Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ever tied on Anemometer
916 12 2018-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matthewstorm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 150932 ft
United States

Has anyone ever tied on an anemometer to their P4P and sent it up to the altitude they planned to fly to check wind speed? Has anyone ever used one at all before flying?
2018-3-23
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Just need to know that if it's measured at ground level and high, then it's a lot worse higher up.
2018-3-23
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Just switch the mode switch to Atti (A) and let the aircraft drift with the wind, the wind speed is then shown on your display as the horizontal speed figure.

If you just want a quick rough guide then you can hover in P mod and look at the attitude display, the more it is tilting the stronger the wind.

Just using an anemometer on the ground tells you very little about what is happening above, go up 200m and the wind may be blowing in the opposite direction!
2018-3-23
Use props
Second Officer
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-3-23 08:46
Just switch the mode switch to Atti (A) and let the aircraft drift with the wind, the wind speed is then shown on your display as the horizontal speed figure.

If you just want a quick rough guide then you can hover in P mod and look at the attitude display, the more it is tilting the stronger the wind.

Hey, that's a smart idea! Thanks!
2018-3-23
Use props
Anokadrone
Captain
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-3-23 08:46
Just switch the mode switch to Atti (A) and let the aircraft drift with the wind, the wind speed is then shown on your display as the horizontal speed figure.

If you were fairly close to a towered airport, you could monitor the ATIS frequency for that airport and typically they have a winds aloft  report that is pretty accurate.  
2018-3-23
Use props
Second Officer

Anokadrone Posted at 2018-3-23 09:14
If you were fairly close to a towered airport, you could monitor the ATIS frequency for that airport and typically they have a winds aloft  report that is pretty accurate.

Yeah but a VHS receiver is much more expensive than an anemometer.
2018-3-23
Use props
Anokadrone
Captain
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

AvatarAir Posted at 2018-3-23 09:20
Yeah but a VHS receiver is much more expensive than an anemometer.

Yes that is true.  I paid $125 USD for mine and use it when I am flying to monitor local traffic.  I am about 10 miles from an airport.  
2018-3-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I like uavforecast coupled with windy.com
2018-3-23
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

I've got one and used during my early days of flying drones, but wasn't naive enough to attach it to a bird. Later I learned that if a wind is messing my hairs, I'll be better off cancelling my flying plans for this day. Bold guys must rely on tree's foliage to be observed ...
2018-3-23
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

AvatarAir Posted at 2018-3-23 08:53
Hey, that's a smart idea! Thanks!

Not really an idea, it's more like a standard procedure when in doubt.
2018-3-23
Use props
Hellsgate
Captain
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Attatching one to your p4 wont work as you have the down draught from the props that would interfere with any readings.
Also once your up at altitude how are you planning on reading it ?
Little bit late to worry about the wind speeds at altitude once your already up there.
2018-3-23
Use props
Second Officer

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-3-23 11:30
Attatching one to your p4 wont work as you have the down draught from the props that would interfere with any readings.
Also once your up at altitude how are you planning on reading it ?
Little bit late to worry about the wind speeds at altitude once your already up there.

Well then I would bring it down to read it but yeah you're right about the props.
2018-3-23
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just go on to weatherunderground.com and search for a weather station near you, or go to maps, Wundermap, an airport is best, they are normally 4 letters such as EGUL, their anemometer should be mounted at 10m (33ft) thats the official height, you can then say add another 10mph on top for higher up, make sure you read the speed and gust. it could only be showing say 18mph speed but the gusts could be 30mph.

Another way is to search for your local METAR (google) same as above,

Another way is to use windytv (search) it will give you an idea on the wind now at your location at 100m i think it is, a bit tricky to figure that part out but worth it...

NB, some METARS only report hourly (uk for instance) some perhaps in the US every 30mins, you need to make sure you check its up date time, also, if you should choose to use a station that is close to you but its a private station, be AWARE that its possibly mounted incorrectly, might not be the correct height, might be that its got trees or buildings blocking one direction. You can normally get a feel for unsuitable stations on WU, they are the ones that are way of compared to the other stations around you, best to do a bit of homework before you rely on any one station, i.e. check the notes, its under About this pws near the name. see if it has a Davis station, thats a good start, see if it has a website, they tend to write some info on how the station is setup.
2018-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules