phantom 2 vision plus and ipad
1246 8 2015-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stinkbug
lvl.1

United States

Sorry if this has been answered, but a quick search left me even more unsure of the following question. What dji apps are available to control or use in conjunction with an ipad mini 2? I think I saw a youtube video with the iphone dji pilot app scaled up on the ipad?

What's the skinny?

thanks
2015-5-6
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

From what I understand you use the same Vision App for iPhone, the iPad just runs it in "iPhone" mode.
There is no standalone app for iPad for the V+.
2015-5-6
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Stink,

The DJI Vision app for IOS is designed for use with an iPhone, however, it can be used with your iPad Mini.

Jerry
2015-5-6
Use props
stinkbug
lvl.1

United States

OK, that makes sense, then.

Now, if I have an ipad mini 2 without a 3g or 4g connection (ie. wifi only) can I still check maps of where I WILL be flying in the dji pilot app while on internet enabled wifi (like at my home), then go to that location (where, of course I will lose that internet connectivity) and fly using waypoints, etc.? I assume this what is meant by "caching maps"?

Am I right?

thanks
2015-5-6
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
United States

stinkbug Posted at 2015-5-7 04:07
OK, that makes sense, then.

Now, if I have an ipad mini 2 without a 3g or 4g connection (ie. wifi  ...

Stink,

Yes, that would be correct. What I do, not sure it's necessary but I do it anyway while on wifi, is bring up the areas I will be flying in with the ground station module. I'll zoom in and out and go well beyond my flight area, just in case. Then I'll move to the next area and do the same. I haven't run into any issues yet with reaching any type of limit for the cached maps. You should be good to go. Obviously, you can free fly line of site anywhere. You don't have to have cached maps to fly. Remember to do the compass dance as you move from location to location and make sure you get the rapid green flashes for Course Lock and then the second set for Home Lock before you take off. If you don't your bird may be the next statistical fly-away as it may try to literally go home! Have fun flying and good luck! Make sure you share some video when you return!

Jerry
2015-5-6
Use props
stinkbug
lvl.1

United States

JtrJr-Droner Posted at 2015-5-7 04:24
Stink,

Yes, that would be correct. What I do, not sure it's necessary but I do it anyway while on ...

Sounds good, Jerry. Thanks for the detailed response. You have confirmed all that I assumed about the process. But, as I realize the "compass dance" establishes your home point I'm not quite sure what you meant about doing it twice to establish both "course lock" and "home lock"? I realize that I need to do the compass calibration at every new flight area, but I didn't realize I had to do it twice?

...Stink

PS - I really have to rethink that username
2015-5-7
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
United States

stinkbug Posted at 2015-5-7 18:50
Sounds good, Jerry. Thanks for the detailed response. You have confirmed all that I assumed about  ...

Stink,

No need to change the username, it's unique! I may not have explained the process very well. You don't need to do the dance twice. After you've done the dance and you are now preparing for flight. As the bird starts the process of acquiring sats and you're getting the green flash, then the red flashes for the remaining sat locks. At the very end of the process you should get the quick longer burst of green flashes (my understanding is the first burst establishes your Course Lock) you should then get a second quick longer burst of green flashes (The second set establishes your Home Lock). I hope that makes more sense. There should be two bursts at the end of the sequence, green burst 1=(CL) and green burst 2=(HL). Don't takeoff until you see both green bursts.

Jerry

2015-5-7
Use props
stinkbug
lvl.1

United States

JtrJr-Droner Posted at 2015-5-7 21:39
Stink,

No need to change the username, it's unique! I may not have explained the process very well ...

OK, makes perfect sense Jerry. I totally understand. I wish DJI would produce a little video or animation actually showing every instance of the drone's LED sequences with explanations. I don't believe there's documentation anywhere of what you just described. But, I wouldn't be surprised if someone on this forum proves me wrong with user manual page references (BRING IT ON!!!!)

Much thanks,

... not-that-stinky
2015-5-7
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
United States

stinkbug Posted at 2015-5-7 22:24
OK, makes perfect sense Jerry. I totally understand. I wish DJI would produce a little video or an ...

Stink,

Yes, I do believe it is documented. Be careful what you ask for though! There are a few people on this site that know these birds and their systems like the back of their hand (I'm not part of that distinguished club yet). You want docs, they'll give you docs!

Jerry
2015-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules