free link (ocusync 2?) that does not require registration and limitations and other bureaucratic BS.

Good point, I'm keen to see what restrictions are brought in, in the UK this year.

What you say about the Spark is very valid
2018-3-23
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

RjMllr Posted at 2018-3-22 20:40
Yeah, I think so too. With a 2.7K or 4K camera

DJI should incorporate a 4K camera that would make its camera top notch.
2018-3-23
Use props
JoeCec
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

I believe the Spark will be fased out and the Mavic Air is the real Spark 2
2018-3-23
Use props
Firehawk989
lvl.4
Flight distance : 198904 ft
Canada

Yep, 249g total weight with the same feature set and flight time and they would sell like hotcakes, AND be automatically differentiated from the rest of the lineup because it wouldn't require registration.
2018-3-23
Use props
Kloo Gee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

From a business perspective, DJI would have to be crazy to kill off the Spark lineup.  It is their entry level drone that allows people to get into the hobby at a fairly reasonable price and then they've got you hooked and you end up with multiple other DJI drones.  I'm not fortune teller, but I would be a bit surprised to see an update in 2018 as I think they likely will do an update still for the Mavic Pro and Phantom lines before they get back to a new version of the Spark.

I would expect to see the Spark go smaller in its next iteration.  It is currently listed as having a 300g takeoff weight in its current form.  With the advancements that happen over time in technology around miniaturization of electronics and battery technology, I would be surprised to see a new version of it over 250g in order to make it an even easier sell for many people in countries all over the world. By that time, I think it will essentially just be a smaller version of what is currently the Mavic Air with very similar features.  Much in the same way that the Mavic Air is very much like a smaller version of the Mavic Pro with very similar features.

Any way to look at it, if you enjoy the hobby, its a great time to be a part of it!  
2018-3-23
Use props
halwilkerson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 213642 ft
United States

Would like to have native waypoint capability added for predetermined route or mission flight planning.
2018-3-23
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-3-23 09:56
From a business perspective, DJI would have to be crazy to kill off the Spark lineup.  It is their entry level drone that allows people to get into the hobby at a fairly reasonable price and then they've got you hooked and you end up with multiple other DJI drones.  I'm not fortune teller, but I would be a bit surprised to see an update in 2018 as I think they likely will do an update still for the Mavic Pro and Phantom lines before they get back to a new version of the Spark.

I would expect to see the Spark go smaller in its next iteration.  It is currently listed as having a 300g takeoff weight in its current form.  With the advancements that happen over time in technology around miniaturization of electronics and battery technology, I would be surprised to see a new version of it over 250g in order to make it an even easier sell for many people in countries all over the world. By that time, I think it will essentially just be a smaller version of what is currently the Mavic Air with very similar features.  Much in the same way that the Mavic Air is very much like a smaller version of the Mavic Pro with very similar features.

I am excited to see what new drones DJI has in store for 2018. There hasn't been any peep this year by DJI as to any additional drones that are being released, aside from this past January with the Mavic Air?

A lot of rumors were said that DJI would release a Mavic Pro 2 in March, but we see how that prediction seems to have come and gone?

But a Spark 2 that is even smaller than the current Spark with folding arms and 3 axis gimbal sounds like a real blockbuster winner. I just don't know how DJI is planning on unveiling all the new drones this year now that we're almost into April? I hope we see a new drone in the Spring before the Summer?
2018-3-23
Use props
dji TO88
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Canada

Foldable arms??
2018-3-23
Use props
Kloo Gee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-23 16:39
I am excited to see what new drones DJI has in store for 2018. There hasn't been any peep this year by DJI as to any additional drones that are being released, aside from this past January with the Mavic Air?

A lot of rumors were said that DJI would release a Mavic Pro 2 in March, but we see how that prediction seems to have come and gone?

When everybody was getting all excited about OsitaLV’s prediction of a March MP2 announcement, I said I would be surprised if they do that because it just didn’t make good business sense for DJI to do that so close to the Air’s release. DJI has said before that when they release a new product it canabalizes a large amount of sales away from their existing products.  It just doesn’t make sense for them to release 2 products that would be so close to each other in their product lineup only 2 months apart.  I think they’ll wait for Autel to show their hand with the Evo, then announce the MP2 to try to take the wind out of their sails just like they did the Karma.
2018-3-23
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-3-23 18:36
When everybody was getting all excited about OsitaLV’s prediction of a March MP2 announcement, I said I would be surprised if they do that because it just didn’t make good business sense for DJI to do that so close to the Air’s release. DJI has said before that when they release a new product it canabalizes a large amount of sales away from their existing products.  It just doesn’t make sense for them to release 2 products that would be so close to each other in their product lineup only 2 months apart.  I think they’ll wait for Autel to show their hand with the Evo, then announce the MP2 to try to take the wind out of their sails just like they did the Karma.

It all comes down to supply and demand with DJI attempting to grow the overall drone market. I agree with you that releasing new drones within several weeks or months time of each other isn't the norm, but when we were hearing all those rumors of a March launch date it sounded too good to be true.

Going forward we're going to have to take Ositalv's predictions with a grain of salt. Nobody is going to dispute not even Samsung that releasing new devices so close to each other from an R&D perspective isn't possible, I just think DJI is sitting on a lot of technology they could release to market today but don't. I'll draw the analogy "it is a poker player not showing his/her hand".

I wish they would understand concretely that for the market to mature and grow from here would require DJI to be aggressive with their product lineup and release more drones at lower ends of the pricing spectrum to attract new consumers and to grow the market as a whole. That's how LG, SONY, and Samsung were built. Nobody's Apple with a few core products constantly in their pipeline, and if DJI insists on being like Apple then they should just give their company to them. Plain and simple.
2018-3-23
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-23 18:56
It all comes down to supply and demand with DJI attempting to grow the overall drone market. I agree with you that releasing new drones within several weeks or months time of each other isn't the norm, but when we were hearing all those rumors of a March launch date it sounded too good to be true.

Going forward we're going to have to take Ositalv's predictions with a grain of salt. Nobody is going to dispute not even Samsung that releasing new devices so close to each other from an R&D perspective isn't possible, I just think DJI is sitting on a lot of technology they could release to market today but don't. I'll draw the analogy "it is a poker player not showing his/her hand".

Interesting thoughts on new product intros.  If they don't release faster, they should give their company to Apple?  Because they have a similar product release schedule as the famously poorly performing business known as Apple?

I would be surprised if they ever release another Mavic product.  They just released a new Mavic a month ago and people were ticked it wasn't customized for each and every one of them.  Now people want another Mavic pronto.  What, a smaller Mavic?  A cheaper Mavic?  A Mavic with a better camera?  A Mavic that folds up into a easy to carry case?  A Mavic that comes with gimbal crash protection and a cover?  A Mavic in new colors?  Can you say,...Air?

I think people are really raging for a Phantom 4 with a Mavic sticker on it rather than a new Mavic.  It will meet the needs of people who want a bigger Mavic, A 1 inch sensor Mavic, and a Mavic that can be flown miles from the eyesight of the pilot while pretending to be a radio control aircraft hobbyist.
2018-3-23
Use props
Tom_A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

If they add 24fps, they should add D-Cinnelike.
2018-3-23
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-3-23 21:34
Interesting thoughts on new product intros.  If they don't release faster, they should give their company to Apple?  Because they have a similar product release schedule as the famously poorly performing business known as Apple?

I would be surprised if they ever release another Mavic product.  They just released a new Mavic a month ago and people were ticked it wasn't customized for each and every one of them.  Now people want another Mavic pronto.  What, a smaller Mavic?  A cheaper Mavic?  A Mavic with a better camera?  A Mavic that folds up into a easy to carry case?  A Mavic that comes with gimbal crash protection and a cover?  A Mavic in new colors?  Can you say,...Air?

I think a Mavic Pro 2 is conceptually possible, given your example of the Phantom series having widespread success in releasing successor-based drone numerical additions.

The Air is a Mavic but it's not an iteration to the Mavic Pro and that's what everyone has been saying, another new Mavic Pro version is the demand that is being voiced here.
2018-3-24
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

Forget about longer flight, RAW, and 2.7k. Its a "selfie" drone (I hate when people say that) but they are gonna somehow fit a 3-axis gimbal
2018-3-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Tom_A Posted at 2018-3-23 23:03
If they add 24fps, they should add D-Cinnelike.

I think we can wish a lot.
Nothing will happen if you ask me.
They won't make the Spark move towards the MA even more.
2018-3-24
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-24 06:59
I think a Mavic Pro 2 is conceptually possible, given your example of the Phantom series having widespread success in releasing successor-based drone numerical additions.

The Air is a Mavic but it's not an iteration to the Mavic Pro and that's what everyone has been saying, another new Mavic Pro version is the demand that is being voiced here.

I don't see how the Air isn't the next Mavic Pro.  Unless it is just those that want a new drone expressly designed to reliably fly miles from the owner.  I can see consumer product regulating bodies glaring at DJI wanting to sell a drone with more over the horizon ability while wifi photography drones are available.  Wifi drones being self regulating to "within eyesight".

I am not sure DJI wants to be the next company to be banned for public safety.  They have enough bad press.  Continuing to improve wifi seems to be a good business decision.  Stepping back from dual band frequency hopping with multiple receivers and quad antennas to something like wifi that can't be flown across the city to the White House lawn.   Photographers welded to their couch while they launch the drone out their balcony to get shots of all the monuments in their city.  Claiming the public is safe with such flights.

2018-3-24
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-3-24 10:18
I don't see how the Air isn't the next Mavic Pro.  Unless it is just those that want a new drone expressly designed to reliably fly miles from the owner.  I can see consumer product regulating bodies glaring at DJI wanting to sell a drone with more over the horizon ability while wifi photography drones are available.  Wifi drones being self regulating to "within eyesight".

I am not sure DJI wants to be the next company to be banned for public safety.  They have enough bad press.  Continuing to improve wifi seems to be a good business decision.  Stepping back from dual band frequency hopping with multiple receivers and quad antennas to something like wifi that can't be flown across the city to the White House lawn.   Photographers welded to their couch while they launch the drone out their balcony to get shots of all the monuments in their city.  Claiming the public is safe with such flights.

I can see your point and the distance of the Mavic Pro isn't really different from the extended WiFi of the Air, it's just in my opinion a clearer signal.

The Ocusync signal isn't going to enable such destructive flying acts you describe any differently than enhanced WiFi, it is like I said a clearer, more undisturbed signal.
2018-3-24
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-24 11:45
I can see your point and the distance of the Mavic Pro isn't really different from the extended WiFi of the Air, it's just in my opinion a clearer signal.

The Ocusync signal isn't going to enable such destructive flying acts you describe any differently than enhanced WiFi, it is like I said a clearer, more undisturbed signal.

It will be interesting to see which way they go with the next drone.

2018-3-24
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-3-24 14:29
It will be interesting to see which way they go with the next drone.

I wonder if we'll see a Spark 2 this year?
2018-3-24
Use props
RjMllr
lvl.4
Philippines

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-24 17:13
I wonder if we'll see a Spark 2 this year?

Maybe it will be labeled as Spark Pro? HAHA
2018-3-25
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RjMllr Posted at 2018-3-25 13:20
Maybe it will be labeled as Spark Pro? HAHA

Spark Pro or Spark Air? :-)
2018-3-25
Use props
RjMllr
lvl.4
Philippines

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-23 02:26
Thanks for all the attention and feedback. We will continue to make an improvement on spark.

Please improve the battery locks
2018-3-25
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

I wanted a gimbal lock/ cover like the Mavic Air!
2018-3-26
Use props
RjMllr
lvl.4
Philippines

28wins Posted at 2018-3-26 16:55
I wanted a gimbal lock/ cover like the Mavic Air!

that sounds a good idea
2018-3-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules