Using Spark RC and Android phone: phone constantly lags and disconnects
3499 17 2018-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_hXGFjTkofHWq
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14528 ft
United States

I have a spark and spark remote controller running the latest firmware.  I have the latest DJI Go4 app installed on my phone.  

I can connect to the Spark RC WiFi but the connection constantly drops in the app.  The wifi connection stays but it drops the connection within the app.  When it does stay connected the video is extremely laggy.

Is there a fix for this?  Is OTG support coming back in a future release?
2018-3-23
Use props
daveyspark
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I have similar problems......please fix the otg problem.
2018-3-23
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

What is the phone? I have the LG G5 released less than 2 years ago and I have no lag or anything. The phone should have a decent processor (SnapDragon 800 series) + ideally 4 gigs of ram.
2018-3-23
Use props
djiuser_hXGFjTkofHWq
lvl.1
United States

BeastMaster_101 Posted at 2018-3-23 16:13
What is the phone? I have the LG G5 released less than 2 years ago and I have no lag or anything. The phone should have a decent processor (SnapDragon 800 series) + ideally 4 gigs of ram.

Moto Z play less than 2 years old
2018-3-23
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Make sure your phone is in Airplane Mode and Bluetooth is turned off and try again, that may be the solution to your problem?
2018-3-23
Use props
djiuser_hXGFjTkofHWq
lvl.1
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-23 16:31
Make sure your phone is in Airplane Mode and Bluetooth is turned off and try again, that may be the solution to your problem?

So airplane mode to get Bluetooth off, then manually turn on WiFi to connect to spark remote?
2018-3-23
Use props
djiuser_hXGFjTkofHWq
lvl.1
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-23 16:31

I turned off Bluetooth but it only helped a litte
2018-3-23
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
United States

Do as many do, downgrade the app to 4.1.15 and use OTG
2018-3-23
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3745554 ft

Below you find my last thread in this forum. Ps: with no replies. Hahahahaha.
You see that’s not just an Android issue:

I was flying my spark in an empty beach, not a single person holding any kind of device near me. The AC was 120 meters high and around 500 meters from me.
Suddenly I lost the WiFi connection between the controller and the phone. It prompted “disconnected” on the DJI GO top screen.
Calmly I checked the WiFi settings but the SparkRC signal was nowhere to be found so I couldn’t reconnect it. I kept my calm and prayed for the god of drones to RTH my beloved drone.
My prayer was heard and I’m really glad the spark RTH the way it should. Then I cancelled the landing using the pause button on the controller and I landed it myself with the controller. Obviously I had no image transmitting to my phone. At this point the DJI GO was worthless.
The RC worked flawlessly to land it. The problem was the WiFi connection between RC and phone (iPhone 7 plus).
So I put another fresh charged battery and it worked with no problems at all.

questions:
Did it happen to you?
What should I do when it happens?
Should I turn the RC off and on and pray for it to reconnect to the AC and pray even more for the signal to appear in the WiFi list?

I’m trying to get rid of the OTG cable but these kind of things won’t let me. I can’t just pray for it to return. I felt my hands were tied, relying only on RTH system.
Any advice of how I should proceed in these situations and if there is any kind of procedure that I don’t know to prevent it?   
Sorry about my poor English, hope you guys understand. And sorry for the metric system as well. Hahahahahah
Have a nice weekend guys.
Fly safe!
2018-3-23
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

djiuser_hXGFjTkofHWq Posted at 2018-3-23 16:33
So airplane mode to get Bluetooth off, then manually turn on WiFi to connect to spark remote?

That is how you do it, try it out and see if that works for you?
2018-3-23
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

djiuser_hXGFjTkofHWq Posted at 2018-3-23 16:46
I turned off Bluetooth but it only helped a litte

You should also turn off Bluetooth, if all else fails you can do a hard reset of the drone and RC to see if your phone gets better signal?
2018-3-23
Use props
djiuser_hXGFjTkofHWq
lvl.1
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-23 18:39
You should also turn off Bluetooth, if all else fails you can do a hard reset of the drone and RC to see if your phone gets better signal?

The Android support is terrible.  I don't have an iOS device to use.  There is no reason for a phone to lose connectivity to a WiFi node (Spark RC) that it is sitting on top of.  
2018-3-24
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

djiuser_hXGFjTkofHWq Posted at 2018-3-24 08:02
The Android support is terrible.  I don't have an iOS device to use.  There is no reason for a phone to lose connectivity to a WiFi node (Spark RC) that it is sitting on top of.

It happens sometimes I just flew my Mavic Pro and the beginning of the flight there was interference because I didn't put the phone into Airplane Mode immediately.

After the first 1-2 minutes the signal regained and there was no breaking up anymore.
2018-3-24
Use props
Solestacz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489193 ft
United States

later versions of Android have a memory(battery) management feature - turn it off for the Go4 app. make sure no other apps are running in the background before flight. enable airplane mode and turn off bluetooth and the performance is = to iOs. i've run on both Android and iOs, and don't see a huge performance difference, provided the settings on the Android devices are all dealt with. (in USA)
2018-3-24
Use props
djiuser_hXGFjTkofHWq
lvl.1
United States

Solestacz Posted at 2018-3-24 09:51
later versions of Android have a memory(battery) management feature - turn it off for the Go4 app. make sure no other apps are running in the background before flight. enable airplane mode and turn off bluetooth and the performance is = to iOs. i've run on both Android and iOs, and don't see a huge performance difference, provided the settings on the Android devices are all dealt with. (in USA)

Thanks.

It's manageable but it still lags a lot of the time.  That makes it difficult to set up shots and keep my bearings. Starting out in Airplane mode isn't much of an option because I live in a warning zone so I have to futz with updating the unlock when I start the drone.  

An official set up guide from DJI would be great.  I realize that developing an app for Android is much harder than for iOS due to the varied hardware but the difference in performance of the DJI app between the 2 platforms is drastic.
2018-3-24
Use props
djiuser_hXGFjTkofHWq
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_hXGFjTkofHWq Posted at 2018-3-24 10:33
Thanks.

It's manageable but it still lags a lot of the time.  That makes it difficult to set up shots and keep my bearings. Starting out in Airplane mode isn't much of an option because I live in a warning zone so I have to futz with updating the unlock when I start the drone.  

DJI Go 4 updated today.

4.2.8 is a huge improvement.  Video shows no lag during a short flight.  I am really excited to try a longer flight tomorrow!!!
2018-3-26
Use props
putduc
New
Serbia

Please I have problem that anyone have... I Have fly more combo, latest firmvere and etc.

PROBLEM: I conect phone with Remote with WiFi, evreting is ok, than when i turn off Spark, conection betven Phone and Remote brakes and i cant see anymore WiFi of the remote it doesn exist until i shotdown the Spark??

Somebody please?
2018-5-20
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

putduc Posted at 2018-5-20 08:57
Please I have problem that anyone have... I Have fly more combo, latest firmvere and etc.

PROBLEM: I conect phone with Remote with WiFi, evreting is ok, than when i turn off Spark, conection betven Phone and Remote brakes and i cant see anymore WiFi of the remote it doesn exist until i shotdown the Spark??

Hi. I had a similar problem. I could connect to the RC with DJI Go at 2.4 Ghz. As soon as I turned on Spark, DJI Go would disconnect from the RC.

Using a wifi analyser on my laptop I could see the 2.4 Ghz RC WiFi . Once Spark was turned on & connected to the RC, the 2.4 Ghz WiFi link from the RC to DJI Go disappeared. Very strange!

Note: Initially I used 'Floater' to force FCC Mode.  That worked. Recently I also downloaded Red Waypoint but since removed the app as it was always running in the background & creating it's own directory...  then DJI Go app would fight for control?   I think using 3rd party apps with DJI Go installed causes problems.  

I don't have any WiFi 'devices' to monitor 5.8 Ghz, so I don't know if  I could re-connect at 5.8 Ghz with a capable device, nor can I use any WiFi analysers to check.

SOLUTION:
1) Pray
2) Remove DJI Go app & any 3rd party 'controller' apps from your device.
3) Reboot the DJI Go device (phone/tablet) & (re)install DJI Go.  
4) Turn on the Remote Controller.
5) Hold the POWER button on the RC for 9 seconds  -  wait for the beeps, then release.
6a) Connect to the RC via DJI Go & select DOWNLOAD the oldest RC firmware.
6b) Press the 3 lines in the top right corner of DJI Go app & hold in place until the options change. Firmware downgrade options are displayed.  Download & reboot RC.
7)  Downgrade the Spark firmware via DJI Assistant or via DJI Go with a 'WiFi connection?.  Reboot everything, reinstall DJI Go after deleting anything in the DJI folder.
7b) ...
8) Connect Spark via DJI Go directly (leave RC off).
9) Obtain firmware updates as suggested by the DJI Go app.
10) Reboot everything.
11)  Connect to RC & apply updates.
12 ) Reboot.
13)  Try the normal linking - Press 3 seconds on the Spark battery to enable linking & then press the 3 buttons on the remote or maybe via DJI Go.  Otherwise press the power button for 9 seconds on Spark  & remote - reboot & try again.
14)  Hopefully everything works

I
2018-5-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules